Swedish spelling

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Shrdlu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Swedish spelling

Post by Shrdlu »

Qwynegold wrote:
Shrdlu wrote:Hey Chuma: Dunno if you get the newpapper called "City" in Scania, but there was this article about the last trend in baby-names in Stockholm, and there was some kid named Elvis-Leopold or something. Makes me ashamed to live here. To me there seems to be some competiton goinng on around between the latte-mothers: the more outlandish name you can give your kid the more you score.
It was Nils-Iggy.
So was it, yes. :wink:
If I stop posting out of the blue it probably is because my computer and the board won't cooperate and let me log in.!

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Chuma wrote:And it's not just <h>, there are plenty of other examples of "decorative spelling", such as Steen (instead of sten) and Quist (instead of kvist). Nowadays only used in names, but I believe they used to be used in other circumstances too, because people thought it looked pretty.
In Catalan too, with final h after c in surnames (March, Raurich, Estruch...) and placenames (Vich, Llorach...), although I wouldn't say there are examples of decorative spelling but old (and now incorrect) orthography, used to make clear that the final c must be [k] and not [s] or any other palatalized sound.
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

Magb
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Magb »

Åge Kruger wrote:Magnus, ha! That's another one of those silly, foreign names! It isn't even a real name, it's a misunderstanding. Hrmph, hrmph, hrmph.
>:(

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

vecfaranti wrote:Icelandic does in fact use triple consonants when a word ending in two is compounded with one starting with the same letter. The most commonly example is probably þátttakandi (participant, part+taker: þátt+takandi). But we can have fun with this: rassskítur (assshit), kopppiltur (pottieboy) and sullloka (spillsealer).
I have seen stuff like this, but I just thought that was the result of bad education, or simply mistakes.

It looks terrible. Why would you do that, Icelandic?! You're jeopardising our romantic relationship. Ég veit ekki ef ég get elskað þig eins mikið lengur. Dræsa, hóra og svín. Kopppiltur!
Online dictionary for my conlang Vanga: http://royalrailway.com/tungumaalMiin/Vanga/

#undef FEMALE

I'd love for you to try my game out! Here's the forum thread about it:
http://zbb.spinnwebe.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36688

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Acid Badger
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Acid Badger »

German does this triple consonant shit all the time. Brennnessel, Flusssand, Schifffart, Essstäbchen, Baletttänzerin. It looks so ridiculous. :(