English: long sandwich

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
communistplot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: English: long sandwich

Post by communistplot »

ná'oolkiłí wrote:
sau iala Caleone wrote:Here in Manhattan gyros are more common from my experience than Shawarma, there are a couple Arabic places, mostly downtown, but generally all the well known places are Greek or Greek-inspired, like Gyro II which has the best Gyros I've ever eaten.
Hahaha, I guess it's because I live downtown, but I see shawarma places everywhere but pretty few gyro places. Where's Gyro II, btw?
Gyro II is around 34th and 7th or 8th, I forget, I usually find it by sniffing. But yeah, up here in Washington Heights and around Harlem you mostly get Gyros in chicken joints, I detect a demographic pattern here, but yeah, only Jimbos has Gyros that are half as good. Also, for those looking to get a full meal I recommend the Gyro with Feta and extra White Sauce.
The Artist Formerly Known as Caleone

My Conlangs (WIP):

Pasic - Proto-Northeastern Bay - Asséta - Àpzó

Legion
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Legion »

Přemysl wrote:
Legion wrote:There's minced and minced~
Oh you mean it is spiced fruit? Or is it even yet another form of minced meat?
No I mean it depends how the meat is minced and reassembled. Minced meat by itself tends to fall appart, but there are various kinds of binders (such as egg) you can use to make it more solid. I can see it holding to a skewer if it's done the righ way.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Legion wrote:
Přemysl wrote:
Legion wrote:There's minced and minced~
Oh you mean it is spiced fruit? Or is it even yet another form of minced meat?
No I mean it depends how the meat is minced and reassembled. Minced meat by itself tends to fall appart, but there are various kinds of binders (such as egg) you can use to make it more solid. I can see it holding to a skewer if it's done the righ way.
Legion is right - basically it's like when you make meat balls, you mix egg yolk with the minced meat and it sticks together. BTW, I mixed things up in my previous post - shish kebab is indeed sliced meat, what I had in mind is lyulya kebab.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

hwhatting wrote:lyulya kebab[/url]
Which looks dangerously like ćevapčići. Long time ago I ate that, must've been in Sarajevo, 2001...

JAL

Gojera
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Gojera »

I grew up in Oklahoma, and I'd say the sandwich in the OP was a sub. The kind of meal sold by Subway.

When I was 15, I moved to and Ohio River town in Kentucky, and there was a sandwich shop there that sold things called "hoagies". I wasn't sure what those were, they looked an awful lot like subs.

When I lived in New York, I think I remember them being called "heroes". This was around the time that I was having to start calling "Coke" "soda", because if I asked for a coke in a restaurant, they wouldn't ask me what kind of coke I wanted, they'd just bring me a Coca-Cola (even if I wanted a root beer or something).

There is a semantic difference between subs and sandwiches though: I would expect that section of the menu to be labelled "Sandwiches & Subs".

A sandwich is comprised of two discrete slices of bread with fillings in the middle. It can also be used for a round roll that has been cut completely in half and filled with food, like a muffaletta. A burger is technically similar to this, I guess, but has split off into its own category. "Burgers" only go in the "Sandwiches" category of a menu if it's a restaurant that focuses on other kinds of food, like a steakhouse or Italian restaurant.

A sub OTOH is a long roll that is sliced lengthwise and opened, but not cut into two completely separate pieces: there remains a bread hinge connecting the halves. There are a couple of other things in this category, like a Philly cheese steak. Is a "Philly cheese steak" a sandwich? I dunno, I've never heard it called anything besides a "Philly cheese steak". But either way, a sub is not a sandwich in the way that a grilled cheese sandwich is a sandwich, or a BLT is a sandwich. This is also the problem with calling a hot dog in a bun a sandwich, or calling a brat in a bun a sandwich.

I first encountered the gyro in Oklahoma, where we first called it a /ˈdʒaɪroʊ/ before learning that it was correctly called a /ˈjɪəroʊ/ (it was the 1980s). There are gyro places all over the US, that's what it's normally called. When I lived in New York, there were some shawarma places, and I think the term "shawarma" is spreading. But "doner kebab" is an exclusively European term, which I've only seen in Europe, especially Germany. The only "kebab" I'd ever heard of before going there was when you take 1-inch chunks of beef, put them on a skewer between slices of bell pepper and cherry tomatoes, and grill it.

Gojera
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Gojera »

It's pretty remarkable that Inuit English has 40 words for snow sandwiches.

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

I've seen many signs for "shawarmas" here in Waterloo, ON.

Hakaku
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Hakaku »

Shm Jay wrote:I've seen many signs for "shawarmas" here in Waterloo, ON.
A shawarma is more of a wrap than a (long) sandwich. Same with gyros and donairs.
Chances are it's Ryukyuan (Resources).

Chargone
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Chargone »

answering the OP's question, having not read six pages on the subject of bread based meat and vegetable transportation:

What do you call it? a filled roll (probably, though the picture looks more like someone took the middle section of a loaf of bread or something rather than using an actual roll.)
Where are you from? Christchurch, New Zealand
Where do you live now? Christchurch, New Zealand
What else might have influenced your choice? ehh, Might call it a six (or twelve) inch (desired filling) sub (or Maybe sandwich) if i was specifically asking someone to get me one from Subway (yeup, they're everywhere.)

a sandwich is made using slices of bread from a loaf, generally, much as a burger is made using certain types of round bun. the same thing between slices of bread would be a 'salad sandwich with (meats, other specifics.)"

Gojera
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Gojera »

Yea, thank goodness we didn't get into wraps. Which are usually kind of gross, anyway.

Also:

This Is Not a Cheesesteak.

linguofreak
Lebom
Lebom

Post by linguofreak »

What do you call it?: A sub(marine sandwich). I wouldn't agree with those who say that calling it a "sandwich" is like calling your car a "vehicle", though. "Sandwich" is a fine generic term for it.
Where are you from? Colorado
Where do you live now? Texas
What else might have influenced your choice? The fact that it looks (sorta) like a submarine. Although the term apparently dates back to well before submarines actually looked like that.

As for the second picture: I'd call it a döner (kebab), owing to my year in Germany. I generally wouldn't call it a sandwich: I've described it to other Americans as a "Turko-German chalupa" (this, of course, only helps if you frequent Taco Bell).

As for magb's picture of a döner: Yuck! That is entirely too much sauce.

AudiblySilenced
Sanci
Sanci

Post by AudiblySilenced »

What do you call it? From most to least frequent: sub, sandwich, sub sandwich. When I was a kid, a hot sub was a grinder. Hoagie and hero takes me a couple seconds to process. If someone says submarine sandwich, I wince. I've never heard any other terms for it.
Where are you from? Chicago suburbs, Illinois, USA
Where do you live now? Central Illinois, USA
What else might have influenced your choice? I picked up grinder from a sub/pizza place I went to a lot as a kid, specifically for hot subs. That location closed, though, and I didn't find out there was another location until that closed too, so I never really formed a habit.
Přemysl wrote:People seriously call that a sandwich? I used the term for clarity but I would never call that a sandwich in conversation. If someone did I would question their fluency in English. To me it would be like saying they were going for a ride in their vehicle instead of saying what type of vehicle (car, truck, motorcycle, etc).
To me, what you're saying sounds like wearing sneakers and saying anyone who classifies those as shoes isn't fluent in English. I would have to question your understanding of shoes, sneakers, and subcategorization.
finlay wrote:also it contains salad, not "veggies". that sounds like child talk.
Whereas IMD, if you said you put salad on your sub, I would imagine you putting this on your sub, including the bowl. We say veggies, or perhaps vegetables.
Xephyr wrote:
Legion wrote:The only sub-kinds of sandwiches I'm willing to distinguish are hamburgers, kebabs and hot-dogs. Anything else that involves two layers of bread (or a single folded or sliced layer) and food in between is a sandwitch.
Hamburgers aren't sandwiches.

Hot-dogs aren't even similar to sandwiches.

Kebabs.... the fuck?
Anything wrapped in bread is a sandwich IMD, so hamburgers definitely are, even though I would never call them that. Hot dogs are also sandwiches, but if someone calls them that, I look at them funny. With kebabs, I would expect them to say kebab sandwich, but if he means shawarma, I would assume that to mean a pita sandwich containing shawarma.
AnTeallach wrote:And "veggies" are vegetarians, not vegetables.
I've heard that use of veggies before, but it still strikes me as odd.
Cro Magnon wrote:Old English is the father of modern English. Latin is the weird uncle who raised English in its formative years.
Collaborative Protolang

bornforwater
Niš
Niš

Post by bornforwater »

What do you call it? A sub (but smaller ones like the one in the picture are sometimes just called "sandwiches")
Where are you from? Savannah, Georgia
Where do you live now? Atlanta, Georgia
What else might have influenced your choice? My mother is from Germany.
Lëian nuv raact etemî, a iahb lëépasi ân bra.

Gojera
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Gojera »

So thinking about this more, we probably just don't have a clear taxonomy of sandwiches. Mostly because it isn't all that important, probably, so we haven't thought about it much.

We've been trained to identify, from a list of rabbits, deer, whales, and meadows, to identify the meadow as the item that doesn't belong on the list. Even though rabbits and deer live in meadows, while a whale has no real-world connection to any of those.

Perhaps so with sandwiches. Clearly a hot dog belong to the genre "food encased in bread", but people often interact with hot dogs in different contexts than BLTs or grilled-cheese sandwiches. Hot dogs are mostly an outdoor food, purchased from street vendors or grilled in the backyard, whereas the others are more usually cooked or eaten indoors. And so "outdoor food" vs. "indoor food" may be a more important distinction than "bread-encased food" vs. "non-bread-encased food".

Besides, if sandwiches defined as "food encased in bread" is the main category, of which other sandwiches are merrely subcategories, would not then pigs in a blanket and meat pies count as sandwiches?

Legion
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Legion »

Sandwiches are an indoor thing? That's a new one.

AudiblySilenced
Sanci
Sanci

Post by AudiblySilenced »

Gojera wrote:Besides, if sandwiches defined as "food encased in bread" is the main category, of which other sandwiches are merrely subcategories, would not then pigs in a blanket and meat pies count as sandwiches?
No, because pancakes and pie crusts aren't bread, per se.
Cro Magnon wrote:Old English is the father of modern English. Latin is the weird uncle who raised English in its formative years.
Collaborative Protolang

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

AudiblySilenced wrote:Anything wrapped in bread is a sandwich IMD, so hamburgers definitely are, even though I would never call them that. Hot dogs are also sandwiches, but if someone calls them that, I look at them funny. With kebabs, I would expect them to say kebab sandwich, but if he means shawarma, I would assume that to mean a pita sandwich containing shawarma.
A food preparation guide put out by the supermarket nearest me considers wraps to be sandwiches. Even in instructions for making them, .e.g, it says "the outer edge of the sandwich" So that goes against what I always thought of as a sandwich: namely, food stuck between TWO pieces of bread that arent connected (except perhaps by a hinge cut like they do with subs)
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says: