Phonological features* you dislike...

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Phonological features* you dislike...

Post by Imralu »

linguofreak wrote:The practice of using "an" with words beginning with H's that the speaker doesn't drop, e.g, /{n hIstorIk ivEnt/, rather than /@ hIstorIk ivEnt/ or /{n IstorIk ivEnt/.
Completely agree. I remember the first time I ever heard it - a newsreader said "an horrific accident" - I just thought she couldn't talk properly.

And in case anyone's wondering why those who do it do it with 'historical' but not 'history', it only happens before unstressed syllables.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

Mornche Geddick
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mornche Geddick »

Me too. I think it's because the speaker is trying to sound posh. They're doing it specially to draw your attention to the fact that they don't drop their aitches.

chaoktarukto
Niš
Niš

Post by chaoktarukto »

I dislike everything that isn't present in the dialect of english that I speak or if it isn't present in one of my conlangs/toki pona/Finnish.

/thread. let's be honest.

kuroda
Lebom
Lebom

Post by kuroda »

Honesty? Honesty? OK, I'll give you honesty.

I despise speech sounds. All of them. Filthy phonemes, cluttering up the air, causing earwax, making people sputter and flap their yaps and spread disease and distraction.

Don't get me started on sign languages, either. Abominable! Marginally less environment-polluting and unclean, but still revolting, demeaning, appalling.

In fact, the potential for this message to be debased into spoken or gestural language fills me with self-loathing and shame. I'm going to go wash out my disgusting oral-tracheal tract with a 40% solution of ethanol, and so quell its hateful habits at least temporarily.
CONLANG Code: C:S/G v1.1 !lafh+>x cN:L:S:G a+ x:0 n4d:2d !B A--- E-- L--- N0 Id/s/v/c k- ia--@:+ p+ s+@ m-- o+ P--- S++ Neo-Khitanese

chaoktarukto
Niš
Niš

Post by chaoktarukto »

kuroda wrote:Honesty? Honesty? OK, I'll give you honesty.

I despise speech sounds. All of them. Filthy phonemes, cluttering up the air, causing earwax, making people sputter and flap their yaps and spread disease and distraction.

Don't get me started on sign languages, either. Abominable! Marginally less environment-polluting and unclean, but still revolting, demeaning, appalling.

In fact, the potential for this message to be debased into spoken or gestural language fills me with self-loathing and shame. I'm going to go wash out my disgusting oral-tracheal tract with a 40% solution of ethanol, and so quell its hateful habits at least temporarily.
I hate listening to people too.