Initial clusters reducing to single consonants

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
LoneWolf
Sanci
Sanci

Initial clusters reducing to single consonants

Post by LoneWolf »

I have only heard of a few languages where historically speaking virtually all of the original initial consonant clusters were reduced to single consonant onsets. In fact the only two examples I know are Korean and Lhasa Tibetan. However in the case of Lhasa Tibetan I have little to no idea what were the actual historical developments that lead to such a massive simplification of initial clusters. Does anyone know what were the sound changes that lead to this reduction of initial clusters? Also are there other languages where this has happened and what sound changes were involved in the reduction process?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm making a Proto-Conlang which allows initial consonant clusters. On the other hand I want most of the daughter languages to have simplified these initial clusters to single consonant onsets in all roots. So I'm looking for inspiration on how this might happen in a natural language.
"Brothers will battle to bloody end,
and sisters' sons their sib betray;
woe's in the world, much wantonness;
axe-age, sword-age, cloven shields,
wind-age, wolf-age, ere the world crumbles;
will the spear of no man spare the other."
-->Voluspa

Zhen Lin
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Initial clusters reducing to single consonants

Post by Zhen Lin »

Some of the other Sino-Tibetan languages are believed to have underwent the same initial cluster simplification, including e.g. Chinese.
書不盡言、言不盡意

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

One of these days I'll write a bot that automentions Tsakonian in any post about cluster simplification.

Although for onset clusters, the thing about Tibetan is that most, maybe all, initial clusters were actually preinitial + single-consonant onset (although in some cases, two preinitials were possible), so the "cluster simplification" was mostly just preinitials getting nuked.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Grimalkin
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Grimalkin »

Yep, Sino-Tibetan is a great language family for tracking all the different ways in which consonant clusters simplify. In many modern ST languages, preinitial consonants have disappeared, but not before affecting the tone of the following vowel. If I remember correctly, pre-initial s- generally put the vowel in a high tone, and I think an initial glottal stop tended to produce a low or falling tone before dropping out.

Another common feature of consonant cluster simplification is coalescence, when two segments merge into a single segment that has features of both the original sounds. /kw/ > /p/ is a very common sound change. /dw/ > /b/ is attested from Latin (not a Sino-Tibetan language obv, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a common sound change). Initial /s/ + nasal clusters might coalesce into voiceless nasals, which tend to be unstable, so they probably wouldn't last long.

Also, epenthetic vowels are your friend. A hypothetical Proto-lang root *stak might become satak in one daughter lang, estak in another, etc.

Hope this all helps, this post was a bit rushed :)

spats
Lebom
Lebom

Post by spats »

Spanish has lost a significant number of its initial clusters compared to Latin, either through simplification or epenthic vowels.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

epenthetic vowels and assimilation sound like would be common for initial clusters.

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

You could also look at loanwords in Finnish, such as ranta from the source of English "strand".
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

Magb
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Magb »

Nancy Blackett wrote:You could also look at loanwords in Finnish, such as ranta from the source of English "strand".
Finnish never allowed initial clusters to begin with though.

Grimalkin
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Grimalkin »

Nonetheless it's a good example of how initial consonant clusters can be simplified. I'd hazard a guess that the most sonorant consonant in a cluster tends to be the most resistant to dropping. To give another example, in Welsh, initial st simplified to s. Compare the words for 'star' in the three Brythonic languages - steredenn in Breton, steren in Cornish, but seren in Welsh.

On second thoughts, I'm probably wrong about the sonority thing. In many Sino-Tibetan languages, medial liquids have dropped out of complex onsets, leaving obstruents intact. Hmmm

MisterBernie
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by MisterBernie »

CV syllable wrote:On second thoughts, I'm probably wrong about the sonority thing. In many Sino-Tibetan languages, medial liquids have dropped out of complex onsets, leaving obstruents intact. Hmmm
In Finnish loaning, as far as I know, it used to be that simply all but the last consonant in a cluster got dropped. For example, skola -> koulu, stund -> tunti.
Constructed Voices - Another conlanging/conworlding blog.
Latest post: Joyful Birth of the Oiled One

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

LoneWolf wrote:I have only heard of a few languages where historically speaking virtually all of the original initial consonant clusters were reduced to single consonant onsets. In fact the only two examples I know are Korean and Lhasa Tibetan.
So what happened to Korean?
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

CV syllable wrote:If I remember correctly, pre-initial s- generally put the vowel in a high tone, and I think an initial glottal stop tended to produce a low or falling tone before dropping out.
Those are the effects of post-codas -s and -ʔ actually: -s produced a falling (or perhaps low) tone (去聲 qù shēng 'departing/leaving tone'), and ʔ a rising (or perhaps high) tone (上聲 shǎng shēng 'rising/top tone'). Old Chinese 數 *skrjo(k)s 'number' > Middle Chinese ʂju > Mandarin shù, Cantonese [sou˧]; OC 數 *skrjokʔ 'to count, to calculate' > MC ʂju > Mandarin shǔ, Cantonese [sou˧˥]. (These two examples come from William Baxter's reconstructions in his Handbook of Old Chinese Phonology, p.228)

To make the terms clear, Baxter reconstructs the structure of Old Chinese syllables like this: (pre-initial) - initial - (medial) - vowel - (coda) - (post-coda), ((C)C(G))V(C(C)).

Baxter presents three Old Chinese pre-initials: *ɦ-, *N- (some nasal consonant) and *s-. *ɦ- disappeared while voicing the next consonant, *N- only appeared before plosives and disappeared while nasalizing them, consonants following *s- generally disappeared leaving *s- alone except if they were coronal plosives (then they became affricates and *s- disappeared).

He also reconstructs the medials *-l- and *-r-: *-l- appeared after velar plosives (and possibly labials too) and disappeared while making them dentals, then there's also OC *hl- > MC tʰ; *-r- generally disappeared while colouring an unrounded vowel (by fronting it, sometimes lowering it) and/or making a preceding dental consonant a retroflex, or a preceding labial plosive the dental l-.

The problem with discussing initial clusters in Old Chinese is that they are full of controversies. Baxter's reconstruction while well known isn't widely accepted at all, on the basis that internal reconstruction can only take one so far. I should note that the entire thing isn't only his, but is based on various hypotheses of features that Old Chinese possibly had by looking at patterns and searching for traces. The problem is presenting them as a full reconstruction, it's quite likely that many other features didn't leave traces...

Old Chinese is "attested" in the sense that the texts are there, the problem is that figuring out its phonology is largely like reconstructing a proto- language.

Khvaragh
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Khvaragh »

Serafín wrote: Baxter presents three Old Chinese pre-initials: *ɦ-, *N- (some nasal consonant) and *s-. *ɦ- disappeared while voicing the next consonant, *N- only appeared before plosives and disappeared while nasalizing them, consonants following *s- generally disappeared leaving *s- alone except if they were coronal plosives (then they became affricates and *s- disappeared).
Are *N- and *ɦ- by any chance cognate to Tibetan 'a-chung?
لا يرقىء الله عيني من بكى حجراً
ولا شفى وجد من يصبو إلى وتدِ
("May God never dry the tears of those who cry over stones, nor ease the love-pangs of those who yearn for tent-pegs.") - Abu Nawas

Ser
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Ser »

Khvaragh wrote:Are *N- and *ɦ- by any chance cognate to Tibetan 'a-chung?
*ɦ- is said to be.

Grimalkin
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Grimalkin »

Ah, interesting. Thanks :)

Anyone know how good/reliable James Matisoff's handbook of Proto-Tibeto-Burman is? I has a copy and it seems quite good. It's got some information on Old Chinese too.

Richard W
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Richard W »

I'm surprised no-one mentioned Thai. There is a dialect that simplifies khw- > f- and kw- > f-, thus eliminating all the clusters that are still written in the standard language. The changes, if you start from the standard language, is otherwise the pretty boring loss of liquids:

kl-, kr- > k-
khl-, khr- > kh-
pl-, pr- > p-
phl-, phr- > ph-
kw-, khw- > f-

There's a possibility of tr- > t-, but first one should establish that the dialect ever had initial /tr/.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Qwynegold wrote:
LoneWolf wrote:I have only heard of a few languages where historically speaking virtually all of the original initial consonant clusters were reduced to single consonant onsets. In fact the only two examples I know are Korean and Lhasa Tibetan.
Clusters became tense consonants. The expected development of our hypothetical *stak would be *sttak > *ttak [where doubling represents tenseness, according to the conventions of Korean orthography; whether the tense consonants actually derive from geminates is a moot point]. Cf. MK stol "daughter" > ModK ttal (i.e. [t͈al]).

Another possibility (found in both S-T and I-E) which I don't think has been mentioned explicitly is vocalisation of liquids, e.g. Latin PLANUS > Italian piano. This can be viewed as intermediate between retention and full palatalisation (cf. PLANUS > Ligurian cian [ʧan]).

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

linguoboy wrote:
Qwynegold wrote:
Clusters became tense consonants. The expected development of our hypothetical *stak would be *sttak > *ttak [where doubling represents tenseness, according to the conventions of Korean orthography; whether the tense consonants actually derive from geminates is a moot point]. Cf. MK stol "daughter" > ModK ttal (i.e. [t͈al]).

Another possibility (found in both S-T and I-E) which I don't think has been mentioned explicitly is vocalisation of liquids, e.g. Latin PLANUS > Italian piano. This can be viewed as intermediate between retention and full palatalisation (cf. PLANUS > Ligurian cian [ʧan]).
Is Latin PLANUS > Spanish llano, and what is that occurrence called?
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Bristel wrote:Is Latin PLANUS > Spanish llano, and what is that occurrence called?
It's another instance of palatalisation, i.e. /pl/ > /pʎ/ followed by regressive assimilation of the stop. The initial development is the same as in (Standard) Italian, except here /ʎ/ delateralised to /j/. Gallaico-Portuguese shows the same further development as Ligurian (i.e. chão), but I believe there are some minor varieties in northern Iberian which preserve the /pʎ/ stage.

Some people claim these developments show that the palatalisation was a feature of Vulgar Latin, but I think that's refuted by the Catalan evidence: inherited initial /l/ goes to /ʎ/ in all cases, but /pl/ remains intact (i.e. pla).

Ser
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Ser »

linguoboy wrote:but I think that's refuted by the Catalan evidence: inherited initial /l/ goes to /ʎ/ in all cases, but /pl/ remains intact (i.e. pla).
And French [pl] in plein.

Unless it could be argued that Catalan and French depalatized the /ʎ/ later?

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Serafín wrote:
linguoboy wrote:but I think that's refuted by the Catalan evidence: inherited initial /l/ goes to /ʎ/ in all cases, but /pl/ remains intact (i.e. pla).
And French [pl] in plein.

Unless it could be argued that Catalan and French depalatized the /ʎ/ later?
That's why I think Catalan offers a stronger argument than French. Why would /ʎ/ depalatise after initial consonants but not in absolute initial position? Is there really such a salient difference between com a ploms and en cap lloc?

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

linguoboy wrote:
Qwynegold wrote:

Oh, that's interesting! Thanks! I thought no one would reply to this.
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Richard W
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Richard W »

The Indic languages also simplified their initial clusters. There's information on the simplification that took place in the development of Pali (which did however retain vy-) from a Sanskrit-like dialect in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pali#Pali_and_Sanskrit .

Several Tai languages, instead of simplifying initial /kr/ > /k/, change /kr/ to the aspirated consonant /kh/ parallel to their changes of /r/ > /h/. This is attested in the Northern Thai spelling conventions, as well as being fairly clear from the reconstruction of Proto-Tai.