Cornish

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Gulliver
Avisaru
Avisaru

Cornish

Post by Gulliver »

One of my recent fleeting interests has been the Cornish language. It has an interesting history; it never really died out but did have some long patches when it was unlikely that two native speakers were in a room together.

Jenner's handbook gives a bit of background, and is worth reading because he's a good writer and more or less writes off several of his predecessors in amusing ways (one he claims basically could not understand that Cornish but was very enthusiastic and another who was Welsh and used to drift between the two language indifferently, so was pretty unreliable as a reference).

From what I gather, revival attempts have been moderately successful, but have been hampered by bickering about the spelling system. Historically, it was written using the an approximation of English spelling system at that time, and is fantastically inconsistent. Jenner seemed to find that all rather fun, but obviously people nowadays think differently.

Has anyone here studied it at all? How do the Welsh speakers among us find reading (or indeed, hearing) it?

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Cornish

Post by Yng »

It sounds like learner-language spoken incompetently by farmers. It's not too hard to read, once you get used to the weird word order and recognise some of the less obvious sound correspondences.
كان يا ما كان / يا صمت العشية / قمري هاجر في الصبح بعيدا / في العيون العسلية

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

Shrdlu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shrdlu »

Dew(god) - cognate to "deus" is the only one I can remember. I think I spotted an other one, too.

Edit: It was "Bewa" (to live), which is similar to Spanish "vivo" but with a few changes.
If I stop posting out of the blue it probably is because my computer and the board won't cooperate and let me log in.!

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

Does anyone get the feeling that Cornish looks a bit like a Zompist lang?
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

Shrdlu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shrdlu »

Bristel wrote:Does anyone get the feeling that Cornish looks a bit like a Zompist lang?
I haven't really done a good job now, but I can't spot any defining feature(something similar to the Welsh /w/ which is all over the place in that language) other than /y/ with an diacritic, so I am partly leaning to a "yes".

edit2: some text I found on the wiki

Code: Select all

Yma pub den genys frank hag equal yn dynyta hag yn gwyryow. Ymons y enduys gans reson ha keskans hag y tal dhedhans omdhon an eyl orth y gela yn sperys a vredereth.
    —Article I of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
Looks like Welsh with /w/ changed to /y/

also spotted an other Latin cognate, silver: "arghans", which is similar to "argentum", though some versions choose to spell it without /g/ for some unobvious reason.
If I stop posting out of the blue it probably is because my computer and the board won't cooperate and let me log in.!

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

Uh that's <w> and <y> because they're the written forms, not the phonemes.

Gulliver
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Gulliver »

Shrdlu wrote:also spotted an other Latin cognate, silver: "arghans", which is similar to "argentum", though some versions choose to spell it without /g/ for some unobvious reason.
/h/, /x/ and /ɣ/ were all commonly written <h> so <gh> and <h> were used somewhat interchangeably.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

I never realized how much Kannow looks like Cornish with grave accents until now. Welp.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

Nans yw adro dhe bemdhek bledhen, me a wrug dalleth studhya an yeth kernowek. Mes, soweth, me ny wra cowsel an yeth yn freth.
About fifteen years ago, I began studying Cornish. Unfortunately, however, I don't speak the language fluently.

In honesty, as a Welsh speaker with a reasonable knowledge of Middle Welsh and the other older stages of the Celtic languages, Modern Revived Cornish sounds to me like mediaeval Welsh spoken with a pronounced English accent. It's kinda cute. Structurally, the two are extremely similar, which isn't really to be wondered at, given that the revived language is based on an idiom which was contempraneous with Middle Welsh. On the other hand, most of the original high mediaeval literature is pretty boring. There's no Cornish Mabinogi or similar, just mystery plays and sermons.

I've never really been "involved" with the revival movement, but I have always been an interested onlooker, as some of the catfights and personality politics generated by "bickering over spelling" are highly entertaining. They have, with the adoption of a new "truth and reconciliation" orthography, died down somewhat recently though. Now it's just traditionalist blowhards maintaining that their preferred (and now defunct) orthography is still the one that's used "by the majority of Cornish speakers", that with the process of coming up with a single written form "they were robbed, guv" etc. The most entertaining part about the orthography bickering is that they all speak in pretty much the same way anyway.
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

dunomapuka
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dunomapuka »

Bristel wrote:Does anyone get the feeling that Cornish looks a bit like a Zompist lang?
Yeah, specifically Flaidish :D