Geordie "gan" - English "go"

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Shrdlu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Geordie "gan" - English "go"

Post by Shrdlu »

When did you develop asperger? And thought I was akward. I was making a humble suggestion because I saw similarities. I can understand finlay calling me an asshole because I have no clue about English dialects, but that was outright bullying.
If I stop posting out of the blue it probably is because my computer and the board won't cooperate and let me log in.!

TaylorS
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TaylorS »

finlay wrote:
Shrdlu wrote:I really don't know, but to me it looks the same as the American habit of turning -ing to in'.
Every dialect of English does this to some degree, asshole. It's just that it varies by location how stigmatised it is and what social class is more likely to do it – and there are still some dialects (although this time AFAIK they are mostly in America) which maintain a distinction between gerund/derivative noun [ɪŋ] and participle [ɪn]. So for them they would always say that they're "build[ɪn] a build[ɪŋ]".

And yeah, distinction carried over or not carried over from OE rather than a sound change of [ɪŋ]→[ɪn] or vice-versa.
I have this distinction, myself.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

I lack a clear distinction in formal speech, due to the formal present participle ending /ŋ/, but have a rather clear distinction in everyday speech, due to heavily tending to use the present participle ending /n/ but otherwise largely preserving /ŋ/ for gerund endings and elsewhere aside from isolated cases like something.

For some reason, in particular the changing of /ŋ/ to /n/ over to gerunds, or for that matter other words except said isolated cases, really rubs me the wrong way, in way that "dialectal" forms normally don't. It's probably that it comes across to me as just "TV dialect" or something, being primarily used to it being missing from the dialectal forms I was actually familiar with in Real Life while growing up...
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Carlos
Niš
Niš

Post by Carlos »

aside from isolated cases like something.
Interesting. In rapid speech, I pronounce "something" as ['sʌin]. Otherwise it's ['sʌmθin] in more careful speech. Does anyone else do that?

"Nothing" is ['nʌθin] or in rapid speech the /θ/ can become an eth, an approximate, or be elided.
"Anything" on the other hand is ['ɛniθɪŋ].

When someone pronounces any <ing> as /ɪn/, it sounds very marked to me, especially when the consonant changes because of it e.g. sitting as ['sɪˈn̩], as I would pronounce it always as ['sɪɾin]. On the other hand, I don't notice when people pronounce <ing> as [ɪŋ]--in fact I used to assume that everyone pronounced <ing> as [in]. Nobody has ever commented on my [in] for <ing> on verbs and the word "something" interestingly enough--apparantly most people hear it as <ing>.

Other words:
being [bi::n] or in rapid speech [bi:n] (but distinct from been, which I pronounce as [bɪn]. Although I'm not pin-pen merged--Ben is always ['bɛn], never [bɪn].)
seeing [si::n] (or [si:n])
going ['gowin] (or ['gɔɪn])

Interestingly enough, hearing [iŋ] in words like king, sing, sounds very marked to me. I pronounce them with [ɪŋ]. (Hearing them with [in] would sound even stranger, but I've yet to hear someone do that.)

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

merijn wrote:However, there are a few verbs whose stem end in a vowel that have -n and where the schwa is lost instead of the n
I don't think the schwa was lost there: etymologiebank.nl has no schwa in the oldest forms, so it must not have been there before the change of -an into -@n in Old Dutch.
Soap wrote:Reminds me of the Dutch teen meaning "toe", which is /te:n/ rather than /teən/
I wouldn't be surprised it there was a generic rule in Germanic about deleting the vowel in a VC suffix when the root ended in a vowel. "teen" btw is a singularized plural, from older "tee" (/te/). It was reanalyzed as singular, and got a regular plural "tenen" (/te.n@n/). Same happened with "schoen" (shoe) and "peen" (carrot).

JAL

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

With the verbs"go" and "went", what would their paradigms? synopses? have been in Modern English, had they not been used for each other?

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

went came from wend, as in wend one's way.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Shm Jay wrote:With the verbs"go" and "went", what would their paradigms? synopses? have been in Modern English, had they not been used for each other?
We cannot really say per se, except that gaed, a weak regularization, is found in at least Scots as the preterite of gae, and went is actually originally a weak preterite of wend (even though in modern usage a new weak preterite, wended, has been created to replace it for wend itself).
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yng »

'to go' had an older preterite in 'eod-' before it replaced that with 'went'; it could have retained that (but I have no idea what that would have produced in ME).
كان يا ما كان / يا صمت العشية / قمري هاجر في الصبح بعيدا / في العيون العسلية

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Really? Not *ging?

Oh. Now I see that this apparently wasn't even the case in PG, theoretically... How come it became some variation of "ging" in all modern varieties except for English and Scots (and maybe some more, smaller ones)?
Online dictionary for my conlang Vanga: http://royalrailway.com/tungumaalMiin/Vanga/

#undef FEMALE

I'd love for you to try my game out! Here's the forum thread about it:
http://zbb.spinnwebe.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36688

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yng »

No. eode was suppletive, just like 'went'.
كان يا ما كان / يا صمت العشية / قمري هاجر في الصبح بعيدا / في العيون العسلية

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

Herra Ratatoskr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Herra Ratatoskr »

YngNghymru wrote:'to go' had an older preterite in 'eod-' before it replaced that with 'went'; it could have retained that (but I have no idea what that would have produced in ME).
From everything I've seen, it would probably have been "yode". It appears in Le Mort D'Arthur and in Spencer.
I am Ratatosk, Norse Squirrel of Strife!

There are 10 types of people in this world:
-Those who understand binary
-Those who don't

Mater tua circeta ibat et pater tuus sambucorum olficiebat!

blank stare II
Lebom
Lebom

Post by blank stare II »

Carlos wrote:In my dialect (Western American English), both are pronounced as [in].
IMD, nobody has heard of usin' this fancy schmancy "ing," whatever that is.

Appalachian English, in case anyone was wondering.
I get a big kick out of playing my own language game–it’s a unique thrill only conlangers know.
- J Burke

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

I only have ing in gerunds in careful speech. Whenever I'm having an actual conversation with somebody it's -in.