Sounds That You Can/Can't Pronounce Easily

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
*Ceresz
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Sounds That You Can/Can't Pronounce Easily

Post by *Ceresz »

Or you could just upload it to zshare or something and then post the link.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Ulrike Meinhof wrote:
Qwynegold wrote:['ust]
Where are you originally from?
Finland. :oops:
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

*Ceresz
Lebom
Lebom

Post by *Ceresz »

That explains it :P.

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Hungarian <gy>.

Standard Swedish <gn> is not really a problem to me, but it sounds very stilted and is uncomfortable to say for me. I usually diphthongise the preceding vowel. While in standard Swedish <regn> and <lögn> would be [rɛŋn] and [løŋn], I just say something along the lines of [ˈʁɛɪn] and [ˈɭøyn].
Online dictionary for my conlang Vanga: http://royalrailway.com/tungumaalMiin/Vanga/

#undef FEMALE

I'd love for you to try my game out! Here's the forum thread about it:
http://zbb.spinnwebe.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36688

Of an Ernst'ian one.

*Ceresz
Lebom
Lebom

Post by *Ceresz »

Skomakar'n wrote:Hungarian <gy>.

Standard Swedish <gn> is not really a problem to me, but it sounds very stilted and is uncomfortable to say for me. I usually diphthongise the preceding vowel. While in standard Swedish <regn> and <lögn> would be [rɛŋn] and [løŋn], I just say something along the lines of [ˈʁɛɪn] and [ˈɭøyn].
Where are you from?

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Gotaborg or something, but we've been over him a million times: he refuses to speak standard swedish and speaks a hybrid form of Norwegian and Swedish that he pulled out his arse. Plus he then deigns to correct people's spelling. :P

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

*Ceresz wrote:
Skomakar'n wrote:Hungarian <gy>.

Where are you from?
That doesn't really matter, since I speak no single dialect. My idiolect is just a mashup of pronunciations of people I know from different places and from other languages I've learned, and it changes all the time. Originally, I speak some kind of mix between Västgötska and Göteborgska, but it has strayed far from that these days. I generally mumble a lot, and pretty much all of my <s> are [s_j] or something like that, which seems to be true for my girlfriend as well.
finlay wrote:Gotaborg or something, but we've been over him a million times: he refuses to speak standard swedish and speaks a hybrid form of Norwegian and Swedish that he pulled out his arse. Plus he then deigns to correct people's spelling. :P
Not a bad description, I guess.

I still write in Standard Swedish! ):
Online dictionary for my conlang Vanga: http://royalrailway.com/tungumaalMiin/Vanga/

#undef FEMALE

Of an Ernst'ian one.

*Ceresz
Lebom
Lebom

Post by *Ceresz »

Haha, well it's interesting I guess :P.

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

My girlfriend has some funny pronunciation going on too. She pronounces <skev> as [ske:v] and <varmt> as [vAmt`]. She's from the archipelago, though, haha. Aside from these words, she barely speaks the dialect, though. Her parents are from the mainland, even though she grew up on the island.

#undef FEMALE

Of an Ernst'ian one.

*Ceresz
Lebom
Lebom

Post by *Ceresz »

Skomakar'n wrote:My girlfriend has some funny pronunciation going on too. She pronounces <skev> as [ske:v] and <varmt> as [vAmt`]. She's from the archipelago, though, haha. Aside from these words, she barely speaks the dialect, though. Her parents are from the mainland, even though she grew up on the island.
Now that's really interesting to me since my Swedish is pretty darn standard.

<skev> [ɧeːv]
<varmt> [varmt]

I feel boring now haha.

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

*Ceresz wrote:
Skomakar'n wrote:My girlfriend has some funny pronunciation going on too. She pronounces <skev> as [ske:v] and <varmt> as [vAmt`]. She's from the archipelago, though, haha. Aside from these words, she barely speaks the dialect, though. Her parents are from the mainland, even though she grew up on the island.
Now that's really interesting to me since my Swedish is pretty darn standard.

<skev> [ɧeːv]
<varmt> [varmt]

I feel boring now haha.
Those who really speak the island dialect as it should be, pronounce all instances of <sk> as [sk]. I've heard her say [ˈskɪŋka] too, but that was to her brother and I think that was just for fun.

For me, they are [ˈʃɛɪ]~[ˈʃaɪ] and [vɑrmt], I think.

#undef FEMALE

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Magb
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Magb »

"Varmt" is widely pronounced [vAn`t`] in eastern Norway, but [vAmt`] is a real head-scratcher. Some sort of metathesis I guess?

*Ceresz
Lebom
Lebom

Post by *Ceresz »

Skomakar'n wrote: Those who really speak the island dialect as it should be, pronounce all instances of <sk> as [sk]. I've heard her say [ˈskɪŋka] too, but that was to her brother and I think that was just for fun.

[sk] is just weird to my ears. I'm fine with [ɕ] or [ʃ] where I would use [ɧ]. [sk] seems like a spelling pronunciation.
I'm not too knowledgeable about dialects, but it's interesting nonetheless. It's certainly more interesting than standard pronunciation, which I use. Mostly at least.

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Magb wrote:
"Varmt" is widely pronounced [vAn`t`] in eastern Norway, but [vAmt`] is a real head-scratcher. Some sort of metathesis I guess?
[vAmt`] sounds more logical to me...
*Ceresz wrote:
Skomakar'n wrote: Those who really speak the island dialect as it should be, pronounce all instances of <sk> as [sk]. I've heard her say [ˈskɪŋka] too, but that was to her brother and I think that was just for fun.

[sk] is just weird to my ears. I'm fine with [ɕ] or [ʃ] where I would use [ɧ]. [sk] seems like a spelling pronunciation.
I'm not too knowledgeable about dialects, but it's interesting nonetheless. It's certainly more interesting than standard pronunciation, which I use. Mostly at least.
My guess has been that <sk> just never really developed any palatalisation in the archipelago.

#undef FEMALE

Of an Ernst'ian one.

*Ceresz
Lebom
Lebom

Post by *Ceresz »

Skomakar'n wrote: My guess has been that <sk> just never really developed any palatalisation in the archipelago.
Could be.

I think I only have [sk] when distinguishing it from a word which isn't pronounced differently except for [sk] vs [ɦ] (or well, mayble not only, but you know what I mean).

<skor> [skuːr] <jour> [ɦuːr]
<skal> [skɑːl] <sjal> [ɦɑːl]

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

*Ceresz wrote:
Skomakar'n wrote: My guess has been that <sk> just never really developed any palatalisation in the archipelago.
Could be.

I think I only have [sk] when distinguishing it from a word which isn't pronounced differently except for [sk] vs [ɦ] (or well, mayble not only, but you know what I mean).

<skor> [skuːr] <jour> [ɦuːr]
<skal> [skɑːl] <sjal> [ɦɑːl]
I guess this would be true for most people.

On the other hand, I barely distinguish <tjej>, <sked>, <skev> and <chai>. My girlfriend and I noticed this.

#undef FEMALE

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Magb
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Magb »

A bit more on topic: I think I can do creaky voice, but I can only seem do it inappropriately loudly. I have a similar problem with vowels coming directly after ejectives. This is probably an indication that I'm Doing It Wrong.

*Ceresz
Lebom
Lebom

Post by *Ceresz »

Skomakar'n wrote: I guess this would be true for most people.

On the other hand, I barely distinguish <tjej>, <sked>, <skev> and <chai>. My girlfriend and I noticed this.
Yeah, but it's far more interesting when it's not.

[ɕɛj] [ɧeːd] [ɧeːv] [ɕaj]

How would you pronounce them?

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

When I pronounce a /t/ right after an /n/ (in a word like <vatten> which I pronounce /vatn/), I get some strange blowing in my nose between them.

#undef FEMALE

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Skomakar'n wrote:When I pronounce a /t/ right after an /n/ (in a word like <vatten> which I pronounce /vatn/), I get some strange blowing in my nose between them.
*Ceresz wrote:
Skomakar'n wrote: I guess this would be true for most people.

Yeah, but it's far more interesting when it's not.

[ɕɛj] [ɧeːd] [ɧeːv] [ɕaj]

How would you pronounce them?
Some variation of [ˈ(t)ʃɛɪ]~[ˈ(t)ʃaɪ], I think.

#undef FEMALE

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Xonen
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Xonen »

Magb wrote:
Possibly, but it could also have gone simply something like [vAr\`mt] > [vAr\`mt`] > [vAmt`]. Assimilation doesn't always require the sounds to be immediately next to each other, cf. for instance the very similar development of retroflex consonants in Sanskrit, or the umlaut in Germanic.

Oh, and an addendum on the original topic: Tones, of course. I think I can do the Standard Chinese tones reasonably well in isolation, but in anything even remotely approaching a normal rate of speech it's just hopeless.
[quote="Funkypudding"]Read Tuomas' sig.[/quote]

sirred
Lebom
Lebom

Post by sirred »

I am a native speaker of American English. As a child I conflated the dental fricatives with the voiceless labialdental fricative /f/. With training I produced a dental fricative but ONLY the voiced. Incidentally, I also failed to produce l-blends, whatever that is, and r's. Somehow this combines to make me sound like I'm from Boston to non-Bostonians and somewhere else to Bostonians (I don't pronounce their vowels). Yay me!
In every U.S. presidential election between 1976 and 2004, the Republican nominee for president or for vice president was either a Dole or a Bush.

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

Skomakar'n wrote:When I pronounce a /t/ right after an /n/ (in a word like <vatten> which I pronounce /vatn/), I get some strange blowing in my nose between them.
Voiceless nasals? Do they exist in Swedish?
This word also exists in Dutch (to understand, to grab), and in my dialect it's [vA?n] with a syllabic /n/.

In Dutch, my <oo> (usually transcribed [oU]) is quite weird. The first part of the diphthong is unrounded, and the second part rounded for me. It seems reasonably common in dialects of western Holland, but I am not from that region ! Though I do live there now, I grew up in Zeeland (southwest of the Netherlands, not in Holland).

As for exotic sounds, I can pronounce them all, from ejectives to implosives to clicks. I cannot, however, pronounce the uvular trill R properly. I also can't pronounce uvular-based clicks (most clicks are made at the velum, but some wonky languages seem to have contrasting sets of uvular and velar based clicks).

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

You mean, right before? :P

Yeah, this is a period of voicelessness before the voice onset in the nasal. This is one of those cases where the IPA isn't really adequate to transcribe it because you need to think about the different processes that are going on – tongue up to make the closure, voicing off for t, velum down to make n, voicing on for n, etc. You obviously have some sort of non-simultaneity on the final two. Some others might make the two articulatory gestures simultaneously, or the other way around.

It's the same sort of non-simultaneity, incidentally, that makes 'mints' and 'mince' homophones for many english speakers.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

finlay wrote:It's the same sort of non-simultaneity, incidentally, that makes 'mints' and 'mince' homophones for many english speakers.
Is it this too when both of those words have a glottal stop between the /n/ and the /s/?