What's a good place to hear various languages spoken?

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

What's a good place to hear various languages spoken?

Post by brandrinn »

If I want to hear what, say, Mongolian sounds like, or Latvian, or Xhosa, it's not easy for me to find audio samples. Searching youtube usually returns lots of songs or language lessons mostly in English, but that's no good. I want just natural speech, as if I were eavesdropping. There was once a website that directed you to countless European radio stations, but it doesn't work anymore. Where do you all go for audio samples?
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: What's a good place to hear various languages spoken?

Post by Astraios »

Search harder on Youtube, there's plenty of amateur videos with just talking. Or Google "[language] online radio" or something.

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

Here's an audio of a rather-lengthly story (two, actually) in Klallam.
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

Radagast revived
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Radagast revived »

I hear New York City is a good place for that.

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

Whimemz: I was just picking random languages, but thanks for the effort. One of those sites was the Euro radio site I mentioned that is now defunct. Same with Tunein. But the south African station, I'm assuming you found with a google search? I'll keep trying.

And as for Youtube, I don't know what you mean Astraios by "search harder." There certainly aren't a lot of videos with "just talking." When you search for a language, it's 30% songs, 40% language lessons on elementary phrases, and 30% things that aren't relevant to the search. The only time I ever find a video on youtube that has just talking, it's an American high school kid vlogging about it with an atrocious accent.
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

Another good possibility: find out the name of the country/the president/king/some famous person (not a singer)/religion/food/etc. in the language you wish to study, including the native orthography. Search for that on youtube. You can probably find news stories or something in that language about that person or thing. The rarer the language, the more important/famous the thing/person you'll need to search for.
Last edited by clawgrip on Mon May 07, 2012 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vuvuzela
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Vuvuzela »

For Canadian Aboriginal languages, there's this
Last edited by Vuvuzela on Mon May 07, 2012 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sucaeyl
Lebom
Lebom

Post by sucaeyl »

Omniglot has short recordings for quite a few languages. Global Recordings Network is a religious site that has thousands of recordings of biblical stories in an impressive variety of languages. None of the recordings are conversational per se, but they aren't songs, lessons or video-blogs, either.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

clawgrip wrote:Another good possibility: find out the name of the country/the president/king/some famous person (not a singer)/religion/food/etc. in the language you wish to study, including the native orthography. Search for that on youtube. You can probably find news stories or something in that language about that person or thing. The rarer the language, the more important/famous the thing/person you'll need to search for.
I second that. People who post their own nattering or excerpts from films or TV shows on youtube normally don't put a "language X" tag on them, so to find them, you need to look for terms (names of celebrities, tv / radio programs, films, political or cultural topics) from that specific language / culture.