Maori

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Kuturere Reo
Sanci
Sanci

Re: Maori

Post by Kuturere Reo »

Thanks for the welcomes! Turtlehead that was a silly question about EP. Like asking whether English descends from Dutch or German.
Shm Jay wrote:In other words, you have an idiotlect.

Turtlehead
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Turtlehead »

Miekko wrote:
Turtlehead wrote: So did EP descend from Tongan or Samoan?
Do you even know how linguistic taxonomy works, what it tries to classify and what it means? :roll:
I was meaning the area, probably could have worded it a bit better.
I KEIM HEWE IN THE ΠVEΓININΓ TA LEAWN WELX, ΠVVT NAW THE ΠVWΠVΣE FVW ΠVEINΓ HEWE IΣ VNKLEAW. THAT IΣ WAIT I LIKE TA MAKE KAWNLANΓΣ AWN THE ΣΠAWT.
TVWTLEHEAΔ

Turtlehead
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Turtlehead »

Reo wrote:Thanks for the welcomes! Turtlehead that was a silly question about EP. Like asking whether English descends from Dutch or German.
English is a dialect of Dutch :roll:

So ancient Samoans and Tongans both migrated to EP?
I KEIM HEWE IN THE ΠVEΓININΓ TA LEAWN WELX, ΠVVT NAW THE ΠVWΠVΣE FVW ΠVEINΓ HEWE IΣ VNKLEAW. THAT IΣ WAIT I LIKE TA MAKE KAWNLANΓΣ AWN THE ΣΠAWT.
TVWTLEHEAΔ

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Skomakar'n wrote:
Turtlehead wrote:Ka korero koe i te reo Maori?
Could you translate, gloss and transcribe the pronunciation of that?

Bonus: if you really can, also show the same sentence in [an]other polynesian language[s], and if not all words are the same, still show possible cognates.
BAMP
Online dictionary for my conlang Vanga: http://royalrailway.com/tungumaalMiin/Vanga/

#undef FEMALE

I'd love for you to try my game out! Here's the forum thread about it:
http://zbb.spinnwebe.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36688

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Miekko
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Miekko »

Turtlehead wrote:
Reo wrote:Thanks for the welcomes! Turtlehead that was a silly question about EP. Like asking whether English descends from Dutch or German.
You seriously think so?
< Cev> My people we use cars. I come from a very proud car culture-- every part of the car is used, nothing goes to waste. When my people first saw the car, generations ago, we called it šuŋka wakaŋ-- meaning "automated mobile".

Rodlox
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rodlox »

Turtlehead wrote:
France and Germany rarely agree with one another as much as they do about their reaction to your claim.
MadBrain is a genius.

Turtlehead
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Turtlehead »

Rodlox wrote:
Turtlehead wrote:
France and Germany rarely agree with one another as much as they do about their reaction to your claim.
Well at one point in the past the languages were spoken as the same language.
TVWTLEHEAΔ

Turtlehead
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Turtlehead »

Skomakar'n wrote:
Skomakar'n wrote:
Turtlehead wrote:Ka korero koe i te reo Maori?
Could you translate, gloss and transcribe the pronunciation of that?

Bonus: if you really can, also show the same sentence in [an]other polynesian language[s], and if not all words are the same, still show possible cognates.
BAMP
ka ko:rero koe i te reo Ma:ori?
TAM speak 2ndpp from/of the.s language Maori
You speak maori?
TVWTLEHEAΔ

Miekko
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Miekko »

Turtlehead wrote:
Rodlox wrote:
Turtlehead wrote:
Well at one point in the past the languages were spoken as the same language.
As were latin, russian and irish. Doesn't mean Latin is or descends from Russian. Learn how linguistic taxonomy works, you dolt.
< Cev> My people we use cars. I come from a very proud car culture-- every part of the car is used, nothing goes to waste. When my people first saw the car, generations ago, we called it šuŋka wakaŋ-- meaning "automated mobile".

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

Turtlehead wrote:
I'd say it's more likely to be a dialect of Frisian, or vice versa. This, though, isn't commonly considered truth. They're both daughters of Proto-Anglo-Frisian :roll:
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
http://www.dazzlejunction.com/greetings/thanks/thank-you-bear.gif
Sincerely,
sano

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

Darkgamma wrote:This, though, isn't commonly considered truth.
Yes, in the sense than literally no one who is knowledgeable on the subject thinks this. Let alone thinks that English is a dialect of Dutch.

Turtlehead
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Turtlehead »

Darkgamma wrote:
Turtlehead wrote:
I'd say it's more likely to be a dialect of Frisian, or vice versa. This, though, isn't commonly considered truth. They're both daughters of Proto-Anglo-Frisian :roll:
So historical england first spoke celtic? then Latin/celto-latin, then the saxons angles and jutes came. Then Norwegians, and then Normans. Then it became its own language.
TVWTLEHEAΔ

Miekko
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Miekko »

Turtlehead wrote:
Darkgamma wrote:
Turtlehead wrote:
So historical england first spoke celtic? then Latin/celto-latin, then the saxons angles and jutes came. Then Norwegians, and then Normans. Then it became its own language.
Waitwhat

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

That's actually...kind of true? Just worded in a really terrible, simplistic and confusing way (because Turtlehead doesn't seem to be making a clear distinction between the English language and languages spoken on the British Isles at various times).

Turtlehead
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Turtlehead »

Whimemsz wrote:That's actually...kind of true? Just worded in a really terrible, simplistic and confusing way (because Turtlehead doesn't seem to be making a clear distinction between the English language and languages spoken on the British Isles at various times).
:wink:

Where as NZ has only had lost Melanesians, Maori (Primarily from the Cook Islands), Europeans and then every other group of people.
TVWTLEHEAΔ

Kereb
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Kereb »

No.
"where as" would suggest that your reply had something to do with what you were replying to

also the "so" in your previous post suggests that your reply somehow follows from what darkgamma had said

in both cases, total nonsense.

"English and Frisian are both daughters of Proto-Anglo Frisian..."
"Oh, so England first spoke Celtic, and then Latin, and then ....??"

No.
It's like you might as well be replying to the ceiling fan.

"Turtlehead isn't making a distinction between languages spoken at different times in the same place, and languages that developed into one another"
"Yeah, but on the other hand you've got New Zealand, which had Melanesians, and Maori, and..."

No.
It's like your reply might as well have been incidentally said by someone walking past having a conversation on their cell phone.

Are you just quoting the last thing you happened to look at, whether your reply concerns it or not?
<Anaxandridas> How many artists do you know get paid?
<Anaxandridas> Seriously, name five.

Kuturere Reo
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Kuturere Reo »

Turtlehead wrote:Where as NZ has only had lost Melanesians, Maori (Primarily from the Cook Islands), Europeans and then every other group of people.
TH also tends to present suppositions - and ideas for which there is no evidence - as facts. No evidence for lost Melanesians nor is there any conclusive evidence for which EP area Māori primarily came from. Similarly with his sound changes list. His posts are so full of half-truths that it's hard to find a way to reply to them.

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

Reo wrote:His posts are so full of half-truths that it's hard to find a way to reply to them.
You might have noticed by now, but most of us who've been here a while have learned to reply with contempt and mockery. It can't hurt.

Miekko
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Miekko »

Whimemsz wrote:(because Turtlehead doesn't seem to be making a clear distinction between the English language and languages spoken on the British Isles at various times).
Which contributes to the problem.

Turtlehead
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Turtlehead »

Miekko wrote:
Whimemsz wrote:(because Turtlehead doesn't seem to be making a clear distinction between the English language and languages spoken on the British Isles at various times).
Could someone elaborate then?
TVWTLEHEAΔ

Turtlehead
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Turtlehead »

Reo wrote:
Turtlehead wrote:Where as NZ has only had lost Melanesians, Maori (Primarily from the Cook Islands), Europeans and then every other group of people.
TH also tends to present suppositions - and ideas for which there is no evidence - as facts. No evidence for lost Melanesians nor is there any conclusive evidence for which EP area Māori primarily came from. Similarly with his sound changes list. His posts are so full of half-truths that it's hard to find a way to reply to them.
I was reading a history paper which suggested that pre-polynesian NZ was occupied by a darker race of people and suggests they could have come from Melanesia, which helps with the fact that Maori culture has many features not found in Polynesia.
TVWTLEHEAΔ

Miekko
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Miekko »

Turtlehead wrote:
Miekko wrote:
Just try to think a bit about it? Let's see if you manage by yourself to figure out the problem with not understanding the distinction Whimemsz' post mentions.

Just fucking try thinking. It's not that fucking hard.

Rodlox
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rodlox »

Turtlehead wrote:
Miekko wrote:
on which part?
MadBrain is a genius.

Rodlox
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rodlox »

Turtlehead wrote:
Reo wrote:
I was reading a history paper which suggested that pre-polynesian NZ was occupied by a darker race of people and suggests they could have come from Melanesia, which helps with the fact that Maori culture has many features not found in Polynesia.
and what features are those? holding eels in special regard?
MadBrain is a genius.

Kuturere Reo
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Kuturere Reo »

Turtlehead wrote:
Reo wrote:
Serves you right for reading fringe websites. Wise up.