Polyglottal Telephone 14

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: Polyglottal Telephone 14

Post by finlay »

candrodor wrote:Can we not just like be understanding and shit?
probably. I only say it to jmcd because I've met him several times IRL and I don't think he'd mind. :P It's just it's starting to drag a bit; the other team finished weeks ago, and I now only need this final English translation before I can copypaste onto the wiki. if it's still working of course

tubragg
Sanci
Sanci

Post by tubragg »

finlay wrote:Absolute maximum of 3 days for the last guy; if it has not been done and completely dusted by the 25th I will send it to someone else.
Whoa. :o With my schedule the next couple of days that gives me precious little time. I'll give it a shot, though. Now where is that dictionary...?

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

I'm sorry, i'm just bored of this game now. If anyone wants to start a new one, hopefully with an easier text, feel free.

tubragg
Sanci
Sanci

Post by tubragg »

A very hasty translation done and sent. :oops:

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Yay, thank you! :D

So anyway...
http://www.kneequickie.com/kq/Polyglott ... ne/PGT_XIV

Make up your own damn comments, I've had enough. :P

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

Yay, genderswaps! Or more like one genderswap, and one that's more just gender confusion.

Anyone mind if I come up with another with a random starting text again?
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Yay, finishedness! :D

@Lyhoko Leaci: Do eet!

@Mr. Z: So that was your typo! xD I wrote היכרו instead of הכירו. Woops... :)

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Lyhoko Leaci wrote:Yay, genderswaps! Or more like one genderswap, and one that's more just gender confusion.

Jmcd translated something as "he" in English and "sie" in German, confusingly.

In Team B, it was a Spanish link where all but one pronoun was dropped – for whatever reason, the translator assumed that Turstan was female, and I guess it must have been hard to shake, because once they got to the one pronoun that refers to him as "he", they didn't think that this might have been a bit suspicious and go back through correcting all the shes. Or something.

Also, feel free to come up with another starting text, but A) I'm not organising it again – although I could maybe provide assistance of some form, and might do it again in a few months' time and B) this text was widely complained about as being too long, which is fair enough.

Jetboy
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jetboy »

Lyhoko, your translation was very good; at times I forgot that I wasn't translating out of the original text.
And I see I made some mistakes, too; there's one point where, looking at the text, I'm not even sure what I was trying to do. Presumably too much late-night translating. I also probably should have been more careful with my word choice; for example, choosing πριμοί for "leaders" was just asking for it to come out as "firsts". It was tough, but rather fun; the text definitely could have been shorter. Maybe the next PGT should just be a sentence or two to see how that turns out; fewer confusing referents, at least (the part with the different groups of ravens was quite different to translate well).
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
–Herm Albright
Even better than a proto-conlang, it's the *kondn̥ǵʰwéh₂s

tatapyranga
Lebom
Lebom

Post by tatapyranga »

Whoa it's finished. Reading it now...
There is only one god and his name is Death. And there's only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today'.

míkl
Sanci
Sanci

Post by míkl »

Haha, I knew I'd be the weak link. :mrgreen:

Looking at it now, I'm not sure how I interpreted Tursten as a woman, I'll have to look closer...
Native: English
Intermediate: Español
Basic-Intermediate: Français
Basic: Afrikaans
Rudimentary Knowledge: Deutsch, 한국어
Interested In: 日本語

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

Oh, and I wrote Tursten's name as Turstan. This is because I copied the text to Word and translated it in a Word document, but Word marked the word טורסטן (Tursten) as a misspelling, so the annoying little red line marking misspelled words was there, hiding the vowel marking for the second syllable. Hahaha!
Přemysl wrote:
Kereb wrote:they are nerdissimus inter nerdes
Oh god, we truly are nerdy. My first instinct was "why didn't he just use sunt and have it all in Latin?".
Languages I speak fluently
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Mr. Z wrote:Oh, and I wrote Tursten's name as Turstan. This is because I copied the text to Word and translated it in a Word document, but Word marked the word טורסטן (Tursten) as a misspelling, so the annoying little red line marking misspelled words was there, hiding the vowel marking for the second syllable. Hahaha!
xD You can remove the red lines, you know. :P

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

How did the tree branches change to roots, then trunk?

Old Spanish had a letter q̃?? How was it pronunced?

How did "the woman's father is astute" turn into "the father of the woman speaks Latin"? And the other team got Roman projectiles...

Lulz at Astraios' "So he took up twelve birds, whose wings he broke with stones and he placed them next to the fence next to the field, but he attacked their wings with mushrooms" and "Tursten still remained briefly a sculpted bush". And Sevly's ""Your father was wise," said the tallest of the sleeping children. Not that, she thought, but crazy. Turstan was sooner a pig than she was wise."
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

Qwynegold wrote:How did the tree branches change to roots, then trunk?

How did "the woman's father is astute" turn into "the father of the woman speaks Latin"? And the other team got Roman projectiles...

Lulz at Astraios' "So he took up twelve birds, whose wings he broke with stones and he placed them next to the fence next to the field, but he attacked their wings with mushrooms" and "Tursten still remained briefly a sculpted bush". And Sevly's ""Your father was wise," said the tallest of the sleeping children. Not that, she thought, but crazy. Turstan was sooner a pig than she was wise."
According to Wiktionary, it stands for "que" in Portuguese. Maybe it could have the same meaning in Old Spanish. Though this does not explain its appearance as part of a word.
Přemysl wrote:
Oh god, we truly are nerdy. My first instinct was "why didn't he just use sunt and have it all in Latin?".
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Mr. Z wrote:

According to Wiktionary, it stands for "que" in Portuguese. Maybe it could have the same meaning in Old Spanish. Though this does not explain its appearance as part of a word.
Yeah. And que means "what"?
My most recent quiz:

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

Qwynegold wrote:
Mr. Z wrote:

Yes, and also a relative particle, at least in the modern language.
Přemysl wrote:
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

Emma
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Emma »

Oops. Usually I make a couple of little mistakes that don't really rubbish things up too much but I seem to be wholly responsible for introducing mushrooms into the story out of nowhere. Hmm. :/

faiuwle
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by faiuwle »

Qwynegold wrote:How did "the woman's father is astute" turn into "the father of the woman speaks Latin"?
Serafín used latinado for "astute", which was apparently interpreted by the next person as "speaking Latin". I don't know Old Spanish, though, so I don't know which was correct.
And the other team got Roman projectiles...
Yeah, I wanted to translate "lead blunts" as "blunt arrows with lead tips", and from my dictionary I determined that the right word for "blunt" was romo, so I wrote flechas romas con la punta de plomo, and Viktor apparently looked at romas and saw Roma.

(And I seem to have gotten arms and legs mixed up, so the crows were trussed up by their wings for the rest of the game. Ooops.)
It's (broadly) [faɪ.ˈjuw.lɛ]
#define FEMALE

ConlangDictionary 0.3 3/15/14 (ZBB thread)

Quis vult in terra stare,
Cum possit volitare?

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

finlay wrote:
Lyhoko Leaci wrote:Yay, genderswaps! Or more like one genderswap, and one that's more just gender confusion.

Jmcd translated something as "he" in English and "sie" in German, confusingly.
Oh yeah I had originally had them all Sie/she but then I realised it was wrong and went back to change but apparently didn't do all of them.

candrodor
Sanci
Sanci

Post by candrodor »

faiuwle wrote:
Qwynegold wrote:How did "the woman's father is astute" turn into "the father of the woman speaks Latin"?
Serafín used latinado for "astute", which was apparently interpreted by the next person as "speaking Latin". I don't know Old Spanish, though, so I don't know which was correct.
I knew that my translation of that word was going to be a complete balls up. I'm sorry. I completely didn't recognise it, but seeing it now I should have made the connection.

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

Treskro wrote that he had understood (and had written) "branch" ("[a]n arrow stunned each bird, sticking them onto a branch"), but then he used the word 樹根 shùgēn 'root' in his translation to Mandarin (my dictionary gives 樹枝 shùzhī for 'branch' instead). Then Ossicone understood Spanish raíz 'root' as 'trunk'.
Old Spanish had a letter q̃??
Old Spanish didn't interpret the tilde as part of a different letter like we do today with <ñ>, it simply stood for omitted letters. <q̃> was <qu(e)>, <ṽ> was <vos>, <t̃> was <tr>, <ñ> was <nn>, a vowel with a tilde was <Vn#>, and so on. These abbreviations were freely used as part of other words too, here's some illustrative lines from the poem of El Çid:

Q̃branteſte las puertas & ſaq̃ste los padres ſcõs
Tueres Rey delos Reyes & de todel mundo padre
Ati adoro & creo de toda voluntad
E Ruego a ſã peydro q̃ me aiude a Rogar
Por myo çid el campeador q̃ dios le curie de mal
Q̃ando oy nos partimos en vida nos faz iuntar
La or̃õ fecha la miſſa acabada la an
Salierõ dela egleſia ya q̃ieren caualgar
El çid a doña ximena yua la abraçar
Doña ximena al çid la manol va beſar
Lorando de los oios q̃ nõ ſabe q̃ ſe far (Source. Click on fol. 8r, it starts on the 10th line.)

These sort of abbreviations were absolutely everywhere... Eliminating abbreviations with a tilde:

Quebranteſte las puertas & ſaqueste los padres ſanctos
Tueres Rey delos Reyes & de todel mundo padre
Ati adoro & creo de toda voluntad
E ruego a ſan peydro que me aiude a Rogar
Por myo çid el campeador que dios le curie de mal
Quando oy nos partimos en vida nos faz iuntar
La oraçion fecha la miſſa acabada la an
Salieron dela egleſia ya quieren caualgar
El çid a donna ximena yua la abraçar
Donna ximena al çid la manol va beſar
Lorando de los oios que non ſabe que ſe far

(The Çid has been sent in exile. Before leaving his family and many people who respect him organize a mass. This is the end of Ximena's prayer for her husband.) "...You broke the gates and brought out the holy fathers, / You are the king of kings and father of the whole world / you I adore, and I believe [in You] with all my heart (lit. "of [my] entire will"), / and I pray to Saint Peter to help me pray [to God] / for my Çid the campeador, may God keep him from harm, / when we separate today, let us meet [again] alive." / [With] the prayer finished they finished the mass, / they went out of the church, they already want to ride. / El Çid was going to hug doña Ximena, / doña Ximena went to kiss the Çid's hand, / crying "from her eyes", she just doesn't know what to do
How was it pronunced?
/ke/

tatapyranga
Lebom
Lebom

Post by tatapyranga »

Mr. Z wrote:
Qwynegold wrote:
Mr. Z wrote:

Yes, and also a relative particle, at least in the modern language.
I would have guessed q̃ would be an abbreviation for "quién" (in modern Sp., corresp. to Pt."quem") because of the nasal hint.

EDIT: well, it clearly wasn't, in that text.
There is only one god and his name is Death. And there's only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today'.

tatapyranga
Lebom
Lebom

Post by tatapyranga »

Also I couldn't find "tapaisesti" (or even "tapainen") in any dictionary, so I couldn't make sense of
Qwynegold wrote:Klaanin tapaisesti lisää lintuja liittyi kahakkaan.
so I guessed *tapainen was derived from "tapa" and meant the same as "tavallinen" = 'usually' but that didn't make sense either ("Usually more birds from the clan joined the skirmish"?). Then I thought it was a mistake and meant "eventually" but for some weird reason I mixed up English and Portuguese in my head (*) and wrote "eventualmente" which does not mean "eventually" (it means 'once in a while'). Also I interpreted "klaanin" as a genitive modifying "lintuja" even though it was very unlikely, giving
me wrote:Eventualmente mais pássaros do clã se juntaram à escaramuça.
Usually more birds form the clan joined the skirmish.
(*) maybe because I was using Finnish-to-English not -to-Portuguese dictionaries

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Thanks everyone who answered my questions!
tatapyranga wrote:Also I couldn't find "tapaisesti" (or even "tapainen") in any dictionary, so I couldn't make sense of
Qwynegold wrote:Klaanin tapaisesti lisää lintuja liittyi kahakkaan.
so I guessed *tapainen was derived from "tapa" and meant the same as "tavallinen" = 'usually' but that didn't make sense either ("Usually more birds from the clan joined the skirmish"?). Then I thought it was a mistake and meant "eventually" but for some weird reason I mixed up English and Portuguese in my head (*) and wrote "eventualmente" which does not mean "eventually" (it means 'once in a while'). Also I interpreted "klaanin" as a genitive modifying "lintuja" even though it was very unlikely, giving
me wrote:Eventualmente mais pássaros do clã se juntaram à escaramuça.
Usually more birds form the clan joined the skirmish.
(*) maybe because I was using Finnish-to-English not -to-Portuguese dictionaries
Heh, tapaisesti (in the way of) does come from tapa, which means custom.
My most recent quiz: