Yonagu idea: Essay collection

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Yonagu idea: Essay collection

Post by Radius Solis »

Hopefully I'm not jumping the gun here, but I have some questions/comments.

- I'd like to ask about reference citing. I'll probably have a number of references for the essay I am planning - maybe a dozen or more, depending how many library books I end up checking out for this. Should we plan for a unified approach to references, or to just let each writer do what they will?

- What assumptions should we make about our target audience? Their existing knowledge level, say, and what they're reading the book to find out? I want to be clearer before I start writing on how much I need to say: just as an example, on explaining a certain feature in a certain language, should I expect the reader to recognize why it's a big deal or do I need to spell it out?

- Also, if submissions differ substantially in accessibility level, perhaps they could be organized in the book into basic, intermediate, and advanced topics?

- I also suggest that somewhere zompist puts up a list of topics people have proposed to write about, not only so that conflicts can be prevented, but also so that people interested in working together on a single topic may do so, and because it may spur more ideas for content.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

putting my name down for probably doing harmony processes and possibly doing airstream mechanisms and phonation, although this all depends on whether i can get access to jstor (might see if i can hit umd and use a computer there or something)
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

Nortaneous wrote:putting my name down for probably doing harmony processes and possibly doing airstream mechanisms and phonation, although this all depends on whether i can get access to jstor (might see if i can hit umd and use a computer there or something)
I have access to JSTOR. Just tell me what articles you need and I can get them for you.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Radius Solis wrote:- I'd like to ask about reference citing. I'll probably have a number of references for the essay I am planning - maybe a dozen or more, depending how many library books I end up checking out for this. Should we plan for a unified approach to references, or to just let each writer do what they will?
Naturally, each writer should provide references as appropriate. Something like this is fine:

Sampson, Geoffrey (1985), Writing Systems, Stanford University Press.

How it works in the final book, it depends on how much overlap there is. If everyone is referencing Describing Morphosyntax, only one full citation is needed. :)
- What assumptions should we make about our target audience? Their existing knowledge level, say, and what they're reading the book to find out? I want to be clearer before I start writing on how much I need to say: just as an example, on explaining a certain feature in a certain language, should I expect the reader to recognize why it's a big deal or do I need to spell it out?
Assume they've read the book LCK; don't assume they have an eidetic memory. :) E.g. you don't have to explain what a phoneme is, or what the IPA is, or why we put consonants in those funny tables, or what a language family or historical linguistics is. On the other hand a refresher on "ergative" or "conversational implicature" or "formants" is a good idea.
- I also suggest that somewhere zompist puts up a list of topics people have proposed to write about, not only so that conflicts can be prevented, but also so that people interested in working together on a single topic may do so, and because it may spur more ideas for content.
Yeah, I'll do this soon.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

OK, I tried to add what people seemed to be signing up for. If I got something wrong or missed something, just shout out.

(I left out conworlding topics so far. That may change if more people want to do that.)

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

Put me down for:

- vowel systems
- bogolanging (my example of a Slavic romlang)

plus the following if you think they add to what's in the LCK

- sound changes
- transcribing a conlang

I have all of them in HTML format and will probably just tidy the text up a bit. The vowel systems page will probably need some pictures in place of the preformatted code, and I'm not sure I'll be able to do them properly.
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

What I'm thinking of writing about (in the unlikely event that I'll get a decent finished project.. but again, I will try!) is a shortish essay discussing the various ways languages put nouns in a possessive relationship to others: simple Latinate cases, Semitic bound forms, the Turkish strat of head and adjunct marking, and Bantu concordization, as well as the kind affix-stacking that goes on in Georgian, Sumerian, and Elamite.

I can already name a couple people who I know have way more experience in the individual relevant languages than me, and so would be way better suited to do it, though.. hopefully I don't just whip up a jumble of noobtastic gaffes. :?
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

Io
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Io »

I envy your self-confidence, Xephyr!

:D

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Nancy Blackett wrote:Put me down for:

- vowel systems
- bogolanging (my example of a Slavic romlang)

plus the following if you think they add to what's in the LCK

- sound changes
- transcribing a conlang

I have all of them in HTML format and will probably just tidy the text up a bit. The vowel systems page will probably need some pictures in place of the preformatted code, and I'm not sure I'll be able to do them properly.
also i still have a unicodified version of your articles which might be better for putting in a book.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Is there a due date?

And Zomp, are you waiting on the flag entry for a conworlding boook?
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

finlay wrote:
Nancy Blackett wrote:Put me down for:

(stuff)
also i still have a unicodified version of your articles which might be better for putting in a book.
Don't worry; I took copies of them.
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

No offence to anybody, but I'm a little concerned that some people's essays may be too hideously erroneous to be allowable. [That certainly will be a concern in I do one...]. I hope Zomp doesn't put everything in to avoid hurting people's feelings.

I also worry that the end product may be too large, and yet also too random in topic and style.

I'd kind of like to do something, but I have no JSTOR and no library, so...
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Io
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Io »

What are you two now moderating Yonagu too?

Rodlox
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rodlox »

Daistallia wrote:I'd not presume I'd have anything to offer, but I'd sure be interested in reading it.
same here. if I had anything to contribute (other than buying multiple copies), rest assured that I would not hesitate.
MadBrain is a genius.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Salmoneus wrote:No offence to anybody, but I'm a little concerned that some people's essays may be too hideously erroneous to be allowable. [That certainly will be a concern in I do one...]. I hope Zomp doesn't put everything in to avoid hurting people's feelings.
I agree with this. I also wouldn't buy it myself anyway; although I would read the essays or whatever if they were put online.

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

Salmoneus wrote:No offence to anybody, but I'm a little concerned that some people's essays may be too hideously erroneous to be allowable. [That certainly will be a concern in I do one...]. I hope Zomp doesn't put everything in to avoid hurting people's feelings.
Some kind of peer review process beforehand?
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Peer review is a good idea, and can be organized once we have some material to review.

makvas
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by makvas »

I've begun writing; is there any certain amount of content you want? Because if you don't limit it, I'm probably going to write quite a bit.

Zapcon
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Zapcon »

Daistallia wrote:I'd not presume I'd have anything to offer, but I'd sure be interested in reading it.
I would definitely buy a copy of this
Legion wrote:[triangular slavery] > [african polyrythms] + [western folk music] (+ (sometimes) [western art music]) = [biggest explosion in diversity since the Cambrian]

Trailsend
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Trailsend »

This was my primary concern. I mean...let's be honest, I'm an undergrad. No one should take anything I say seriously until a significant number of much smarter people have looked it over first. I'll feel much better knowing my submission is going to be reviewed before it goes live (and I suspect the feedback gained therein will be invaluable to boot).

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

I'd also support peer review - I'd hate for an uncaught mistake to turn up in several conlangs.

And, as at least one other person has noticed, an inventory of representative vowel systems is exactly the kind of topic to which contributions are very useful.

Cockroach
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Cockroach »

I might buy a copy. Depending on the length of the book and the commitment of the authors, it honestly sounds like it might work out better as a magazine than as a book.

I might contribute to the volume after this one, but I want to see the quality of articles I'll be up against first, (and ditto everyone elses comments about lack of knowledge, etc.)

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

I'm definitely interested in buying the book, and if it takes long enough to gather materials, maybe I'll have enough experience and knowledge by then to write a section.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

tiramisu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by tiramisu »

Risla wrote:
Nortaneous wrote:putting my name down for probably doing harmony processes and possibly doing airstream mechanisms and phonation, although this all depends on whether i can get access to jstor (might see if i can hit umd and use a computer there or something)
I have access to JSTOR. Just tell me what articles you need and I can get them for you.

I also worry that the end product may be too large, and yet also too random in topic and style.

I'd kind of like to do something, but I have no JSTOR and no library, so...
I have access to most major journals, so if anybody needs anything, let me know and I'll get it to you as long as I have access. I know JSTOR lacks anything published in the past couple years.

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

Where is everybody else at on this?

I've begun working on my contribution. Just the introduction and part of the first section (of probably five), but that's come to about 800 words thus far. I'm guessing at probably 3000-5000 words for the whole thing.