Demonyms for staters

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Demonyms for staters

Post by Jipí »

hwhatting wrote:Sachsen-Anhalter
Sachsen-Anhalter: 84.5 KGhits
Sachsen-Anhaltiner: 220 KGhits

Personally, I only know Sachsen-Anhaltiner.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Nancy Blackett wrote:
finlay wrote:Who needs demonyms? We get by fine without one in Edinburgh.
Edinburghensian, finlay.
People don't actually use or know about that, though. I certainly don't. It sounds like a "learned" borrowing from Latin or something to fill a supposed gap. Also, it feels wrong because it requires you to pronounce it with /bərg/ rather than /bʌrə/ or /brə/ or whatever that final syllable is.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

My family's always used Edinbrese (unsure how it'd be spelt).

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

"Edinburgh people", "people from Edinburgh".

MisterBernie
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by MisterBernie »

E-cuppers?
Constructed Voices - Another conlanging/conworlding blog.
Latest post: Joyful Birth of the Oiled One

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

Edinburgher. Pronounced like Edinburgh, optionally with an extra /r/ at the end.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

It sounds sensible at first, but the burgh in Edinburgh isn't pronounced like the burgh in Pittsburgh or the burg in Hamburg. I've only ever heard "Edinburger" sarcastically.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

finlay wrote:It sounds sensible at first, but the burgh in Edinburgh isn't pronounced like the burgh in Pittsburgh or the burg in Hamburg. I've only ever heard "Edinburger" sarcastically.
To Americans it is, mind you, hence its sounding sensible to them...
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

No no, not like hamburger, [ɛdɪnbʌɻɚ] (substitute your particular /r/ which I forgot what it is)

This is a silly thread.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

That would come out as /ɛdɪmbɹəɹə/, though, which just sounds like a mispronunciation of Edinburgh.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

I'd still pronounce Edinburgher [ˈɜːɾɨ̃ːnˌb̥ʁ̩ˤːɡʁ̩ˤ(ː)]~[ˈɜ̃̂ːɨ̯̃nˌb̥ʁ̩ˤːɡʁ̩ˤ(ː)], as I pronounce Edinburgh [ˈɜːɾɨ̃ːnˌb̥ʁ̩ˤːɡ̊]~[ˈɜ̃̂ːɨ̯̃nˌb̥ʁ̩ˤːɡ̊]....

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

It's a) difficult to pronounce (I tend to go a bit non-rhotic when too many /r/s come next each other, for one thing, making it undistinguishable from Edinburgh) and b) impossible to spell. More importantly, c) it's not actually used by anyone. The problem is, people sometimes "posit" one, like nancy did, but they invariably sound wrong and don't catch on.

I have a slight tendency to think "Edinburran" as in /ɛdɪnbʌrən/, which would be regular from the point of view of adding /n/ to something ending in /ə/ or <a>. But again, nobody uses it and if you did make the regularization it would invariably be accompanied by 15 minutes of inward reflection as we wonder what the fuck the demonym is actually meant to be anyway, before just going back to "people from Edinburgh". Or "East-coasters"; although technically that's a larger area, it's usually invoked when comparing to Glaswegians or West-coasters.

Anyway, Travis, you are pronouncing "Edinburgh" wrong in that case. It doesn't have /g/. :)

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

linguoboy wrote:
Gulliver wrote:I see your states and raise you British denonyms.
I love it when a demonym has an obscure relationship to the corresponding toponym, particularly when some idiosyncratic Latinisation is involved, as with Cantabrigian or Regiomontano. It saddens me not to have more of these in the states. Imagine what a hard-on it would give Viktor to be a Districtensian!
Oh, beautiful names. That reminds me of an old Spanish-Latin dictionary I had (or still have but it's lost in my dad's book cemetery) with two appendixes: one for the case system and declensions, and another one, surprisingly, with a complete list of all the catholic dioceses in the world. It was fun finding names such as Neo-Eboracensis (New York), Sancti Ludovici (Sant Louis), Vashingtonensis (Washington), Ludovicopolitana (Louisville), Milvauchiensis (Milwaukee), Novarcensis (Newark), Novae Aureliae (New Orleans), Angelorum (Los Angeles)...
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Nancy Blackett wrote:
Edinburghensian, finlay.
"Edinbourgeois", a least for the middle classes.

A lot of those diocese names hurt my eyes, Izo, none more than Milvauchiensis. (Wherefore ch?) But I was thrilled to discover Sancti Ludovici on my dad's diploma. I was very sad to find out when I was a bit older that the city is not called "Sankt-Ludwig" in German or "San Luis Rey" in Spanish.

Cathbad
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Cathbad »

Slovene urban demonyms are usually formed with the suffix -čan (e.g. Ljubljančan, Mariborčan, Novomeščan...), which AFAIK has no function other than forming demonyms. Sometimes the č is dropped (e.g. Izolan). Regional demonyms, however, are formed with -ec, as in Štajerec, Gorenjec, Dolenjec etc.

Interestingly, demonyms for people from outside Slovenia may be formed with the "city" suffix - e.g. Američan, Newyorčan, Berlinčan - or with the "region" suffix - Nemec 'German', Bavarec 'Bavarian', Kitajec 'Chinese' etc. There seem to be no "city" demonyms being formed with the "region" suffix though, at least not productively. (Although there is at least one within Slovenia: Blejec, meaning person from Bled.)

For females, you add -ka, which is added on to the -(č)an suffix (e.g. Newyorčanka), but replaces the -ec suffix (e.g. Bavarka).

As for intra-USA demonyms, Slovene would form most of them with -(č)an, which does seem to be the more productive of the two options. Newyorčan, Floridčan... although we would probably say Kalifornijec for "Californian". (I don't even dare to think what the lectors would think up for Massachusetts or Delaware, though. Or Rhode Island, God forbid!)

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

Ive heard "Massholes" for people from Massachusetts several times. Obviously hasnt caught on in Massachusetts itself, though.
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

linguoboy wrote:
Nancy Blackett wrote:
Edinburghensian, finlay.
I read that as Eddybourgeois.
A lot of those diocese names hurt my eyes, Izo, none more than Milvauchiensis. (Wherefore ch?)
Hmmm, Maybe to assure the correct pronounciation of [k]? Since *Milvauciensis would be something like [milvaw'tʃensis] or [milvaw'sjensis]???

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yiuel Raumbesrairc »

linguoboy wrote:
Gulliver wrote:I see your states and raise you British denonyms.
I love it when a demonym has an obscure relationship to the corresponding toponym, particularly when some idiosyncratic Latinisation is involved, as with Cantabrigian or Regiomontano. It saddens me not to have more of these in the states. Imagine what a hard-on it would give Viktor to be a Districtensian!
Like Saint-Hyacinthe = Maskoutain?

Also :

Canadien, Britanno-colombien, Albertain, Saskatchewanais, Manitobain, Ontarien, Québécois, Néo-brunswickois, Néo-écossais, Princédouardien, Terreneuvien, Yukonnais, Ténnois, Nunavummiut
"Ez amnar o amnar e cauč."
- Daneydzaus

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Izo wrote:
linguoboy wrote:
Nancy Blackett wrote:
Edinburghensian, finlay.
I read that as Eddybourgeois.
LOL.
Izo wrote:Image
A lot of those diocese names hurt my eyes, Izo, none more than Milvauchiensis. (Wherefore ch?)
Hmmm, Maybe to assure the correct pronounciation of [k]? Since *Milvauciensis would be something like [milvaw'tʃensis] or [milvaw'sjensis]???
I presume so; it's hard to see reason for the ch otherwise.

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

Venedotian, Demetian, Gwentian, Powysian, and people from Clwyd who are too insignificant to have a proper demonym in English. (I've always been somewhat disappointed that "Gwentian" and "Powysian" aren't "Silurian" and "Pagusensian".)

The Native terms are, of course, Gwyndyd, Dyfedwyr, Gwynhwyson, Powyswyr, and pobl o Glwyd sy'n rhy ddibwys i gael gwir enw yng Nghymraeg. Clwyd, in contradistinction to the other areas, isn't a real "region", just what's left over after the rest. Nobody identifies as a "Clwydian".
Last edited by Dewrad on Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

Us Georgians don't have any super cool awesome demonyms ):

Davoush
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Davoush »

Liverpool: Scousers (or Liverpudlians, although Liverpudlians usually say 'scousers' when referring to them/ourselves, I don't really like the word though...)

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

Technically I’m an Ontarian, but no one ever uses the word in English.

faiuwle
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by faiuwle »

"Arizonan" may be uninteresting, but people from Phoenix are actually called Phoenicians.
It's (broadly) [faɪ.ˈjuw.lɛ]
#define FEMALE

ConlangDictionary 0.3 3/15/14 (ZBB thread)

Quis vult in terra stare,
Cum possit volitare?

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Ontarioans and Phoenixaeans, then.