Using Signing exclusively?

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Amuere
Lebom
Lebom

Using Signing exclusively?

Post by Amuere »

I was thinking today, while studying sign languages. Would it be possible for a culture to some how never develop, or perhaps even lose spoken language and exclusively use sign language? I know it'd be highly improbable, but could it happen?
Tjalehu ge frulehu, tjea ale stjindamihu? Dime sfraiaknanmi.

Economic: -7.33
Social: 0.31

blank stare II
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Using Signing exclusively?

Post by blank stare II »

Some cultures view speech volume differently than others. I read in national geographic about a culture whose members do not speak loudly very much because they view it as rude. If someone was about to get hit by a bus, of course they'd yell to warn the person, but under normal circumstances they wouldn't call for you across the room; they'd make their way over to you so they could use an inside voice. I also seem to remember Zompist talking about a culture whose members speak less as they get older. It was just part of their culture.
That being said, I think that once a species attains speech(only humans so far, at least on Earth), it's pretty hard to go back. There are too many advantages(e.g. the bus example above) in spoken speech to let it go.
I could see a hunter-gatherer people using only sign language in the bush; you don't want to scare off prey by vocalizing.
In the old movie Clan of the Cave Bear, about early humans, they seemed to use mostly sign language, supplemented by (minimal) speech. I think this was to imply that speaking was a newish thing among the cave men. I'm sure no linguists were involved in the making of the movie so I wouldn't trust it to be accurate about early-human linguistics. But I've sometimes wondered which came first: signing, or speech? Or if they developed simultaneously, as in the movie.
I get a big kick out of playing my own language game–it’s a unique thrill only conlangers know.
- J Burke

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

blank stare II wrote:In the old movie Clan of the Cave Bear, about early humans, they seemed to use mostly sign language, supplemented by (minimal) speech. I think this was to imply that speaking was a newish thing among the cave men. I'm sure no linguists were involved in the making of the movie so I wouldn't trust it to be accurate about early-human linguistics. But I've sometimes wondered which came first: signing, or speech? Or if they developed simultaneously, as in the movie.
Wrong. The Clan (who are Neanderthals) use mostly sign language, because their throats and what not aren't developed enough to make very many speech sounds. The Others (who are us) use speech. (Whether it's scientifically accurate is debatable, though.)

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Astraios wrote:
blank stare II wrote:In the old movie Clan of the Cave Bear, about early humans, they seemed to use mostly sign language, supplemented by (minimal) speech. I think this was to imply that speaking was a newish thing among the cave men. I'm sure no linguists were involved in the making of the movie so I wouldn't trust it to be accurate about early-human linguistics. But I've sometimes wondered which came first: signing, or speech? Or if they developed simultaneously, as in the movie.
Wrong. The Clan (who are Neanderthals) use mostly sign language, because their throats and what not aren't developed enough to make very many speech sounds. The Others (who are us) use speech. (Whether it's scientifically accurate is debatable, though.)
You made me interested, and this movie is on Voddler (which is actually really good these days), so I'm going to rent it some time! :D
Online dictionary for my conlang Vanga: http://royalrailway.com/tungumaalMiin/Vanga/

#undef FEMALE

I'd love for you to try my game out! Here's the forum thread about it:
http://zbb.spinnwebe.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36688

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Skomakar'n wrote:You made me interested, and this movie is on Voddler (which is actually really good these days), so I'm going to rent it some time! :D
Yay! But the books are (probably, I haven't seen the film) better. :P

blank stare II
Lebom
Lebom

Post by blank stare II »

I had planned on walking to the library tomorrow to find a new book to start. The Malazan thread almost had me convinced to start that series, but come to think of it I might go for clan of the cave bear.
I get a big kick out of playing my own language game–it’s a unique thrill only conlangers know.
- J Burke

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

What 'Malazan thread'?
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

blank stare II
Lebom
Lebom

Post by blank stare II »

My bad, "A Song of Ice and Fire" is what that post should have read.
- J Burke

cromulant
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by cromulant »

Amuere wrote:I was thinking today, while studying sign languages. Would it be possible for a culture to some how never develop, or perhaps even lose spoken language and exclusively use sign language? I know it'd be highly improbable, but could it happen?
No.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Amuere wrote:I was thinking today, while studying sign languages. Would it be possible for a culture to some how never develop, or perhaps even lose spoken language and exclusively use sign language? I know it'd be highly improbable, but could it happen?
Sure. Inheritable, genetically dominant hearing loss, and some genetic drift.
Some website wrote:On occasion, where the prevalence of deaf people is high enough, a deaf sign language has been taken up by an entire local community. Famous examples of this include Martha's Vineyard Sign Language in the USA, Kata Kolok in a village in Bali, Adamorobe Sign Language in Ghana and Yucatec Maya sign language in Mexico. In such communities deaf people are not socially disadvantaged.

JAL