The Innovative Usage Thread

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
----
Smeric
Smeric

Re: The Innovative Usage Thread

Post by ---- »

I hear come get all the time around here but there's always 'and' in the middle when in tenses other than simple present.

faiuwle
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by faiuwle »

Yeah, there is "come and get", which works like a completely functional conjunction of two verbs that both conjugate ("came and got", "coming and getting" "have come and gotten", etc.). Maybe "come get" (and "go get") are just from extreme elisions of the "and", but apparently I use it without the "and" so much that at I've started treating it as a single verb at least some of the time. It wasn't just "came got" (which looks like it would be missing an "and"), but "come got", with only the "got" in the past tense, which makes it look like the "come" has evolved into some sort of aspect marker, or something.
It's (broadly) [faɪ.ˈjuw.lɛ]
#define FEMALE

ConlangDictionary 0.3 3/15/14 (ZBB thread)

Quis vult in terra stare,
Cum possit volitare?

Jetboy
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jetboy »

Could "Come get" be considered a serial verb, perhaps? Or am I just trying to read too much exoticity into English?
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
–Herm Albright
Even better than a proto-conlang, it's the *kondn̥ǵʰwéh₂s

Chargone
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Chargone »

Travis B. wrote:
Chargone wrote:pretty sure 'come get' started off as 'come and get'. two verbs involved, ya know? but and gets reduced to 'n' a lot... and then the words either side get run together...

your 'come got' would usually be 'came and got', but with the vowels being different it doesn't reduce nicely, i guess. 'come and got' does, so i suppose it would sound better despite being wonkier grammatically (at least in as much as i understand it, so, you know, take that for what it's worth.)
"Came and got" is perfectly fine to me; the only difference between that and "come and get" is that the and cannot be elided completely, but can only be reduced to a syllabic nasal.
There ya go. Basically what I was trying to say, said properly. (well, except that personally, i can't lose the final stop in the 'and' in 'came and got' either. though it does become less distinct.)

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Amuere wrote:We also have a weird way of expressing our emotional state using "have/has",

Example:
I have sadness / I has sadface = I'm sad
I have happiness / I has happyface = I'm happy
I have anger / I has madface = I'm angry.
I have amusement / I has amused face = I'm amused
That's lolcat.
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Chargone
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Chargone »

Qwynegold wrote:
Amuere wrote:We also have a weird way of expressing our emotional state using "have/has",

Example:
I have sadness / I has sadface = I'm sad
I have happiness / I has happyface = I'm happy
I have anger / I has madface = I'm angry.
I have amusement / I has amused face = I'm amused
That's lolcat.
and it's spreading. (i know i often say 'i has a hunger' rather than 'i'm hungry' when i'm planning on raiding the fridge and such :) ).

i often hear my brother and others his age pronounce 'lol' as if it's a word in it's own right. Usually meaning 'that's amusing, but not funny enough to actually Laugh at.' with implications that either the thing in question or the person responsible for it isn't as bright as they could be. or it seems that way.

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

lolcat expressions widespread on the internet are innovative by themselves. They aren't "proper" English, but aren't they still part of English? Though yeah, taking them to actually spoken language is another level. :P

In San Salvador you can hear some people my age and younger saying "lol" [lol] in spoken language, too. I remember some classmates of mine in El Salvador who used to say "FTW" [foɾ.de.ˈwiŋ, -n], "whee!" [(g)wi::] and "Fail!" [ˈfe.il] as well, used just like in English, even though technically that isn't "proper" Spanish either. A guy from Spain told me that "epic" is popular over there, although I've never heard or seen that myself in San Salvador.

I know this isn't a legit innovation like others in this thread, but today I saw a guy with Mando as his L1 saying "if you know Clint add it!". I'm sure it has to do with the fact that Mandarin (technically) uses the same word for "he, she, it", (even if spelled in various ways according to gender: 他 'he', 她 'she', 它 'it'), and I just found it interesting.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Chargone wrote:i often hear my brother and others his age pronounce 'lol' as if it's a word in it's own right. Usually meaning 'that's amusing, but not funny enough to actually Laugh at.'
Ditto between my sister and me. In spite of not being English L1ers. It's like "We know this is supposed to be a joke, but it's (deliberately) so dumb or silly that we would only laugh at it sarcastically."

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

Serafín wrote:lolcat expressions widespread on the internet are innovative by themselves. They aren't "proper" English, but aren't they still part of English? Though yeah, taking them to actually spoken language is another level. :P

In San Salvador you can hear some people my age and younger saying "lol" [lol] in spoken language, too. I remember some classmates of mine in El Salvador who used to say "FTW" [foɾ.de.ˈwiŋ, -n], "whee!" [(g)wi::] and "Fail!" [ˈfe.il] as well, used just like in English, even though technically that isn't "proper" Spanish either. A guy from Spain told me that "epic" is popular over there, although I've never heard or seen that myself in San Salvador.

I know this isn't a legit innovation like others in this thread, but today I saw a guy with Mando as his L1 saying "if you know Clint add it!". I'm sure it has to do with the fact that Mandarin (technically) uses the same word for "he, she, it", (even if spelled in various ways according to gender: 他 'he', 她 'she', 它 'it'), and I just found it interesting.
Fail and and the like are also sometimes used in Hebrew, I think. Or am I the only person who uses that?
Přemysl wrote:
Kereb wrote:they are nerdissimus inter nerdes
Oh god, we truly are nerdy. My first instinct was "why didn't he just use sunt and have it all in Latin?".
Languages I speak fluently
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Mr. Z wrote:Fail and and the like are also sometimes used in Hebrew, I think. Or am I the only person who uses that?
Nope, you aren't the only one. My friends use it too.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

"was gonna shrooms with some hipster chick but it takes three goddamn hours to public transportation up there"
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

dunomapuka
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dunomapuka »

I think I just heard a CNN anchor say "efforting." We are efforting to get someone on the phone. Is there some kind of verbing epidemic going on?

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

I said "deep hair" instead of "thick hair". I'm guessing it was a Lakotaism, where the same word is used for "deep (like water)" and "thick (like hair)". HowTF did that indistinction get stuck in my head. :?

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Someone titled a post in one of my comms "sorry for shrapnel asking". It was the second short question in two days about nuances of English usage, presumably for the same translation.

Magb
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Magb »

Astraios wrote:I said "deep hair" instead of "thick hair". I'm guessing it was a Lakotaism, where the same word is used for "deep (like water)" and "thick (like hair)". HowTF did that indistinction get stuck in my head. :?
I do this sometimes. Although in general English makes far more lexical distinctions than Norwegian, there are of course cases where Norwegian has a distinction English doesn't, and I sometimes find myself forgetting how to make the distinction in Norwegian. An example that comes to mind is "suspicious", which is mistenkelig, and "suspicious of", which is mistenksom. I always have to think for a second before deciding which word to use when speaking or writing Norwegian.

"Deep" and "thick" is a very basic distinction to erase though.

Åge Kruger
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Åge Kruger »

I recently read in an online debate the Norwegian innovation en mørk - "a dark", for a person with dark skin. I am yet to read "en lys" for someone with light skin, but hope springs eternal for a full range of nouns to describe someone's skin colour with exceptional precision -
"I was served by a fallow in the shop today."
"I'm not racist, my best friend is an Eath Yellow."
"The new guy at work is a Sepia."
[quote="Soviet Russia"]If you can't join them, beat them.[/quote]

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

Åge Kruger wrote:I recently read in an online debate the Norwegian innovation en mørk - "a dark", for a person with dark skin. I am yet to read "en lys" for someone with light skin, but hope springs eternal for a full range of nouns to describe someone's skin colour with exceptional precision -
"I was served by a fallow in the shop today."
"I'm not racist, my best friend is an Eath Yellow."
"The new guy at work is a Sepia."
That's funny, I was thinking of a friend of mine who is black that said "I can't be racist towards him, I've got 'Crayola Flesh' colored friends too!".

Probably the funniest comment on color I've heard someone make.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

So here's a question about a particular type of coordinate compound in English, namely "[noun of relationship] [noun of relationship]" = "standing in such a relationship [pred. adj.]". Examples:

"Hey Quinn, you still buddy-buddy (heh heh) with that "genius" James Harris?"
"Were they boyfriend-girlfriend before?"

How productive is this? I've heard both of the foregoing compounds quite a bit, but other combos don't seem to allow the same use, e.g. *"Are they father-son?"

faiuwle
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by faiuwle »

I think I have heard "father-son" in the context of small businesses owned by a father and his son, and "mother-daughter" in the context of a girl-scouting social event that involved bringing your mother along, and I have heard "they are brother-sister" before.
It's (broadly) [faɪ.ˈjuw.lɛ]
#define FEMALE

ConlangDictionary 0.3 3/15/14 (ZBB thread)

Quis vult in terra stare,
Cum possit volitare?

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Welp, there's already singer-songwriter for one...

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Guitarplayer wrote:Welp, there's already singer-songwriter for one...
Really? You've heard "Those two are singer-songwriter" or something equivalent?

Just to clarify, I'm not asking about appositive compounds (where both nouns refer to the same person) but a particular subset of coordinate compounds (a.k.a. dvandva compounds).

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

faiuwle wrote:I think I have heard "father-son" in the context of small businesses owned by a father and his son, and "mother-daughter" in the context of a girl-scouting social event that involved bringing your mother along, and I have heard "they are brother-sister" before.
The first two are common, but I've never heard the third. I don't think it'd be grammatical to use that sort of appositive compound as a noun, but as an adjective (e.g. "brother-sister rock group"), it'd be fine.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Nortaneous wrote:
faiuwle wrote:I think I have heard "father-son" in the context of small businesses owned by a father and his son, and "mother-daughter" in the context of a girl-scouting social event that involved bringing your mother along, and I have heard "they are brother-sister" before.
The first two are common, but I've never heard the third. I don't think it'd be grammatical to use that sort of appositive compound as a noun, but as an adjective (e.g. "brother-sister rock group"), it'd be fine.
I don't think it's being used as a noun in faiuwle's examples but as a predicate adjective. (Cf. "Are they related?") So are you saying you're fine with it as an attributive adjective but simply not as a predicate?

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Yeah, I think that's it.

äreo
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by äreo »

Does anyone else use "fuck off" with a pronoun compliment? As in "fuck off me"? I think I'm doing it by analogy with French constructions like "fous-moi le camp".

Ascima mresa óscsma sáca psta numar cemea.
Cemea tae neasc ctá ms co ísbas Ascima.
Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho.