Yonagu idea: Essay collection

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Yonagu idea: Essay collection

Post by alice »

I've begun thinking about it...
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

Don't be expecting my submission.. ever. It was an idea, but I'll never get anything like that done.
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

Gulliver
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Gulliver »

I started mine today. It currently stands at 782 words and I'm roughly 1/3 through, I think.

Gulliver
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Gulliver »

Buh, just realised I said I'd write about gender.

My essay on number is coming on nicely. Doi!

Gulliver
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Gulliver »

Is anybody still working on theirs?

Just thought I'd ask to see whether this has died.

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

I was about to start writing mine, but I began wondering if it was worth the effort after all.

If it is, I'd rather present the vowel systems on the IPA vowel diagram than as fixed-width text approximations, so I'll need a lot of images; would it be OK to submit the document as HTML? I presume the IPA vowel diagram is freely available for use?
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

HTML is fine. But do you mean you want to use images? If so they need to be at least 300 dpi.

I can always make sharp images in Illustrator, so if you don't have a way to make print-ready illustrations, fixed width type, or HTML tables, would be better as I could cut and paste the Unicode. Can't do that from a GIF.

makvas
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by makvas »

I started work on mine, but I don't have time to finish them until after I finish my cooper union application. So this weekend I'll start back work on them. Don't worry zomp -- they're coming!

makvas
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by makvas »

Just my luck, my computer died yesterday. I won't be able to work on my essays too much until the new motherboard comes in, which could be more than a week. Still I plan on getting them done before March.

Rory
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Rory »

I seem to have missed this thread the first time round...
zompist wrote:Peer review is a good idea, and can be organized once we have some material to review.
I'd be happy to peer-review, particularly the phonetic/phonological chapters, and Zoris's LaTeX chapter.
Nancy Blackett wrote:I presume the IPA vowel diagram is freely available for use?
In order to publish the IPA, I believe you have to get permission from the Association. My understanding, though, is that it's mainly a formality.
The man of science is perceiving and endowed with vision whereas he who is ignorant and neglectful of this development is blind. The investigating mind is attentive, alive; the mind callous and indifferent is deaf and dead. - 'Abdu'l-Bahá

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

Rory wrote:
Nancy Blackett wrote:I presume the IPA vowel diagram is freely available for use?
In order to publish the IPA, I believe you have to get permission from the Association. My understanding, though, is that it's mainly a formality.
The vowel chart is reproduced in full on Wikipedia, so it's covered by the Creative Commons license. Under that license he is not free to redistribute the work except under a compatible license, which does not include for-profit inclusion in a book. Even if it's just a formality, to be completely on the up-and-up, he does indeed need permission.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

If you're going to be printing IPA charts in your book, can I please make the request that you do not use the one from Wikipedia?

Thanks.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

The IPA (the association) has this on its pages:
The International Phonetic Alphabet may be freely copied on condition that acknowledgement is made to the International Phonetic Association (Department of Theoretical and Applied Linguistics, School of English, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki 54124, GREECE).
Which I take to mean that it's not required to ask permission.

However, for book publication that chart would have to be redone anyway-- it's a jpg and will look like crap in print.

makvas
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by makvas »

Radius Solis wrote:The vowel chart is reproduced in full on Wikipedia, so it's covered by the Creative Commons license. Under that license he is not free to redistribute the work except under a compatible license, which does not include for-profit inclusion in a book. Even if it's just a formality, to be completely on the up-and-up, he does indeed need permission.
Here is the official site with an official chart. It says it may be freely copied so long as an acknowledgement is made. So long as you're using this version, and not the Wikipedia one, I don't see a need for permission.

EDIT: Ninja'd by zomp!

EDIT2: If you want I can make an svg versions of that jpg chart and release it as public domain.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

While I'm at it, that sort of thing (making graphics print-friendly) is part of what I'd do as general editor.

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

Question, now that it's been done twice: do we really want the book material getting posted in L&L piecemeal before publishing? I mean it might be good for spurring further writing, but on the other hand... isn't the ZBB a substantial portion of the likely market for the finished product? Each essay posted seems like an essay nobody will pay to read because they've already seen it for free.

makvas
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by makvas »

Radius Solis wrote:Question, now that it's been done twice: do we really want the book material getting posted in L&L piecemeal before publishing? I mean it might be good for spurring further writing, but on the other hand... isn't the ZBB a substantial portion of the likely market for the finished product? Each essay posted seems like an essay nobody will pay to read because they've already seen it for free.
Here was my rationale for putting up a draft of that I have so far. I'm not putting the final draft up, so there will be more content and editing. I released it as CC-BY-NC-SA so there's no worries about someone trying to sell it commercially in spite of Mark. The preview of material (if it's good) hopefully will encourage more purchases (I certainly think it wouldn't hurt), and if nothing it makes the peer-review process a bit more open for that particular article. Lastly, if Mark has any objection against this sort of stuff, I could always refrain from posting the other article that I'm working on. Regardless, I think your worries are overstated, and there are more reasons to buying a book than getting at its raw content anyways.

EDIT: Also everything in my guide *is* available freely off the internet. People could just find it themselves, but I think clear and relevant tips would be a great addition to the essay collection regardless.

Ketumak
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ketumak »

Just wondering - what's the latest news on this project? I'm looking forward to seeing the result and expect I'll buy a copy.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Good question! I haven't nagged anyone because I've been busy finishing up my novel, but that's about done. So, contributors, this would be a good time to finish things up and send me something!

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

I was wondering that too. Presumably you have mine already?

makvas
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by makvas »

I've been super-busy, but hopefully I can get you finished essays by Monday the 11th.

ná'oolkiłí
Lebom
Lebom

Post by ná'oolkiłí »

I likewise have been busy, but I should have something in a week, week and a half.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

I'm probably dropping out of this. I've had more classwork than I thought I'd have.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Ketumak
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ketumak »

Um, OK, well, no pressure. I guess we just keep watching this thread for news.

makvas
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by makvas »

Well I got the LaTeX guide to where I wanted it, and sent it to zompist. I've still got a ways to go with the Morphosyntax essay though, there's just a lot of material to get through.