The Innovative Usage Thread

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Haplogy
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: The Innovative Usage Thread

Post by Haplogy »

I find it peculiar that pretty much anyone who knows their IPA is happy to tell you that <j> in English is pronounced [d͡ʒ], while in my opinion, it sounds a lot more like [dʲ].
Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil!

Shihali
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Shihali »

Esmelthien wrote:I find it peculiar that pretty much anyone who knows their IPA is happy to tell you that <j> in English is pronounced [d͡ʒ], while in my opinion, it sounds a lot more like [dʲ].
I'm a fossil that retains pronunciation of "long u" as /ju:/ and to me <do> /du:/, <dew> /dju:/, and <Jew> /d͡ʒu:/ are all distinct in clear speech; the tip of the tongue is further back for each one and the release is different for <Jew>. (In fast speech, my /dj/ slips back to [d͡ʒ].) Whence come these English speakers you listen to?
Calakei gasu ga Ľikala, yau ciṙiwalau gasu ga Ľizeṙe ľi. - Hataučai Ihirašahai Tewa

Conworld Code: Gsff S2 Dnho O3 Tis CL++ SE3 CD3 CC3 CO3 E4 Pfb

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

linguoboy wrote:My student worker calls videocassette tapes "VCRs". I'm guessing by analogy with "DVDs" <=> "DVD [player]".
I guess that's okay if you consider them to be Video Cassette Records.

Jetboy
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jetboy »

My Shakespeare teacher has an expression "get dead" she likes to use semi-comically for "die," as in "And at the end of the play, Lady Macbeth gets dead." However, I noticed her use it transitively for the first time, meaning "kill," while we were discussing Richard III: "Richard gets Clarence dead." Apparently, it's an ergative verb. Well, then again, I suppose if we replace "dead" with "killed," it still works, so maybe it's just that "get" is an ergative verb.
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
–Herm Albright
Even better than a proto-conlang, it's the *kondn̥ǵʰwéh₂s

Vuvuzela
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Vuvuzela »

A friend of mine, who speaks a very colloquial English dialect, instead of saying "Give me a (thing)" says "(thing) me out." Recently, I heard him use it outside the imperative;when telling a story, he said "and then he papered me out, and..". This got me a wee bit curious; I wanted to find out if this could, in his dialect/idiolect replace "to give" in any situation. So I asked him "If I were to engage in sexual intercourse with a female person, and I were to contract a venereal disease, would it be appropriate to say 'she Chlamydiaed me out'?"
He said that it would sound weird, leading me to believe that one may only be considered to have been "(thing)ed out" if one had wanted (thing). But as I asked the question, I noticed an odd thing that occurs in my own idiolect. I say "(adjective) person" even when a word exists for "(adjective) person". This extends to agent nouns. I've caught myself saying "book-writing person" for "author"; "Football-playing person" for American Football player; and "food-cooking person" for Chef. It does not, however, extend to titles, I wouldn't say that Queen Victoria was an "England-ruling person".

Arzena
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Arzena »

I've been using drinken too much for comfort
A New Yorker wrote:Isn't it sort of a relief to talk about the English Premier League instead of the sad state of publishing?
Abi wrote:At this point it seems pretty apparent that PIE was simply an ancient esperanto gone awry.
Shtåså, Empotle7á, Neire Wippwo

TaylorS
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TaylorS »

I've realized that "tooken" is my usual past participle of "take".

Pinetree
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pinetree »

I often use "embiggen" in place of "enlarge"

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Arzena wrote:I've been using drinken too much for comfort
Not drinken, but often dranken here. But that ties into my dialect's whole tense/aspect thing with its past participles, which is a mess (it exists in alternation with drunken, drunk and drank).
TaylorS wrote:I've realized that "tooken" is my usual past participle of "take".
OTOH, I do use tooken a good deal. The same considerations apply with it here, though (it exists in alternation with taken and took).

We've discussed all these IMD in length, so I am not going to get into them again unless someone really wants to know.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

hubris_incalculable wrote:I often use "embiggen" in place of "enlarge"
Now that is quite the case of taking on neologisms there.

Shrdlu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shrdlu »

Speaking of dialects, wasn't there a guy here that said that he spoke an American dialect where the whole syntax was reversed and shit and stuff?

edit: here comes the remember-train:
He posted an example that went something like: "Strange my way of speaking it certainly is".
If I stop posting out of the blue it probably is because my computer and the board won't cooperate and let me log in.!

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Shrdlu wrote:Speaking of dialects, wasn't there a guy here that said that he spoke an American dialect where the whole syntax was reversed and shit and stuff?

He posted an example that went something like: "Strange my way of speaking it certainly is".
If someone said that, I certainly missed it. (Unless it was in the C&C forms, where then I certainly did miss it).

I strongly doubt such a dialect exists, but I should note that English syntax is much more flexible than people credit it with. For instance the example you give there is somewhat odd, but you can get away with it if you are trying to be poetic.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Travis B. wrote:I strongly doubt such a dialect exists, but I should note that English syntax is much more flexible than people credit it with. For instance the example you give there is somewhat odd, but you can get away with it if you are trying to be poetic.
It doesn't sound "poetic" to me. Take away the resumptive pronoun and it's something I can well imagine saying myself.

Can't remember if we've already discussed this: /hai(t)θ/ for height. First time my coworker used it, it was right after saying width, so I thought it might be an isolated analogical error. But he went on to say it twice more on its own nearly an hour later.

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

Shrdlu wrote:Speaking of dialects, wasn't there a guy here that said that he spoke an American dialect where the whole syntax was reversed and shit and stuff?

Yes, I'm very familiar with this dialect. I was raised in an area of Tennessee with many valleys, at least an hour's drive away from anywhere of importance. My family and everyone else in our remote valley spoke perfect unaltered 17th century English, just as the first colonists on the Mayflower did. The valley to the southeast spoke with unmarked OSV order as you describe. Unfortunately with the advent of television and the invention of General American, both dialects began to undergo language death. In the modern world, anyone who still claims to speak such dialects must be treated as a unique individual of special importance, and accorded as much attention as is appropriate.

Shrdlu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shrdlu »

I can't tell if you're mocking me or not. Come to think of it, I probably should written "claimed" instead of "said". Ah, fuck... now I have an mental picture of the post in my head. He wrote something about how elaborate the tense and aspect system of his dialect was and then ended with that quote, probably as an joke or to illustrate his point. If I only knew how the guy was I could point you all towards the post.
Last edited by Shrdlu on Mon May 14, 2012 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I stop posting out of the blue it probably is because my computer and the board won't cooperate and let me log in.!

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

linguoboy wrote:Can't remember if we've already discussed this: /hai(t)θ/ for height. First time my coworker used it, it was right after saying width, so I thought it might be an isolated analogical error. But he went on to say it twice more on its own nearly an hour later.
This may still be an isolated, idiosyncratic innovation nonetheless.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Bob Johnson wrote:

Yes, I'm very familiar with this dialect. I was raised in an area of Tennessee with many valleys, at least an hour's drive away from anywhere of importance. My family and everyone else in our remote valley spoke perfect unaltered 17th century English, just as the first colonists on the Mayflower did. The valley to the southeast spoke with unmarked OSV order as you describe. Unfortunately with the advent of television and the invention of General American, both dialects began to undergo language death. In the modern world, anyone who still claims to speak such dialects must be treated as a unique individual of special importance, and accorded as much attention as is appropriate.
yodaspeek

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

linguoboy wrote:Can't remember if we've already discussed this: /hai(t)θ/ for height. First time my coworker used it, it was right after saying width, so I thought it might be an isolated analogical error. But he went on to say it twice more on its own nearly an hour later.
I have this as well. And it's definitely affricated. Dunno if it's some weird influence of the spelling or influence from width (which I'm more inclined to believe), but it's definitely there. Heights though is solidly [haits].
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Drydic Guy wrote:
I have this as well. And it's definitely affricated. Dunno if it's some weird influence of the spelling or influence from width (which I'm more inclined to believe), but it's definitely there. Heights though is solidly [haits].
Okay, so with this in consideration it may likely be dialectal rather than being idiosyncratic.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Travis B. wrote:
Drydic Guy wrote:
Okay, so with this in consideration it may likely be dialectal rather than being idiosyncratic.
wait, so with one data point it's idiosyncratic, with two it's dialectal?

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

finlay wrote:
Travis B. wrote:
Drydic Guy wrote:
wait, so with one data point it's idiosyncratic, with two it's dialectal?
To determine this, more data points would obviously be desired, but with two data points for individuals who are not known to know each other indicates that it probably is not some individual's isolated innovation, that it is an innovation that likely caught on with a larger grouping of people allowing two separate people to pick it up. This would be less so if the two individuals were known to know each other, as then there is the possibility that the innovation did not spread very far and could still possibly be called "idiosyncratic", but this is not known in this case. (One could say that there is also the possibility that the two people individually separately innovated the same feature, but with this kind of feature that is probably less likely.)

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

heighth is common, i've probably heard it more often than not
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

"Barba faces a suspension hearing at her school today. Her father, Michael Barba, is calling her punishment “extensive” and is demanding she be allowed to return to school, that the suspension be erased and that she be allowed to submit the project as school work." [Source: http://www.care2.com/causes/take-action ... video.html]

Not sure if this is simply a malapropism or if "extensive" is actually moving into the territory covered by "excessive".

Jetboy
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jetboy »

I ran across <isn't> online recently, which I interpreted as indicating stress on the second syllable– except I can't imagine anyone saying /ɪ.ˈzn̩t/. I'm not sure whether that's some sort of formatting error, a writing convention, or actually reflective of a pronunciation.

I also managed to mentally produce "bebearded" meaning "having facial hair"
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
–Herm Albright
Even better than a proto-conlang, it's the *kondn̥ǵʰwéh₂s

Shrdlu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shrdlu »

Isn't, along with dosn't is the way I learnt to spell at school, also isn't is correct according to the spell-checker.