Help understanding IPA

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Bunnycatch3r
Niš
Niš

Help understanding IPA

Post by Bunnycatch3r »

I'm working through the Uyseʔ grammar and don't quite know how to pronounce the "ph", "kh", and "th". I also don't know what to make of the "y" sound. Is it always a consonant sound as in "yellow" or can it take on the vowel sound in "they" as well? I would appreciate any help in this regard.
Thanks,
Bcatch3r

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

ph: pit
th: tit
kh: kit

(also p: spit, t: stitch, k: skit)

and you're right about y, I think
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Mbwa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Mbwa »

ph th kh are pronounced aspirated, meaning there is a puff of air upon their release. English p t k are slightly aspirated. I'm assuming because aspiration is the main contrast between plosives in Uyseʔ, p t k are pronounced without this puff of air, and Zomp notes that ph th kh have strong aspiration.

y is a consonant, as in 'yellow', but it can create diphthongs. So 'ay' would be pronounced like the vowel in English 'high.'

Hope that helps, I just scanned over the Uyseʔ phonology, but it seemed pretty simple for the most part, I don't think I made any glaring mistakes.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Mbwa wrote:So 'ay' would be pronounced like the vowel in English 'high.'
"Any vowel can diphthongize with w or y, but I write ai au instead of ay aw; this reflects a difference in sound (the a is lenghtened) and a distinctive treatment in the writing system (final -w and -y are sometimes ignored when assigning phonetics or writing rhyming poetry, but ai au can never rhyme with a)."
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Mbwa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Mbwa »

Oh I misread that. I thought ay aw and ai au were differentiated by length or something. :? Sorry Bunnycatch3r, I actually did fail.