The mechanics of animal vocalizations

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
sucaeyl
Lebom
Lebom

The mechanics of animal vocalizations

Post by sucaeyl »

I was trying to find some documentation on the mechanics of animal vocalizations, e.g., a cat's meow, a bird's chirp or dog's bark, breaking them down into POA and MOA, as is done for human speech, but I could find nothing on the net. Do any of you know anything on this subject matter?

Moreover, I couldn't even find a cross section of animal vocal tracts, showing the tongue, palate, etc. Even a diagram like this would be helpful.

Thanks ZBB

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: The mechanics of animal vocalizations

Post by Bob Johnson »

To start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrinx_%28biology%29

We've had this thread a few times..

sucaeyl
Lebom
Lebom

Post by sucaeyl »

Bob Johnson wrote:To start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrinx_%28biology%29

We've had this thread a few times..
For some reason the search function didn't work. Thanks for the link.

EDIT: But this still is just one stub, of one class of animal, of one organ, on what should be a rather vast topic.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

For animals with a larynx, IIRC, it's just the same as humans, except their larynx is high up in their throat and moves down when they vocalize, unlike humans whose larynx is permanently lowered. Boring.

Gojera
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Gojera »

My understanding is that birds and mammals have entirely different organs: birds have a syrinx, mammals have a larynx.A syrinx can do stuf like make two different sounds at the same time, or something. I don't know about reptiles and crocodiles.

Insects can make sounds very differently.

sucaeyl
Lebom
Lebom

Post by sucaeyl »

Gojera wrote:My understanding is that birds and mammals have entirely different organs: birds have a syrinx, mammals have a larynx.A syrinx can do stuf like make two different sounds at the same time, or something. I don't know about reptiles and crocodiles.

Insects can make sounds very differently.
I believe insects use stridulation. I'm curious if most vertebrates have analogous structures to human speech organs.

Rory
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Rory »

sucaeyl wrote:I'm curious if most vertebrates have analogous structures to human speech organs.
Yes and no. The basic structure is the same - larynx and so on. However, many animals do not have the "crossed pipes" that humans have, and as a consequence only use their nose for breathing and their mouth for eating. This has an evolutionary advantage, as you can't choke to death. Most animals, also, do not have voluntary breath control. They have as much control over their breathing as you and I do over our heartbeats. This limits the potential for vocalization somewhat.
The man of science is perceiving and endowed with vision whereas he who is ignorant and neglectful of this development is blind. The investigating mind is attentive, alive; the mind callous and indifferent is deaf and dead. - 'Abdu'l-Bahá