Discourse-Functional Grammar

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Jashan
Lebom
Lebom

Discourse-Functional Grammar

Post by Jashan »

Can anyone explain to me, relatively succinctly, what discourse-functional grammar is and entails? What it's key characteristics are? A brief example?

All I can find online are references to one specific college course, and a bunch of stuff on "functional discourse" grammar, but I have no idea if that's the same as "discourse-functional" (one would think, but if that's the case, I find it odd that some sources consistently use one and some sources consistently use the other, always in that order and always with or without hyphen).
[quote="Xephyr"]Kitties: little happy factories.[/quote]

merijn
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Discourse-Functional Grammar

Post by merijn »

I can't really help you, but there is some more if you google "Discourse-Functional syntax". Every inch of information points to it being (not very surprisingly) a functionalist framework, (or perhaps group of frameworks). It seems different from Functional Discourse Grammar (I don't see the names associated with Functional Discourse Grammar mentioned), and it doesn't seem to be a type of construction grammar, but that is as far as I can gather from the information that is scattered on the web.

Radagast revived
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Discourse-Functional Grammar

Post by Radagast revived »

As far as I know Discourse-Functional grammar is the same as Functional Discourse Grammar, the Dutch functionalist school represented by Kees Hengeveld who is developing the late Simon Dik's Functional Grammar. Several of the sites where I see it mentioned as "discourse-Functional" also mention Hengeveld and Dik. This article for example doesn't distinguish and clearly refers to FDG as d-f Gr.

Also this also conflates the two. It seems that perhaps the discourse-Functional variant is just the lusophone backtranslated variant.