Write a diary

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Write a diary

Post by Skomakar'n »

Taernsietr wrote:@Sko: I kinda do that. However, for me it's much harder to find contacts, hence, I have less of a motivation to get out there and study. But I intend on starting by myself soon enough.

Also, how far along are you in Portuguese? I suppose you could teach me Norwegian if I helped you out with it? :P
I managed to have a conversation over a dinner and a walk with a Brazilian lady (we weren't the only two attending that dinner; don't worry :roll:) a while ago, but I don't practice it very often. I did have the entire inflectional tables for regular verbs in my head for a while, though. Not sure if I remember them completely anymore. I'll test myself right away.

Anyway, I'd be happy to! I will try to refuse to teach you Bokmål unless you also learn Nynorsk, though. :D Speaking of this kind of stuff, I just got in touch with a Danish guy from some other fora, to whom I'm now writing in Danish. Lots of fun.
Theta wrote:I started learning Hungarian a while back but I abandoned it for Georgian, which I abandoned for Vietnamese, which I'm actually working on. The diary thing is a good idea, maybe I could do that with Vietnamese; I have an empty notebook under my bed I believe. I'm worried that I might write these things and forget what they say though D:
All the more motivation to keep it alive. :D
Online dictionary for my conlang Vanga: http://royalrailway.com/tungumaalMiin/Vanga/

#undef FEMALE

I'd love for you to try my game out! Here's the forum thread about it:
http://zbb.spinnwebe.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36688

Of an Ernst'ian one.

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

I've pretty much mastered the grammar, but it's the word forms that are so confusing to me. They're all mono-syllabic and can have up to three different diacritics per word! It creates a lot of very similar vocabulary that I stumble over frequently. I'm getting better at it though.

Taernsietr
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Taernsietr »

Skomakar'n wrote:I managed to have a conversation over a dinner and a walk with a Brazilian lady (we weren't the only two attending that dinner; don't worry :roll:) a while ago, but I don't practice it very often. I did have the entire inflectional tables for regular verbs in my head for a while, though. Not sure if I remember them completely anymore. I'll test myself right away.
You still walked with her :P
Also, memorizing those tables is kinda complicated, since some constructions are replacing a few inflections (and becoming somewhat like English). I'm not sure how far this change has come in European Portuguese though.
Skomakar'n wrote:Anyway, I'd be happy to! I will try to refuse to teach you Bokmål unless you also learn Nynorsk, though. :D Speaking of this kind of stuff, I just got in touch with a Danish guy from some other fora, to whom I'm now writing in Danish. Lots of fun.
I don't even remember the main practical differences between the two :( I guess I'd be happy to learn a few things from either. There's a Danish guy in my college, but I hardly ever get the chance to talk to him. I wouldn't be able to talk to him in Danish though.

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Theta wrote:I've pretty much mastered the grammar, but it's the word forms that are so confusing to me. They're all mono-syllabic and can have up to three different diacritics per word! It creates a lot of very similar vocabulary that I stumble over frequently. I'm getting better at it though.
Yeah. I don't know any Vietnamese myself, but at least right now, its written form does look terrifying.
Taernsietr wrote:
Skomakar'n wrote:I managed to have a conversation over a dinner and a walk with a Brazilian lady (we weren't the only two attending that dinner; don't worry :roll:) a while ago, but I don't practice it very often. I did have the entire inflectional tables for regular verbs in my head for a while, though. Not sure if I remember them completely anymore. I'll test myself right away.
You still walked with her :P
Also, memorizing those tables is kinda complicated, since some constructions are replacing a few inflections (and becoming somewhat like English). I'm not sure how far this change has come in European Portuguese though.
Skomakar'n wrote:Anyway, I'd be happy to! I will try to refuse to teach you Bokmål unless you also learn Nynorsk, though. :D Speaking of this kind of stuff, I just got in touch with a Danish guy from some other fora, to whom I'm now writing in Danish. Lots of fun.
I don't even remember the main practical differences between the two :( I guess I'd be happy to learn a few things from either. There's a Danish guy in my college, but I hardly ever get the chance to talk to him. I wouldn't be able to talk to him in Danish though.
Aw. Well, learn any Scandinavian language, and you've got very little to learn in order to master another one (I personally don't consider Swedish and Norwegian separate languages, and Danish is just so marginal, so I can't decide where to place it, really – I understand it, after all, but it's phonology is more different).

So how would you like to get in touch with me in a more convenient manner? On MSN, or Skype, or IRC or something?
Online dictionary for my conlang Vanga: http://royalrailway.com/tungumaalMiin/Vanga/

#undef FEMALE

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Taernsietr
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Taernsietr »

Skomakar'n wrote:Aw. Well, learn any Scandinavian language, and you've got very little to learn in order to master another one (I personally don't consider Swedish and Norwegian separate languages, and Danish is just so marginal, so I can't decide where to place it, really – I understand it, after all, but it's phonology is more different).
I kinda think that of some romance languages, from my non-linguistics-expert viewpoint. As for Scandinavian languages, I've been seeing more Swedish than the other two, because of, mostly, Vintersorg :roll: but I always liked Norwegian better.

I'll PM you my contact stuff

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

finlay wrote:
Qwynegold wrote:
Viktor77 wrote:I'll do it, but I'm not guaranteeing English translations. I hate making the translations so I might just write strictly in my target language.
I'm not gonna translate into English. There should be some kind of special symbol one could use for marking that it's a diary entry so people don't start bitching. But what should we use? maybe?
oh right, i was wondering what that was. Can't you just keep it in this thread instead?
I'd prefer that, but Sko doesn't want us to for some reason.
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Qwynegold wrote:
finlay wrote:
Qwynegold wrote:
Viktor77 wrote:I'll do it, but I'm not guaranteeing English translations. I hate making the translations so I might just write strictly in my target language.
I'm not gonna translate into English. There should be some kind of special symbol one could use for marking that it's a diary entry so people don't start bitching. But what should we use? maybe?
oh right, i was wondering what that was. Can't you just keep it in this thread instead?
I'd prefer that, but Sko doesn't want us to for some reason.
If you're not going to translate it (which I still think is a bad idea), then sure, but if you are, then confusion and annoyance could be avoided by keeping "foreign language practice and assistance" in the same thread as for the past year. People are well aware by now that they can get and give corrections in that thread. Jumping between these two seems like unnecessary confusion to me. If you're not going to translate, though, posting it there will probably just be annoying.

#undef FEMALE

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

I think we definitely should translate it... Translation is good for you.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Skomakar'n wrote:If you're not going to translate it (which I still think is a bad idea), then sure, but if you are, then confusion and annoyance could be avoided by keeping "foreign language practice and assistance" in the same thread as for the past year. People are well aware by now that they can get and give corrections in that thread. Jumping between these two seems like unnecessary confusion to me. If you're not going to translate, though, posting it there will probably just be annoying.
@_@ Are you saying that untranslated diary entries can be put here?
My most recent quiz:

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

No! Don't say it!

Some people (i.e. me) might want to read your posts, but not want to Wiktionary every single word you've written.

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Qwynegold wrote:
Skomakar'n wrote:If you're not going to translate it (which I still think is a bad idea), then sure, but if you are, then confusion and annoyance could be avoided by keeping "foreign language practice and assistance" in the same thread as for the past year. People are well aware by now that they can get and give corrections in that thread. Jumping between these two seems like unnecessary confusion to me. If you're not going to translate, though, posting it there will probably just be annoying.
@_@ Are you saying that untranslated diary entries can be put here?
I'm saying that they're better off here, but I don't encourage them in either place. :(

#undef FEMALE

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Skomakar'n wrote:I'm saying that they're better off here, but I don't encourage them in either place. :(
Oh, OK.
Astraios wrote:No! Don't say it!

Some people (i.e. me) might want to read your posts, but not want to Wiktionary every single word you've written.
You find my diary entries interesting?? :)
My most recent quiz:

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Qwynegold wrote:You find my diary entries interesting?? :)
I'll never know until you translate them ;)