The word "register"

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: The word "register"

Post by Pthagnar »

treegod wrote:
"Please indicate when you are being sarcastic!"
I'll keep that in mind... :wink:
No.

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh »

Pthug wrote:
treegod wrote:
I'll keep that in mind... :wink:
No.
You caught me.

EDIT: re OP: never heard of a "register" in terms of heating or whatever. It's usually a list of student names in schools or a verb to "register" with something formal. Or a cash register.
It was about time I changed this.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

What I want to know is if this lack of the word "furnace" in British English to refer to a heating system for a house is because the Brits still somehow actually use boilers and hot water systems?

In the US we mostly use forced air, which requires a rectangular smaller furnace which fits easily in a closet, laundry room, basement, etc. My idea of boiler is exactly that of Kereb, the creepy room at school or at church as boilers are more or less industrial here.

We certainly have blast furnace, but there is no connotation of furnace with blast furnace unless blast is written there.

So far it seems register use corresponds with furnace use and is an American concept.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Davoush
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Davoush »

Viktor77 wrote:What I want to know is if this lack of the word "furnace" in British English to refer to a heating system for a house is because the Brits still somehow actually use boilers and hot water systems?

In the US we mostly use forced air, which requires a rectangular smaller furnace which fits easily in a closet, laundry room, basement, etc. My idea of boiler is exactly that of Kereb, the creepy room at school or at church as boilers are more or less industrial here.

We certainly have blast furnace, but there is no connotation of furnace with blast furnace unless blast is written there.

So far it seems register use corresponds with furnace use and is an American concept.
Yes, most British houses have a boiler which is connected to a central heating system, the heat comes out of radiators (which are warmed up by the hot water).

A furnace here usually refers to something big and industrial.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Davoush wrote:
Viktor77 wrote:What I want to know is if this lack of the word "furnace" in British English to refer to a heating system for a house is because the Brits still somehow actually use boilers and hot water systems?

Yes, most British houses have a boiler which is connected to a central heating system, the heat comes out of radiators (which are warmed up by the hot water).

A furnace here usually refers to something big and industrial.
So weird it's the opposite here. And stranger still that you all still use radiators. Radiators exist in older homes here, sometimes they are used, sometimes people have installed vents or registers. We definitely do not build new homes with radiators. They are unsightly and hot water is expensive and inefficient for heating and difficult for installing central air systems. We have four general types of central heating systems which are not by woodstove, pellet stove, or fireplace and they are a forced air natural gas furnace (most common) a hot water furnace/boiler (antiquated and it doesn't necessarily require old-style radiators), electric (cheap), and radiant (expensive hot water tube system but for under-the-floor heating for bathrooms, etc).
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

That post is so full of superiority it hurts.

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

My old house had radiators. I didn't find them unsightly because I considered them a normal element of a house, probably because a lot of the houses around where I lived were older houses and so they were relatively common in many people's homes. The cats sure liked sitting on them, so we used to put towels on their favourite ones to make them a little more comfortable. I don't know how they could stand it though because they get extremely hot, even with the towels.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Astraios wrote:That post is so full of superiority it hurts.
Only because your former colony has managed to invent a heating system that doesn't require water. :P
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

clawgrip wrote:I don't know how they could stand it though because they get extremely hot, even with the towels.
They're cats.

Viktor77 wrote:Only because your former colony has managed to invent a heating system that doesn't require water. :P
Nope, because people who act surprised when they find out that not everybody uses the same [heating system or other fancy schmancy modern comfort] they do are usually people who deserve a smack.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Astraios wrote:
clawgrip wrote:I don't know how they could stand it though because they get extremely hot, even with the towels.
They're cats.

Viktor77 wrote:Only because your former colony has managed to invent a heating system that doesn't require water. :P
Nope, because people who act surprised when they find out that not everybody uses the same [heating system or other fancy schmancy modern comfort] they do are usually people who deserve a smack.
Just face it. America has been one uping you since we dumped your tea in the harbor. :P
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Viktor77 wrote:Just face it. America has been one uping you since we dumped your tea in the harbor. :P
It's sad how much you're obsessed with that. Really sad.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Astraios wrote:
Viktor77 wrote:Just face it. America has been one uping you since we dumped your tea in the harbor. :P
It's sad how much you're obsessed with that. Really sad.
No, that's not me, that's the entire USA. See: the Tea Party.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Yes, and that just makes it even sadder.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Astraios wrote:Yes, and that just makes it even sadder.
We as a people have a short history so unlike yours which is long and complicated, ours is easy to learn and thus easy to be proud of.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

That makes absolutely no sense at all, Viki.

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

Viktor77 wrote:No, that's not me, that's the entire USA. See: the Tea Party.
shut up viki

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ol bofosh »

Viktor77 wrote:
We as a people have a short history so unlike yours which is long and complicated, ours is easy to learn and thus easy to be proud of.
A nation's history starts out of thin air???

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

treegod wrote:
Viktor77 wrote:
A nation's history starts out of thin air???
I don't know how Europeans think because I am not one of you but from those I met, they never seem to have a very prideful view of their past (unless they were like Greek or something), it seemed to be more pride of culture. I'd argue that in the US we are less prideful of culture and more prideful of our history. Our Constitution is viewed by many as carved in gold and the Founding Fathers are easily placed each on a pedestal. We're always trying to interpret things as they would have seen them (whether people's interpretations are wrong or right is irrelevant, it's the fact they do it.)
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Rui
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rui »

Speaking of boilers, do Brits call hot water heaters "geysers" ([giːzɚ])? I'm familiar with the term "hot water heater" (which, now that I think about it, is a little redundant), but I encountered the term "geyser" when I was in South Africa, and obviously they get a lot of their English terms from British English. Interestingly, ours in SA was manual, so we would turn it on first thing in the morning, and then we'd turn it off after everyone was done showering and stuff, and then it would last for the whole day.

Is there a more compact AmE name for them?

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Chibi wrote:Speaking of boilers, do Brits call hot water heaters "geysers" ([giːzɚ])? I'm familiar with the term "hot water heater" (which, now that I think about it, is a little redundant), but I encountered the term "geyser" when I was in South Africa, and obviously they get a lot of their English terms from British English. Interestingly, ours in SA was manual, so we would turn it on first thing in the morning, and then we'd turn it off after everyone was done showering and stuff, and then it would last for the whole day.

Is there a more compact AmE name for them?
Nope. I've only ever heard hot water heater or water heater.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ol bofosh »

Viktor77 wrote:I don't know how Europeans think because I am not one of you but from those I met, they never seem to have a very prideful view of their past (unless they were like Greek or something), it seemed to be more pride of culture.
True. I think a lot of European history looks so detached from modern times, its relevance seems distant. I mean who's interested in 1066? (damn the Normans). And though I'm not proud of being British I can be nostalgic about some bits of it. "British" (history and culture) isn't my identity, it's just an influence on who I am.

Living in Spain I've acquired a more global view of things, seeing my "nationality" and "culture" as smaller parts of a bigger picture. British history is a part of a European history, and that, part of human history. So when I ask "A nation's history starts out of thin air???", it's because I don't see the history of a nation isolated.

(sorry, "register" was it? :wink: )
Speaking of boilers, do Brits call hot water heaters "geysers" ([giːzɚ])? I'm familiar with the term "hot water heater" (which, now that I think about it, is a little redundant), but I encountered the term "geyser" when I was in South Africa, and obviously they get a lot of their English terms from British English. Interestingly, ours in SA was manual, so we would turn it on first thing in the morning, and then we'd turn it off after everyone was done showering and stuff, and then it would last for the whole day.
(ah, there we are!)

No. I could imagine it being used as part of slang or something, especially if hot water started leaking everywhere, but I've never heard a boiler called a "geyser".

Rui
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rui »

No, I didn't mean calling boilers "geysers," I meant calling the thing that heats the water for showers, sinks, etc. "geysers"

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ol bofosh »

Chibi wrote:No, I didn't mean calling boilers "geysers," I meant calling the thing that heats the water for showers, sinks, etc. "geysers"
Ahem... this is getting confusing. :)

In my house the thing that heats the water for showers, sinks, etc. I call a boiler.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

treegod wrote:
Chibi wrote:No, I didn't mean calling boilers "geysers," I meant calling the thing that heats the water for showers, sinks, etc. "geysers"
Ahem... this is getting confusing. :)

In my house the thing that heats the water for showers, sinks, etc. I call a boiler.
This is a water heater:

How can you call that and a furnace a boiler? When a repairman comes over, how does he know which to fix if you say it's the boiler?
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

The thing that heats water for showers, etc is a (hot) water heater.
The thing that heats air for heating the house is a furnace.
The thing that heats water for heating a building is a boiler, though these aren't as common now. (My old elementary and Jr. high school had them, both schools were connected by a tunnel with pipes, we would use said tunnel to get from the elementary building to the gym in the Jr. high building when it was cold out.)
The thing that controls air flow into a room is a vent. Probably the same for one controlling air flowing into a furnace, but I've never had a need to really refer to such an object before.
The thing that controls air flow in a chimney is a damper.
I would hope that there are no geysers ([ˈgaɪzɚ]) in the house.
Geezer ([ˈgiːzɚ]) is a term for old people, and a bit of an insult.
Typically, there are no registers in a house, aside from the sort in a computer. Or maybe a kid's toy cash register or something.
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."