The development of person marking on verbs.

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
TaylorS
Avisaru
Avisaru

The development of person marking on verbs.

Post by TaylorS »

I have noticed that in my speech I will very often have constructions like "Alice, um, she went to the store" in which I stick in a redundant pronoun. Is this a common starting point for the development of person-gender-number marking on verbs? I know the Romance languages already have grammaticalized redundant pronouns.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

I can imagine personal verb marking developing as mandatory pronoun + verb becoming prefix+verb, tho' I doubt it's the only way.

Miekko
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Miekko »

Torco wrote:I can imagine personal verb marking developing as mandatory pronoun + verb becoming prefix+verb, tho' I doubt it's the only way.
a VSO lang could also shift easily that way - the S being assimilated to the V, and the nominal subject dislocated to the left, as topics often are.
< Cev> My people we use cars. I come from a very proud car culture-- every part of the car is used, nothing goes to waste. When my people first saw the car, generations ago, we called it šuŋka wakaŋ-- meaning "automated mobile".

the duke of nuke
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by the duke of nuke »

I did that for a couple of my conlangs - the Northern branch of the Amaranth languages was originally VSO with no person marking, then pronouns fused to the verbs as subject marking and the whole affair turned into VOS. It was actually inspired by Yiuel's comments on Quebec French.
XinuX wrote:I learned this language, but then I sneezed and now am in prison for high treason. 0/10 would not speak again.

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yiuel Raumbesrairc »

As duke said, QcFr does show what Torco and Miekko imagined.

As for Miekko's, it's related to QcFr's neutral inanimate pronoun "ça" which works like other clitics, but is always placed after the whole verbal complex.

Ex :

J'ai pas aimé ça la shot où il a insulté ma meilleure amie.
I didn't like that time when he insulted my best friend.

In italics you have the verbal complex, with "ça" shown in bold, which refers to (or makes the verbal complex agree with) the underlined phrase.

(But here, it's a remnant of SVO that shows up, causing object agreement.)
"Ez amnar o amnar e cauč."
- Daneydzaus