How do you pronounce "Wikipedia"?

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Peacekeeper
Sanci
Sanci

Re: How do you pronounce "Wikipedia"?

Post by Peacekeeper »

I think I pronounce it /wɪkɪ'pi:dɪə/ in English, /wɪkɪ'pe:dja/ in Swedish. Yeah, I retain the /w/. So sue me. ;)
[size=200]L・ロビン・ニルソン[/size]

[url]http://www.politicalcompass.org[/url]
[b]Economic Left/Right: 9.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.21[/b]

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

[w] always reminds me of Surinam Dutch. We use [ʋ]. I'll also pronounce a very clear [w] if I try to mimick RP English.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

AnTeallach wrote:
TaylorS wrote:
AnTeallach wrote:
Travis B. wrote:This kind of thing is why we need better surveying of what is actually going on in NAE dialects rather than just the typical old Labovian vowel isogloss mapping alone...
At least your side of the Atlantic has "Labovian vowel isogloss mapping".
It was my understanding that British dialects are fairly well documented compared to most American ones.
Sort of. Traditional rural dialects are very well documented, thanks to the Survey of English Dialects, but you won't find many people in England who actually speak like that. (The survery was largely done in the 1950s, and they deliberately chose older working-class men who hadn't moved around much.)

There are a number of studies of specific local dialects (Scouse is quite well-documented, for example, and there's been quite a lot of study in the South-East) but I'm not aware of anything like Labov's Atlas of North American English. For example, I don't think we have anything newer on the BATH isogloss than what the SED says, and while that's probably still quite accurate in that case it'd be nice to have something more up-to-date.

As for Finlay's "wiki" question, for me it's a typical HAPPY word: [ɪ] before consonants, before vowels.

The thing is that, aside from marking vowel isoglosses and like, it seems like very little has been done on significant aspects of North American English dialects, folksy bullshit aside. For instance, just amongst relatively General American or Inland North-ish dialects between the Upper Midwest and the Mid-Atlantic area there are a lot of things that are going on that are simply poorly documented (e.g. the widespread /l/-vocalization), only anecdotally documented (e.g. the very widespread /d/-elision and assimilation and the less but still significantly widespread /t d n/-elision beyond merely the trivial /n/ before /t/ case), or seemingly not documented at all (e.g. the generalized alveolar apical/laminal and postalveolar palatoalveolar/alveolopalatal allophony). And that is just scratching the surface of things; to get a good picture of what is actually going on here in North America, we need better documentation of far more than that.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Even worse, there are AmE dialects that are dying out without (AFAIK) proper documentation. Conservative Southern Midland, for example. (characterized by /ɪ/-raising in environments that I haven't worked out, and a more rigid stress system than more innovative dialects, so 'derivative' and 'Ohio' are /dəˌrɪvəˈɾiv/ and something like /ˌoˈhai̯ə/ or /əʷˈhaiə/)
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Nortaneous wrote:Even worse, there are AmE dialects that are dying out without (AFAIK) proper documentation. Conservative Southern Midland, for example. (characterized by /ɪ/-raising in environments that I haven't worked out, and a more rigid stress system than more innovative dialects, so 'derivative' and 'Ohio' are /dəˌrɪvəˈɾiv/ and something like /ˌoˈhai̯ə/ or /əʷˈhaiə/)
My question for a good while now has been why the fuck is my dialect doing so well...

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Travis B. wrote:
Nortaneous wrote:Even worse, there are AmE dialects that are dying out without (AFAIK) proper documentation. Conservative Southern Midland, for example. (characterized by /ɪ/-raising in environments that I haven't worked out, and a more rigid stress system than more innovative dialects, so 'derivative' and 'Ohio' are /dəˌrɪvəˈɾiv/ and something like /ˌoˈhai̯ə/ or /əʷˈhaiə/)
My question for a good while now has been why the fuck is my dialect doing so well...
Its fascist monopoly on the cheese market, of course.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Drydic Guy wrote:Its fascist monopoly on the cheese market, of course.
But we don't really make cheese in Milwaukee...

tezcatlip0ca
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by tezcatlip0ca »

HAPPY for me too. [%wIkI\"pi:4i3], ["wIki]. And the computer I'm writing from can't write IPA.
The Conlanger Formerly Known As Aiďos

TaylorS
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TaylorS »

Travis B. wrote:
Around here it's because our local dialect is not only not stigmatized, it's considered a part of our local cultural pride

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

[ˈwiːkiˈpʰiːdiə] or maybe [ˈwiːkiˈpʰiːɾiə]
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Weakypedia? :|

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

finlay wrote:Weakypedia? :|
Sounds better to me than Wickypedia.
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Vickipedia
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Shrdlu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shrdlu »

If I stop posting out of the blue it probably is because my computer and the board won't cooperate and let me log in.!

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Peacekeeper wrote:I think I pronounce it /wɪkɪ'pi:dɪə/ in English
Same.

Umega
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Umega »

Whikipitia

I am also Zontas, for those of you wondering.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Guitarplayer wrote:
Peacekeeper wrote:I think I pronounce it /wɪkɪ'pi:dɪə/ in English
Same.
With the /ɪ/ in hiatus there?, not /i(:)/ or /j/? Or (and I am actually asking both of you here), is /ɪə/ supposed to be a single diphthong segment (as shows up various English varieties) there?

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Oh wait, I didn't read carefully :|

It's /wɪkiˈpiːdiə/ for me, in English, but indeed with vowel hiatus. I've already posted my German.

Peacekeeper
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Peacekeeper »

Guitarplayer wrote:It's /wɪkiˈpiːdiə/ for me, in English, but indeed with vowel hiatus.
On closer analysis, yeah, the same applies for me. It's definitely /wɪkiˈpiːdiə/. Thanks for pointing it out, Travis B.
[size=200]L・ロビン・ニルソン[/size]

[url]http://www.politicalcompass.org[/url]
[b]Economic Left/Right: 9.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.21[/b]

cromulant
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by cromulant »

[wikipedia]

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

cromulant wrote:[wikipedia]
No way! :o
Which dialect do you speak? Is English your native language?
Přemysl wrote:
Kereb wrote:they are nerdissimus inter nerdes
Oh god, we truly are nerdy. My first instinct was "why didn't he just use sunt and have it all in Latin?".
Languages I speak fluently
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

Grunnen
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Grunnen »

Normally I'd say, in Dutch, something in between [ʋikiˈpedija] and [ʋikiˈpeɪdija], but trying to speak English it would become something like [wɪkʰɪpʰiːdijə] I think, although I'm not sure if I actually aspirate the [k]. Hmm, guess I don't. Btw, rather off topic, but is there a symbol to denote a sound one makes by putting the lower lip against the upper teeth and letting the air escape at the sides, but not in the middle, and creating no friction? Could you call something like that a labiodental lateral approximant? I mean as opposed to [v], which also mostly has the air escaping at the sides, but which is a fricative. Well, if there is, I should use that symbol instead of [ʋ].
χʁɵn̩
gʁonɛ̃g
gɾɪ̃slɑ̃

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Now, I cannot help but wonder how many of you would actually frequently pronounce what is transcribed above phonemically as /di(ː)/ or /dj/ or phonetically as [di(ː)], [ɾi(ː)], [dj], or [ɾj] instead as [jː] in everyday speech.

The reason why I say that is that it seems to be pretty much the normal realization in everyday speech of unstressed /di(ː)/~/dj/ before another vowel in northern/eastern General American and Inland North-oid varieties (e.g. in radio), with pronunciations like yours being at least a little more careful in varieties that have this.

I myself would carefully pronounce Wikipedia as [ˌwɪkiˈpʰiːɾiːə(ː)], from /ˌwɪkiˈpidiə/, but I was giving my normal, everyday pronunciation earlier, which includes this particular realization.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Travis B. wrote:Now, I cannot help but wonder how many of you would actually frequently pronounce what is transcribed above phonemically as /di(ː)/ or /dj/ or phonetically as [di(ː)], [ɾi(ː)], [dj], or [ɾj] instead as [jː] in everyday speech.
No. Maybe [ɾi] rather than [di] though.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

finlay wrote:
Travis B. wrote:Now, I cannot help but wonder how many of you would actually frequently pronounce what is transcribed above phonemically as /di(ː)/ or /dj/ or phonetically as [di(ː)], [ɾi(ː)], [dj], or [ɾj] instead as [jː] in everyday speech.
No. Maybe [ɾi] rather than [di] though.
Why do you say no categorically (especially since what I am referring to is not something that would show up in any varieties you have any daily contact with anyway)?

As for the latter, that I too did wonder quite a bit about, as I strongly doubted that that was actually realized as [d] there...