If I had a time machine...

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Nooj
Sanci
Sanci

If I had a time machine...

Post by Nooj »

I'm ticked off that so little information was documented for most of my country's languages. There were native speakers still living in the 1970s for dozens and dozens of languages, and even a day's elicitation would prove to be invaluable data. Especially in the context of language revival, where people are scrounging for individual words from 19th century word-lists like it's pure gold. I know Australia's pretty big, but it's just disgraceful.

sirred
Lebom
Lebom

Re: If I had a time machine...

Post by sirred »

This reminds me of the documentary the Linguists. They go to talk to speakers of, among other languages, Chulym. The linguists were told that, "if you had only come so-and-so long ago my uncle or my grandmother'd be alive to talk to you." The film was made four years ago and the last linguist who went down there had done so in Soviet times.
In every U.S. presidential election between 1976 and 2004, the Republican nominee for president or for vice president was either a Dole or a Bush.

Matt
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Matt »

Hear, hear. I'm studying Native American linguistics in the Southwest US, and every time I think there are under-documented languages around here, I try to remember how good we have it compared to Australia. There are so many interesting linguistic features in Australia; it's a real shame we know so little.
Kuku-kuku kaki kakak kakekku kaku kaku.
'the toenails of my grandfather's elder brother are stiff'

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Of course it's a field linguist's wet dream to go all the way back to 3500-ish BC when PIE is assumed to have been spoken. Or heck, go to Europe before PIE-speaking people arrived there to document pre-PIE languages.

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

Guitarplayer wrote:Of course it's a field linguist's wet dream to go all the way back to 3500-ish BC when PIE is assumed to have been spoken. Or heck, go to Europe before PIE-speaking people arrived there to document pre-PIE languages.
Yes. Europe must have been a fascinating world of languages before the spread of Indo-European, to judge from the meagre remains of that lost world (Basque, the three Caucasian families, traces of substrata in various European IE languages).

Well, we as conlangers cannot travel back in time, nor reconstruct the languages; but we can fill the void with our imaginations and invent languages that could have been. Old Albic is my attempt at one of those languages; there are several others in the League of Lost Languages.
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Hmmmm... If I had a time machine I would go to the time of the Minoan eruption. I would take a linguistic tour through Crete and the Cyclades and, for sure, I would admire the fateful eruption.
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

Izambri wrote:Hmmmm... If I had a time machine I would go to the time of the Minoan eruption. I would take a linguistic tour through Crete and the Cyclades and, for sure, I would admire the fateful eruption.
Hey, I think I'd like to see this the most. I love volcanology and Minoan archaeology.

Let me go with you! :D
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

Shrdlu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shrdlu »

Half-related question: what happend to the Palawa kani project?
If I stop posting out of the blue it probably is because my computer and the board won't cooperate and let me log in.!

bulbaquil
Lebom
Lebom

Post by bulbaquil »

Izambri wrote:Hmmmm... If I had a time machine I would go to the time of the Minoan eruption. I would take a linguistic tour through Crete and the Cyclades and, for sure, I would admire the fateful eruption.
Make sure you are close to your time machine while admiring said eruption, though, in case you need to use it in a hurry.
MI DRALAS, KHARULE MEVO STANI?!

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Bristel wrote:
Hey, I think I'd like to see this the most. I love volcanology and Minoan archaeology.

Let me go with you! :D
Come in!
bulbaquil wrote:Make sure you are close to your time machine while admiring said eruption, though, in case you need to use it in a hurry.
For sure! I don't know how far I should be from the volcano, though.
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

blank stare II
Lebom
Lebom

Post by blank stare II »

Attachments
time machine.JPG
time machine.JPG (20.62 KiB) Viewed 3550 times
I get a big kick out of playing my own language game–it’s a unique thrill only conlangers know.
- J Burke

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

Nooj wrote:I'm ticked off that so little information was documented for most of my country's languages. There were native speakers still living in the 1970s for dozens and dozens of languages, and even a day's elicitation would prove to be invaluable data. Especially in the context of language revival, where people are scrounging for individual words from 19th century word-lists like it's pure gold. I know Australia's pretty big, but it's just disgraceful.
Australian languages are nice, but they kinda seem to be 100 variations on the same theme. I would rather use it to try to get info on some of the extinct Penutian and Salish languages of America, and many extinct Khoisan languages of South Africa.
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

Nooj
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Nooj »

Australian languages are nice, but they kinda seem to be 100 variations on the same theme.
Isn't that the same with Romance languages? True, most Australians belong to the same Pama-Nguyan family. Still, there's some really interesting stuff there. Dyirbal for example does some really cool stuff with its absolutive-ergative system. Warlpiri is non-configurational and pretty much blows my mind.

sirred
Lebom
Lebom

Post by sirred »

blank stare II wrote:.
Peh! If Arnold has taught me nothing else, it's that you can't bring weapons back with you.
In every U.S. presidential election between 1976 and 2004, the Republican nominee for president or for vice president was either a Dole or a Bush.

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

Nooj wrote:

Australian languages are nice, but they kinda seem to be 100 variations on the same theme.
Isn't that the same with Romance languages?
Was... anyone suggesting we use the time machine for the (precipitously moribund !!!) Romance languages?
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

No, but nonetheless it'd be really nice to see how they evolved from Latin, since e.g. nothing is written significantly in French until the later 11th century, or in Spanish until the early 13th century. (Supposing they come from Latin in the first place...) How were cases gradually merged to a nominative vs. oblique distinction? How were all those Latin TAMs lost exactly (how did they gradually replace each other)? Was Old Spanish <f> before a syllabic vowel pronounced [f], [P], [h] or what!?

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

I'd study the poorly documented languages of southern Europe such as Etruscan.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

Bristel wrote:I'd study the poorly documented languages of southern Europe such as Etruscan.
Bring home an Etruscan translation of a major work of Greek literature (we know that they existed, but, alas, none has survived). That would be the Rosetta Stone by which we could unlock the secret of Etruscan!
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

author's website: http://www.smbc.com
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

richard1631978
Sanci
Sanci

Post by richard1631978 »

WeepingElf wrote:
Bristel wrote:I'd study the poorly documented languages of southern Europe such as Etruscan.
Bring home an Etruscan translation of a major work of Greek literature (we know that they existed, but, alas, none has survived). That would be the Rosetta Stone by which we could unlock the secret of Etruscan!
Getting a decent account of Etruscan was one of the first things that came to mind when spotting this topic. Claudius wrote a history of them, which is now long lost.

A translation of Linear A would also be nice, along with an explanation of what the Phaistos disc is supposed to be.

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

And bring me back a pony.
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

WeepingElf wrote:
Ertruscan was most certainly a fascinating language, I presume.
Decyphering it would be quite a feat.
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
http://www.dazzlejunction.com/greetings/thanks/thank-you-bear.gif
Sincerely,
sano

Echobeats
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Echobeats »

...I would charge historians a shiteload to use it.
[i]Linguistics will become a science when linguists begin standing on one another's shoulders instead of on one another's toes.[/i]
—Stephen R. Anderson

[i]Málin eru höfuðeinkenni þjóðanna.[/i]
—Séra Tómas Sæmundsson