"one" as [wQn]

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Legion
Avisaru
Avisaru

"one" as [wQn]

Post by Legion »

Wiktionary claims there are dialects of British English where "one" is pronounced [wɒn]. Is this true, and if it is, what are those dialects?

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: "one" as [wQn]

Post by Astraios »

All of them except posh people and Welsh people, IME.

EDIT: There's also people who pronounce <won> as /wQn/ too, but that seems to be a different thing. I have /Q/ in <one> but not in <won>, for example.

AnTeallach
Lebom
Lebom

Post by AnTeallach »

Legion wrote:Wiktionary claims there are dialects of British English where "one" is pronounced [wɒn]. Is this true, and if it is, what are those dialects?
http://phonetic-blog.blogspot.com/2010/09/one.html

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Astraios wrote:All of them except posh people and Welsh people, IME.

EDIT: There's also people who pronounce <won> as /wQn/ too, but that seems to be a different thing. I have /Q/ in <one> but not in <won>, for example.
Northerners only. It doesn't happen in scotland either, and I don't tend to hear it from southerners.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

So what happens to want in these dialects? (IMD, won, one, and want all have the same vowel, but I know Chicagoans for whom want is /wahnt/.)

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Nothing, I wouldn't have thought. It's just /wQnt/.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

linguoboy wrote:So what happens to want in these dialects? (IMD, won, one, and want all have the same vowel, but I know Chicagoans for whom want is /wahnt/.)
Mind you, these Chicagoans probably front historical /ɑː/ (LOT, PALM) to [a], resulting in a front-back contrast of [a] versus [ɑ]. (My mother has this, and she's from Kenosha.)
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

linguoboy wrote:So what happens to want in these dialects? (IMD, won, one, and want all have the same vowel, but I know Chicagoans for whom want is /wahnt/.)
I have /wʌnt/ – that seems to be limited to Scotland, at least in the UK, though. Most Englandy accents have /wɒnt/ and /wʌn/ - ie a different vowel.

Richard W
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Richard W »

The pronunciation [wɒn] for "one" and indeed for "won" is generally assumed to be a spelling pronunciation, which would make it a (lower?) middle class phenomenon. Other examples include "wonder" (thus homophonous with "wander") and "trouble". The prefixes "con-" and "com-" show a lot of variation between the two vowels, which is not to be confused with vowel weakening to schwa.