The "How do You Pronounce X" Thread

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
----
Smeric
Smeric

Re: The "How do You Pronounce X" Thread

Post by ---- »

The second, it's understood by the fact that it's already been mentioned on this thread (I think it was this thread) that IPA [oʊ] is represented by /ow/ or something.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Bob Johnson wrote:
linguoboy wrote:/'foyey/
IPA is really easy to learn; you should try it.
Look, I have a degree in linguistics from the University of Chicago. I learned IPA back when you were still shitting your diapers, I just prefer not to use it when phonemicising English. If you have a problem with that, there's a simple solution: Ignore my posts. (Another solution would be, of course, to learn Americanist notation yourself, but I get the impression that learning new things would be anything but "simple" for you.)

ná'oolkiłí
Lebom
Lebom

Post by ná'oolkiłí »

Out of curiosity, why do you prefer Americanist notation for phonemicizing English?

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

I would likely think that it would be for a reason similar to because most English speakers could comprehend the full measure of what's going on without much investigation in 'Americanist notation' since the way the sounds are written is natural to any English speaker; while (at least for me, and I'm assuming quite a few other people) you'd have to read IPA a lot slower to not make any mistakes in pronunciation, especially in a heavily phonologically complex language such as English.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

ná'oolkiłí wrote:Out of curiosity, why do you prefer Americanist notation for phonemicizing English?
Because it's easier and, in some respects, less misleading. There's no reason to use notation that's more precise than suits your purpose.

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

How do you guys pronounce "wool"? It appears like it would be pronounced with a /ʊ/ but I say it something like [wɤ̝ɰˤ]

faiuwle
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by faiuwle »

Well, I definitely have /ʊ/ phonemically, but the actual phone is distorted into [ɔ] or something by that [ɫ]. Sometimes it even seems like it's actually [wɫ̩].
It's (broadly) [faɪ.ˈjuw.lɛ]
#define FEMALE

ConlangDictionary 0.3 3/15/14 (ZBB thread)

Quis vult in terra stare,
Cum possit volitare?

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

faiuwle wrote: Sometimes it even seems like it's actually [wɫ̩].
This is very similar to what it sounds like for me, I thought it was a syllabic /l/ but I can definitely hear some sort of diphthong in there which is where I got my transcription of how I say it.

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

A while ago, I heard a Dutch speaking person (Den Haag dialect) pronounce 'googlen' (inflected form of 'to google', usually pronounced [gug@l@], with the original phoneme) as [kuX@l@].

I've heard /g/ in English words be replaced by [k] before, and to a lesser extent by [X] (which is probably due to the orthography) but both in one word is quite special. Perhaps it's analogous to the word <garage> which is pronounced almost invariably as [XAraZ@] (and also "bagage" as [bAXaZ@])

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

I have:

wool: /ˈwʊl/ > [ˈwʊ(ː)]

Note that it is clear it ends in an /l/ there as not only is the vowel backer than that from /ʊ/ alone, but also it behaves as if it had an /l/ at the end in context. E.g.:

wooly: /ˈwʊli/ > [ˈwʊːʊ̯i(ː)]~[ˈwʊɯ̞̯i(ː)]
woolless: /ˈwʊllɪs/ > [ˈwʊːʟ̞ːɨs]
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

My /l/ is freaking weird man. In the word 'woolless' it turns out to be uvular: [wɯʁɨs(ː)], or [wɤ̝ɰˤɨs(ː)], a pharyngealized velar. For wooly I have [wɯɫˤi]

TaylorS
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TaylorS »

linguoboy wrote:Just heard a variation on foyer I'd never come across before: /'foyey/.

(Yes, it's Americanist notation. GET A LIFE AND DEAL WITH IT.)
Whenever somebody says it "frenchy" I assume they are being pretentious pricks.

TaylorS
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TaylorS »

Theta wrote:How do you guys pronounce "wool"? It appears like it would be pronounced with a /ʊ/ but I say it something like [wɤ̝ɰˤ]
[wʊʟ̞]

Jetboy
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jetboy »

I just realized that I have, I think, /ð/ for the verb version of <scythe>, as in, "it scythed through the air", but /θ/ for the noun. So "The scythe scythed" would be /ðǝ saiθ saiðd/. Am I just freaky that way? I feel like this is part a more extensive pattern of English derivation, but if so, I'm forgetting other examples right now.
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
–Herm Albright
Even better than a proto-conlang, it's the *kondn̥ǵʰwéh₂s

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

Wreath/wreathe, breath/breathe, bath/bathe? There's a vowel change in some of those, though, aside from the [θ] to [ð] change...

Edit: Oops, not all of those have a vowel change...
Last edited by Lyhoko Leaci on Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

TaylorS wrote:
linguoboy wrote:Just heard a variation on foyer I'd never come across before: /'foyey/.

(Yes, it's Americanist notation. GET A LIFE AND DEAL WITH IT.)
Whenever somebody says it "frenchy" I assume they are being pretentious pricks.
I've only heard that word like three times and from two people only: a teacher and the principal of my high school, and they both used /ˈfɔɪeɪ/, didn't know it was uncommon. The real frenchy way would be /fwaˈjeɪ/ anyway.

Jetboy
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jetboy »

Yeah, that's the kind. I have /i/ (FEET) for both wreath and wreathe, though (I never actually thought about them being different before). Also, the other's finally come to me: the Greek -sis/-ze pairs, like analysis versus analyze.
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
–Herm Albright

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

wreathe (noun): [ʁʷiθ]
wreathe (verb): [ʁʷi:ð̞ ]
A couple notes:
You might notice that my /r/ here is different from what it is in all of my other glosses, and that is because after saying some words I've noticed that there's almost never coronal contact with my /r/, so the one that it is here is far more accurate.
Also, the [ð̞ ] is approximant-ish only in the citation form here, in all other forms e.g. wreathed, wreathes it's a fricative.
Last edited by ---- on Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

faiuwle
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by faiuwle »

Jetboy wrote:I just realized that I have, I think, /ð/ for the verb version of <scythe>, as in, "it scythed through the air", but /θ/ for the noun. So "The scythe scythed" would be /ðǝ saiθ saiðd/. Am I just freaky that way? I feel like this is part a more extensive pattern of English derivation, but if so, I'm forgetting other examples right now.
Huh, I actually acquired <scythe> as /sai/, without the /ð/ at all, though googling it now does confirm that that's wrong, or at least non-standard.
It's (broadly) [faɪ.ˈjuw.lɛ]
#define FEMALE

ConlangDictionary 0.3 3/15/14 (ZBB thread)

Quis vult in terra stare,
Cum possit volitare?

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

linguoboy wrote:
ná'oolkiłí wrote:Out of curiosity, why do you prefer Americanist notation for phonemicizing English?
Because it's easier and, in some respects, less misleading. There's no reason to use notation that's more precise than suits your purpose.
How about the fact that almost every person who will be reading your posts uses and is used to IPA? "Write for your audience", anyone?
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

AnTeallach
Lebom
Lebom

Post by AnTeallach »

Jetboy wrote:I just realized that I have, I think, /ð/ for the verb version of <scythe>, as in, "it scythed through the air", but /θ/ for the noun. So "The scythe scythed" would be /ðǝ saiθ saiðd/. Am I just freaky that way? I feel like this is part a more extensive pattern of English derivation, but if so, I'm forgetting other examples right now.
I have /ð/ in both. But perhaps my dialect is more accepting of nouns ending in /ð/ than some others, e.g. booth /bu:ð/, where I know a lot of people have /θ/.

spats
Lebom
Lebom

Post by spats »

re: θ vs. ð

I have the distinction in all of the following:
wreath / wreathe
bath / bathe
scythe (the tool) / scythe (to slice)
teeth / teethe

There's probably a few more I can't think of.

I really like the closed syllable/voiceless final noun vs. open syllable/voiced final verb alternation in English - I wish it were more productive.

Jetboy
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jetboy »

If someone said /buð/ to me, my first reaction would be to take it as a verb, since it reminds me of another alteration: shelf and shelve.
–Herm Albright

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

How about: 'olive oil' and 'soy sauce'? I've noticed that my parents both have olive "oil and soy "sauce, whereas me and both of my sisters have "olive oil and "soy sauce (please excuse the notation...).

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

[ˈɑlɘvɔʏ̯ɔˤ]
[ˈsɔʏ̯ sɑs]

I have the same stress pattern as you and your sisters. I've never heard it the way your parents say it.