Sometimes-Crossed Letters

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Sometimes-Crossed Letters

Post by Izambri »

For the record.

Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Qwynegold wrote:
Skomakar'n wrote:Image
I don't see any G or Q. How the fuck do you cross those?
Through the tail (I give ‹G› a tail by extending the last stroke).
Online dictionary for my conlang Vanga: http://royalrailway.com/tungumaalMiin/Vanga/

#undef FEMALE

I'd love for you to try my game out! Here's the forum thread about it:
http://zbb.spinnwebe.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36688

Of an Ernst'ian one.

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

I can't scan, but:
I cross 7.
I put a left serif at the top of 1 to distinguish them from uppercase I and lowercase l.
I put serifs on both sides of tops and bottoms of uppercase I, so it won't get confused with lowercase l.
I cross Z and z to keep them unconfused with 2.
I slash zero 0 and write it very roundly to distinguish it from O, which I write squarely. This means I have to be careful to make D not look like O.

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

I:
do not cross 7
do not normally distinguish lower case l and 1, but sometimes add a loop at the bottom of lowercase l if distinguishing is necessary
do put serifs on both sides of tops and bottoms of uppercase I, so it won't get confused with lowercase l.
do not cross Z and z. Crossed z's annoy me for some reason.
sometimes add a loop on the bottom left of 2 to distinguish it from z/Z, but only if necessary.
do not slash zero 0 and may or may not distinguish it from O. Though O may be wider than 0.
do not cross lower case q.
do use an open 4.
do use <ɑ> instead of <a>.
Last edited by Lyhoko Leaci on Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

Magb
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Magb »

I...
- Always cross q.
- Cross 7 after the fact if I find that it looks too much like a 1.
- Usually put a serif at the top of 1.
- Sometimes put serifs on I ("eye").
- Don't think I ever cross Z/z, although I'm aware of the practice.
- Don't distinguish O and 0 at all.
- Always use an open 4.
- Always use the back rounded rather than the front rounded character for <a>.

I wasn't aware of the practice with the super-long extender on the 1. I find it upsetting.

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Thry »

Izambri wrote:For the record.

Hey, your handwritting looks quite like mine. Well, mine is worse. I have a <r> and <v> orthographical merger, and my <g>'s look a bit like elongated S's.

I also tend to mix up a lot <a>, <e> and <o>, and also <t> and <f>. No surprise I'm planning to study medicine xD.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

I:
do not cross 7
sometimes distinguish <l> and <1>, by writing <1> as it normally appears in fonts
sometimes put serifs on both sides of tops and bottoms of uppercase I, so it won't get confused with lowercase l
do not cross Z and z
distinguish <2> from <z> only by the curvature of the upper bit, when they're distinguished
do not distinguish <0> from <O>
do not cross q
do use an open 4
distinguish <a> from <c> only by the length of the bottom line, especially in faster handwriting

letter pairs that can be hard to distinguish in my handwriting:
1/I/l
2/Z
3/J/NG*
6/G
7/S/T/Y
8/X
12/R
C/L/c/h/(
S/s/(
a/c/e/r
k/lc/le
t/+

* I usually write capital <NG> as <3>, paralleling some yoghish thing for <ng>. It takes effort for me not to think of that as one symbol. I also get occasionally irritated that the standard symbol set has no one-character representation of "of", which in my handwriting is <φ>, even capitalized. ("if" is phi-bar, but I don't think I'd capitalize it as that. "and" can be either <+>, </>, or some weird Arabic-looking elongated delta thing, and there are generally semantic differences between the three, which is why my conlangs generally have two or three words for "and".)
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

Now that I have time:

Numbers, alphabet + ß,þ, and ð, as well as variants of some letters, some other things, and a partial fail at cursive. I'm not even going to attempt capital letters for cursive.
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Chuma wrote:In Swedish we tend to use colons - z:s. In case you were wondering.
Gulliver wrote:
finlay wrote:X is crossed.
Extra-crossed, then.
Actually the more I think about this one, the more I suspect it was a dream. :D
I've seen those too, in some fonts. I think that's just for esthetic reasons, tho.
I think it looks sloppy in either language. I either use '‹z›', or I write the entire word. 'Anna is spelled with two ens'. 'Anna stavas med två enn'.
Online dictionary for my conlang Vanga: http://royalrailway.com/tungumaalMiin/Vanga/

#undef FEMALE

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Ouagadougou
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Ouagadougou »

I'm pretty sure most gothic fonts cross X, but not all cross x.

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Eandil wrote:Hey, your handwritting looks quite like mine. Well, mine is worse. I have a <r> and <v> orthographical merger, and my <g>'s look a bit like elongated S's.

I also tend to mix up a lot <a>, <e> and <o>, and also <t> and <f>. No surprise I'm planning to study medicine xD.
That's not my best handwriting, to be honest, but the notebook had few pages and the spiral was too big, so my hand didn't have enough space to write comfortably.

Some of my gees, specially when writing fast, also look like elongated esses, with the upper curve so closed that look like circles.

And some of my rounded aes have so little tails that resemble oes.
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Skomakar'n wrote:
Qwynegold wrote:
And Q, you cross its tail too?
Skomakar'n wrote:I think it looks sloppy in either language. I either use '‹z›', or I write the entire word. 'Anna is spelled with two ens'. 'Anna stavas med två enn'.
How do you write the names of the vowels?
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Skomakar'n wrote:
Chuma wrote:In Swedish we tend to use colons - z:s. In case you were wondering.
Gulliver wrote:
finlay wrote:X is crossed.
Extra-crossed, then.
Actually the more I think about this one, the more I suspect it was a dream. :D
I've seen those too, in some fonts. I think that's just for esthetic reasons, tho.
I think it looks sloppy in either language. I either use '‹z›', or I write the entire word. 'Anna is spelled with two ens'. 'Anna stavas med två enn'.
Good luck with Y – I've seen the ways of writing it spelling-wise and it looks terrible either way. ("wye" or something, ugh)

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

We call it Ypsilon [ˈʏpsilɔn]:

A Be Ce De E Ef Ge Ha I Jott Ka El Em En O Pe Qu Er Es Te U Vau We Ix Ypsilon Zett.
/aː beː tseː deː eː ɛf ɡeː haː iː jɔt kaː ɛl ɛm ɛn oː peː kuː ɛɐ̯ ɛs teː uː fao veː ɪks ˈʏpsilɔn tsɛt/

This is probably another rather pointless post.

MisterBernie
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by MisterBernie »

Guitarplayer wrote:We call it Ypsilon [ˈʏpsilɔn]:

A Be Ce De E Ef Ge Ha I Jott Ka El Em En O Pe Qu Er Es Te U Vau We Ix Ypsilon Zett.
/aː beː tseː deː eː ɛf ɡeː haː iː jɔt kaː ɛl ɛm ɛn oː peː kuː ɛɐ̯ ɛs teː uː fao veː ɪks ˈʏpsilɔn tsɛt/

But is it [ɛsˈtsɛt] for you or [ˈʃaːɐ̯fəs ɛs] :P?
Constructed Voices - Another conlanging/conworlding blog.
Latest post: Joyful Birth of the Oiled One

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Good for you. We don't.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

MisterBernie wrote:But is it [ɛsˈtsɛt] for you or [ˈʃaːɐ̯fəs ɛs] :P?
The former. And I don't have [a(ː)ɐ̯].
finlay wrote:Good for you. We don't.
I expected that reaction from you. Hence:
I wrote:This is probably another rather pointless post.
If irrelevant/unsolicited information (i.e. "noise") was to be banned from the board, of course I shouldn't even have hit "Submit".

Now I shut up.

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Thry »

In Portuguese they also have ípsilon for <y>. In Spain, we go for i griega (or is it y griega?) "Greek i/y", but crazy RAE dictators now recommend the name ye ewwww. I'm never gonna use that.

Io
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Io »

Girls, girls, giiiirls, Frankie says relax 8)

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Same pronunciation as in Icelandic, which has also merged i/í and y/ý into the former. :D Spelled ‹upsilon› there, for that reason, as ‹u› is /ʏ/.

What I believe to be Standard Swedish pronunciation:

/aː beː seː deː eː ɛf geː hoː iː jiː koː ɛl ɛm ɛn uː peː kʉː ɛr ɛs teː ʉː veː/... uh...

Could it be /ˈdɵbɛlve:/ in Standard Swedish? I can't hear the difference between /ʉ/ and /ɵ/... Pretty sure they're merged into something more like /ʉ/ for me.

/ɛks yː ˈsæːta oː æː øː/? Or are they /ˈsɛːta/ and /ɛː/? I don't think I differentiate between /æ/ and /ɛ/ either, but I can hear the difference perfectly well between those. Just not sure which one is considered Standard here.

I pronounce all of those long /e/'s in there as long /ɛ/'s, and I tend to soften the gee in 'ge'. Like many Swedes, I usually just say 've' rather than 'dubbelve' when speaking of ‹w› when it isn't ambiguous, like when saying the address of a website or an acronym with one in it. For example, I read out 'WWF' as "ve ve eff", and I've never heard anyone say "dubbelve dubbelve eff". Same goes for 'www', being read as "ve ve ve", and that's also all I've ever heard. The full word is just too unwieldy.
Qwynegold wrote:
Skomakar'n wrote:
Qwynegold wrote:
And Q, you cross its tail too?
Yeah.
Qwynegold wrote:
Skomakar'n wrote:I think it looks sloppy in either language. I either use '‹z›', or I write the entire word. 'Anna is spelled with two ens'. 'Anna stavas med två enn'.
How do you write the names of the vowels?
‹a›, ‹e›, ‹i›, ‹o›, ‹u›, ‹y›, ‹å›, ‹ä› and ‹ö›.

#undef FEMALE

Of an Ernst'ian one.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Skomakar'n wrote:

Same pronunciation as in Icelandic, which has also merged i/í and y/ý into the former. :D Spelled ‹upsilon› there, for that reason, as ‹u› is /ʏ/.

What I believe to be Standard Swedish pronunciation:

/aː beː seː deː eː ɛf geː hoː iː jiː koː ɛl ɛm ɛn uː peː kʉː ɛr ɛs teː ʉː veː/... uh...

Could it be /ˈdɵbɛlve:/ in Standard Swedish? I can't hear the difference between /ʉ/ and /ɵ/... Pretty sure they're merged into something more like /ʉ/ for me.

/ɛks yː ˈsæːta oː æː øː/? Or are they /ˈsɛːta/ and /ɛː/? I don't think I differentiate between /æ/ and /ɛ/ either, but I can hear the difference perfectly well between those. Just not sure which one is considered Standard here.

I pronounce all of those long /e/'s in there as long /ɛ/'s, and I tend to soften the gee in 'ge'. Like many Swedes, I usually just say 've' rather than 'dubbelve' when speaking of ‹w› when it isn't ambiguous, like when saying the address of a website or an acronym with one in it. For example, I read out 'WWF' as "ve ve eff", and I've never heard anyone say "dubbelve dubbelve eff". Same goes for 'www', being read as "ve ve ve", and that's also all I've ever heard. The full word is just too unwieldy.
we're stuck with "double-u double-u double-u"... it's no wonder that 99% of advertisers no longer even say it at all, like they used to in the early days of the web when people needed to be told to put it in, and it's also no wonder that George W Bush pronounces it 'dubya'. We deride him for it, but it's a bit unfair, because I know that I personally never say /dʌbəlju/, at least consistently; it's usually more like [dʌbɪjy] or [dʌbjy] where the [y] is /u/.

Ulrike Meinhof
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ulrike Meinhof »

finlay wrote:we're stuck with "double-u double-u double-u"... it's no wonder that 99% of advertisers no longer even say it at all, like they used to in the early days of the web when people needed to be told to put it in, and it's also no wonder that George W Bush pronounces it 'dubya'. We deride him for it, but it's a bit unfair, because I know that I personally never say /dʌbəlju/, at least consistently; it's usually more like [dʌbɪjy] or [dʌbjy] where the [y] is /u/.
You should introduce /wi/.
Attention, je pelote !

Timmytiptoe
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Timmytiptoe »

handschrift.png
handschrift.png (53.56 KiB) Viewed 3989 times
This is probably even exaggerating the distinctions between letters in the top rows. :(

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Ulrike Meinhof wrote:
finlay wrote:we're stuck with "double-u double-u double-u"... it's no wonder that 99% of advertisers no longer even say it at all, like they used to in the early days of the web when people needed to be told to put it in, and it's also no wonder that George W Bush pronounces it 'dubya'. We deride him for it, but it's a bit unfair, because I know that I personally never say /dʌbəlju/, at least consistently; it's usually more like [dʌbɪjy] or [dʌbjy] where the [y] is /u/.
You should introduce /wi/.
wee is a synonym for 'pee', so i doubt it. (not so much in scotland where it means little, and i don't think it's used in america, so maybe only in england...)

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

finlay wrote:i don't think it's used in america
yes it is. or at least, it's around enough that it'd be recognized as that.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.