AAVE names

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Re: AAVE names

Post by jmcd »

Indeed it's not just Brazil; I know someone here called Wilson. On the other hand, the annoying use of patronymics as forenames is also done by English speakers e.g. Macaulay Culkin.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Kereb
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Kereb »

Dewrad wrote:Nobody's yet mentioned the weird Brazilian habit of using pseudo-English surnames ending in -son as male personal names as a comparison? I've met and worked with a Jackson, an Eddyson, a Ramson, an Anderson, and there's a footballer with the first name Richerlyson (sp?).
yeah and Pelé is Edson Arantes do Nascimento
<Anaxandridas> How many artists do you know get paid?
<Anaxandridas> Seriously, name five.

patiku
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by patiku »

I have a print of a Brazilian comic that came out in 1939 where the main character is named Higgins, so this isn't a new thing.

installer_swan
Sanci
Sanci

Post by installer_swan »

Dewrad wrote:Nobody's yet mentioned the weird Brazilian habit of using pseudo-English surnames ending in -son as male personal names as a comparison? I've met and worked with a Jackson, an Eddyson, a Ramson, an Anderson, and there's a footballer with the first name Richerlyson (sp?).
It's made worse by pronouncing it as a native Portuguese word. I remember meeting an [udsɒ̃], and it took me a while to figure it out.
..- ... ..- --.- .. .-. --- -..-

Shrdlu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shrdlu »

Hudson?
If I stop posting out of the blue it probably is because my computer and the board won't cooperate and let me log in.!

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

installer_swan wrote:It's made worse by pronouncing it as a native Portuguese word. I remember meeting an [udsɒ̃], and it took me a while to figure it out.
I had the same problem once with a [vagiˈneχ]. I had to see it written before it made any sense.

Vuvuzela
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Vuvuzela »

linguoboy wrote:
installer_swan wrote:It's made worse by pronouncing it as a native Portuguese word. I remember meeting an [udsɒ̃], and it took me a while to figure it out.
I had the same problem once with a [vagiˈneχ]. I had to see it written before it made any sense.
Vaginer?

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

Vaguinêr would be the 'proper' spelling, I think.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Keep guessing!

tezcatlip0ca
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by tezcatlip0ca »

linguoboy wrote:
I'm going to go on an extreme guess and suggest that this is an over-excited prinunciation of Wagner.
The Conlanger Formerly Known As Aiďos

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

It's Vagina, but they have an intrusive r.

installer_swan
Sanci
Sanci

Post by installer_swan »

Aiďos wrote:
linguoboy wrote:
I'm going to go on an extreme guess and suggest that this is an over-excited prinunciation of Wagner.
<r> is commonly [h] or [χ] in Portuguese and consonant clusters tend to be broken down, so that seems right.
..- ... ..- --.- .. .-. --- -..-

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

People in Israel these days have horrible names... Akhzava (disappointment), Adolf (well...), Khalon (window), Shulkhana (table...fem?), etc. Some are disgusting and insulting, some are stupid, some don't make sense. They tried to implement naming regulations a few months ago, but I don't think it worked out.
Přemysl wrote:
Kereb wrote:they are nerdissimus inter nerdes
Oh god, we truly are nerdy. My first instinct was "why didn't he just use sunt and have it all in Latin?".
Languages I speak fluently
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Post by masako »

http://www.behindthename.com/top/lists/us/2011/100

At least in the US there does not seem to be a reason to worry about the ""degradation"" of names.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

sano wrote:http://www.behindthename.com/top/lists/us/2011/100

At least in the US there does not seem to be a reason to worry about the ""degradation"" of names.
Genesis? Trinity? Navaeh? Since when did we have a resurgence in Biblical names?* And are these just more white trash names like Faith and Hope?

*Besides the ones which have always been mainstream like Jacob, James, etc.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Post by masako »

Viktor77 wrote:
sano wrote:http://www.behindthename.com/top/lists/us/2011/100

Genesis? Trinity? Navaeh? Since when did we have a resurgence in Biblical names?* And are these just more white trash names like Faith and Hope?

*Besides the ones which have always been mainstream like Jacob, James, etc.
You focus on #'s 35, 77 and 84? Out of the top ten feminine names only three of them are "biblical" and none of them are what any reasonable person would call "white trash". Also, two of the names you list actually fell in popularity...What's the worry?

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

sano wrote:You focus on #'s 35, 77 and 84? Out of the top ten feminine names only three of them are "biblical" and none of them are what any reasonable person would call "white trash". Also, two of the names you list actually fell in popularity...What's the worry?
I begin to worry when #35 is Nevaeh which, besides looking difficult to both say and spell, looks like someone was an idiot and couldn't spell Nevada.

Also it's heaven backwards, what's next, Susej? You can't tell me that's not worrisome.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Post by masako »

Viktor77 wrote:You can't tell me that's not worrisome.
Yeah, actually, I can.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Viktor77 wrote:I begin to worry when #35 is Nevaeh which, besides looking difficult to both say and spell, looks like someone was an idiot and couldn't spell Nevada.

Also it's heaven backwards, what's next, Susej? You can't tell me that's not worrisome.
Well if nothing else, I also share your concerns. This combination of linguistic butchery and overt religiosity does not sit well with me.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Viktor77 wrote:And are these just more white trash names like Faith and Hope?
"White trash"? I only know one "Faith" and she could hardly be more of a Trixie.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

For what it's worth, from my perspective "Trixy" sounds even more lower-class than 'Faith', if that's possible.
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

linguoboy wrote:
"White trash"? I only know one "Faith" and she could hardly be more of a Trixie.
I've always thought of "religious word names," as I call them, as being white trash. For example, Faith, Hope, Destiny, Chastity, Nevaeh, Charity, etc. White trash tend to be the kind of people who give their children unrealistic names which sound like they carry "good values."
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Viktor77 wrote:
linguoboy wrote:
I've always thought of "religious word names," as I call them, as being white trash. For example, Faith, Hope, Destiny, Chastity, Nevaeh, Charity, etc. White trash tend to be the kind of people who give their children unrealistic names which sound like they carry "good values."
For me, "Faith" and "Hope" are in a different class from those other names because there's a long tradition of giving those name to twin girls (and naming female triplets "Faith", "Hope", and "Charity").

I've never heard of the name "Nevaeh" before, but it's ironic that is says "white trash" to you given that it was first popularised by a celebrity of mixed race (Southern European/Mexican/Pacific Islander).

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

linguoboy wrote:
Interesting that I have not heard any signs of the term Trixie leaking into Milwaukee from down in Chicago. Of course, I might not be amongst the right people to be familiar with the term in the first place.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.