Help your fluency in a nifty way

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: Help your fluency in a nifty way

Post by Viktor77 »

Imralu wrote:[[PRONPERS]2 UNGARN KÖNN WARUM]W
[[PRONPERS]2 HUNGARY CAN WHY]eyebrows-lowered,head-forward
Why do you know how to speak Hungarian?
Je suis un cours d'hongrois chaque lundi avec mon ami hongrois. C'est pas beaucoup et j'écris seulement ce que je sais écrire. Je sais pas beacoup mais ça arrive, peu à peu. L'hongrois m'intéresse, c'est tout, et peut-être j'y voyagerai cet été ou l'année prochaine. On sait pas, mais on va voir.

Je suis d'accord, Finlay, c'était vachement une question énervante, mais voilà, c'est pas grave.

I am taking a Hungarian class each Monday with my Hungarian friend. It's not a lot and I only write what I know how to write. I don't know a lot but it'll come, little by little. Hungarian interests me, that's all, and perhaps I will travel there this summer or next year. Who knows, but we'll see.

I agree, Finlay, it was quite an obnoxious question, but oh well, not a big deal.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

OK, I ended up getting the answer I wanted but apparently I caused offence along the way. I'm genuinely stumped about why you guys think that's an obnoxious question. I'm sorry it was taken that way and I can assure you it was not meant so, but please tell me - was it the content or the wording? I didn't put a lot of thought into the English wording - change my "why" to "how come" if you like.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Imralu wrote:OK, I ended up getting the answer I wanted but apparently I caused offence along the way. I'm genuinely stumped about why you guys think that's an obnoxious question. I'm sorry it was taken that way and I can assure you it was not meant so, but please tell me - was it the content or the wording? I didn't put a lot of thought into the English wording - change my "why" to "how come" if you like.
No, it's just that many here write in numerous lesser-spoken languages so it came across as targeting, perhaps, is the best way I can describe how I interpreted it. But don't worry, I didn't take offense.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Kareshi wa 30 ni naru kara, kaado wo tsukurou. Demo donna e wo tsukuru ka wakaranai. :/
My boyfriend is turning 30, so I'm gonna make him a card. But I don't know what motif to have on it. :/
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

Viktor77 wrote:
Imralu wrote:OK, I ended up getting the answer I wanted but apparently I caused offence along the way. I'm genuinely stumped about why you guys think that's an obnoxious question. I'm sorry it was taken that way and I can assure you it was not meant so, but please tell me - was it the content or the wording? I didn't put a lot of thought into the English wording - change my "why" to "how come" if you like.
No, it's just that many here write in numerous lesser-spoken languages so it came across as targeting, perhaps, is the best way I can describe how I interpreted it. But don't worry, I didn't take offense.
[PRONPERS]1 NEUGIER, WAHR
[PRONPERS]1 CURIOSITY, TRUE
I was genuinely curious.

[PRONPERS]1 DENK : UNGARN [DETART]3 SPRACH [INTERESS]ELATIV
[PRONPERS]1 THINK : HUNGARY [DETART]3 LANGUAGE [INTEREST]ELATIVE
I find Hungarian a really interesting language.

[[PRONPERS]1 [PRONPERS]3 ZUHÖR,]PROTASIS [[PRONPERS]3 GLEICH WISSENSCHAFT FIKTION.]APODOSIS
[[PRONPERS]1 [PRONPERS]3 LISTEN,]PROTASIS [[PRONPERS]3 SAME SCIENCE FICTION.]APODOSIS
It sounds like science fiction to me.

[PRONPERS]2 [PRONPERS]3 LERN : VERGANGENHEIT [PRONPERS]1 WISS-Neg
[PRONPERS]2 [PRONPERS]3 LEARN : PAST [PRONPERS]1 KNOW-Neg
I didn't know you were learning it.
Qwynegold wrote:Kareshi wa 30 ni naru kara, kaado wo tsukurou. Demo donna e wo tsukuru ka wakaranai. :/
My boyfriend is turning 30, so I'm gonna make him a card. But I don't know what motif to have on it. :/
VIELLEICHT DREISSIG Klassifikator:GROSS-2D
MAYBE THIRTY Classifier:LARGE-2D
Maybe a big '30'?

8)

ABER ERNST [PASS4 PAM4 WAS?]W
BUT SERIOUS [SUIT/MATCH4 personal.agreement.marker4 WHAT?]W
But seriously, what's something that would personally suit him?
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Qwynegold wrote:Kareshi wa 30 ni naru kara, kaado wo tsukurou. Demo donna e wo tsukuru ka wakaranai. :/
30 (30-sai)

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

不愉快っていうかな。ちょっと強い感じだけど。たぶんもっといい言葉あるかな。
Maybe obnoxious isn't the right word - it's a bit strong. Maybe there's a better word.

"How come" would probably sound less like you're challenging victor's sanity. :p

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

ちなみにね、前に言った皮肉の言葉はごめんね。返事は本当に面白かったよ。
chinami ni ne, mae ni yutta hiniku no kotoba wa gomen ne. Henji wa hontou ni omosirokatta yo
Btw, sorry about the sarcasm. Your reply was actually interesting.

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

「why」というと「どんな事情」よりも「どの理由」という意味が強いので、少し対立的な表現だ。「Why」よりも「how」の方はいいニュアンスがある。「Know」も「learn」に言い換えると印象がいい。「Why do you know Hungarian?」は「知っているはずがないから知っている理由を教えて」という感じで、「How did you learn Hungarian?」は「どんな機会・事情・方法などで習ったか教えて」という感じだ。
Using "why" focuses more on the reason you know it than the circumstances that allowed you to learn it, so it is a little more confrontational. "How" has a better feeling than "why". Changing "know" to "learn" also has a better impression. "Why do you know Hungarian?" feels like you're saying "Tell me the reason you know Hungarian, because I don't think you have any reason to know it" while "How did you learn Hungarian?" sounds like "Tell me the opportunity/circumstances/methods that led you to learn Hungarian."

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

confrontational is a better word, yes

BGMan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by BGMan »

clawgrip wrote:Using "why" focuses more on the reason you know it than the circumstances that allowed you to learn it, so it is a little more confrontational. "How" has a better feeling than "why". Changing "know" to "learn" also has a better impression. "Why do you know Hungarian?" feels like you're saying "Tell me the reason you know Hungarian, because I don't think you have any reason to know it" while "How did you learn Hungarian?" sounds like "Tell me the opportunity/circumstances/methods that led you to learn Hungarian."
Yeah, this is true; "why" seems more like you're interrogating them.

Another more informal way to soften "why" is to replace it with "what... for". "What do you know Hungarian for?"

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

That sounds worse.

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

Viktor77 wrote:
Imralu wrote:[[PRONPERS]2 UNGARN KÖNN WARUM]W
[[PRONPERS]2 HUNGARY CAN WHY]eyebrows-lowered,head-forward
Why do you know how to speak Hungarian?
Je suis un cours d'hongrois chaque lundi avec mon ami hongrois. C'est pas beaucoup et j'écris seulement ce que je sais écrire. Je sais pas beacoup mais ça arrive, peu à peu. L'hongrois m'intéresse, c'est tout, et peut-être j'y voyagerai cet été ou l'année prochaine. On sait pas, mais on va voir.

Je suis d'accord, Finlay, c'était vachement une question énervante, mais voilà, c'est pas grave.

I am taking a Hungarian class each Monday with my Hungarian friend. It's not a lot and I only write what I know how to write. I don't know a lot but it'll come, little by little. Hungarian interests me, that's all, and perhaps I will travel there this summer or next year. Who knows, but we'll see.

I agree, Finlay, it was quite an obnoxious question, but oh well, not a big deal.
Por que isso é uma pergunta chata?! Só esta perguntando por que você fala ungariana. Meu Deus do ceu, chega de gritar gente, euhein ! (pt-br)
How on earth is that an obnoxious question? He is just asking why you speak Hungarian. Good lord stop being so whiney and sensitive people. Boo-f*in-hoo.

(by the way this portuguese is very colloquial, as I only know the colloquial varieties and just *attempt* to write them down. but it seems fitting for this context ;) )

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

finlay wrote:That sounds worse.
I agree. It has the opposite effect for me.

But let's just boil this all done to sociolinguistics and call it a day.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

TheCommissar
Sanci
Sanci

Post by TheCommissar »

Voinko liittyä mukaan? Haluan oppia puhumaan paremmin suomea, ja tämä näytää tavalta, joka voin huomata, mitä en vielä tiedä.
Can I join in? I want to learn to speak better Finnish, and this looks like a way I can figure out what I still don't know.

Nannalu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Nannalu »

Ek is getatoeëer volgende week, weer. Begin my arm moue hierdie tyd. Sal plaas foto wanneer dit gedoen is.
I'm getting tattooed next week, again. Beginning my arm sleeves this time. Will post a photo when it's done.

(If it even happens that is... I'm so disorganised.)
næn:älʉː

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

イーメールに早く答えない人を嫌がる。:|
I hate people who don't answer emails promptly. :|

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

TheCommissar wrote:Voinko liittyä mukaan? Haluan oppia puhumaan paremmin suomea, ja tämä näytää tavalta, joka voin huomata, mitä en vielä tiedä.
Can I join in? I want to learn to speak better Finnish, and this looks like a way I can figure out what I still don't know.
NATÜRLICH [PRONPERS]2 EINTRET DÜRF
NATURAL [PRONPERS]2 JOIN-IN BE-ALLOWED
Of course you can join in.

VIELLEICHT HIER MENSCH3 [DETPOSS]2 FINNLAND PRÜF, BERICHTIG KÖNN, 3HELF2
MAYBE HERE PERSON3 [DETPOSS]2 FINLAND CHECK, CORRECT CAN, 3HELP2
Maybe someone here can check your Finnish for you and help you out with it.

HIER FINNLAND MENSCH EINIGE [DETEXIST]HIER
HERE FINLAND PERSON SOME [DETEXIST]HERE
There are some Finnish people here.

[PRONPERS]1 BISSCHEN FINNLAND KÖNN, ABER [DETPOSS]2 FINNLAND BESSER
[PRONPERS]1 A-LITTLE FINLAND CAN, BUT [DETPOSS]2 FINLAND BESSER
I can speak a bit of Finnish but your Finnish is better.
Nannalu wrote:getatoeëer
http://media.spreadthesign.com/video/mp4/6/14614.mp4
________
MY MUSIC

Nannalu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Nannalu »

Imralu wrote:
Nannalu wrote:getatoeëer
http://media.spreadthesign.com/video/mp4/6/14614.mp4
Blame the Dutch.
næn:älʉː

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

Que foi? Esse palavra é completamente normal.
What's wrong with that word? That word is perfectly normal.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Imralu wrote:
VIELLEICHT DREISSIG Klassifikator:GROSS-2D
MAYBE THIRTY Classifier:LARGE-2D
Maybe a big '30'?

8)

ABER ERNST [PASS4 PAM4 WAS?]W
BUT SERIOUS [SUIT/MATCH4 personal.agreement.marker4 WHAT?]W
But seriously, what's something that would personally suit him?
Hai, ookii 30-ban wo tsukurou. Wakaranai riyuu de anooo... fesanto mo tsukuru to kimeta.
Yeah, I'm gonna make a big 30. And for some reason I decided to also make a pheasant.
finlay wrote:
30 (30-sai)
Ara, arabikku suuji wo tsukau noni, chanto "sai"tte wo kakanakucha ikenai?
Oh, you're supposed to write out "sai", even when using Arabic numerals.
My most recent quiz:

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Bikutaa-san, motto osoku Hangarii-go wo manandara ii. :( Isshoni tsukau kanosei ga attara.* Watashi wa Hangarii-go no kyoukasho ga atte, itsuka chotto naraitai ga, ima wa muri. :(
Viktor, you should have studied Hungarian later. :( We could've used it together. I have a Hungarian textbook, and want to learn a little, but right now it's impossible. :(

*I have no idea how to construct this sentence.
My most recent quiz:

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

TheCommissar wrote:Voinko liittyä mukaan? Haluan oppia puhumaan paremmin suomea, ja tämä näytää tavalta, jokanka avulla voin huomata, mitä en vielä tiedä osaa.
Joka is nominative, so you can't use when it's you and not the way that is the subject. Osata suits better than tietää when talking about a language. I would also swap places with paremmin and suomea, it feels more natural that way. On the whole, you seem to be doing pretty well. :)
My most recent quiz:

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

Qwynegold wrote:Bikutaa-san, motto osoku Hangarii-go wo manandara ii. :( Isshoni tsukau kanosei ga attara.* Watashi wa Hangarii-go no kyoukasho ga atte, itsuka chotto naraitai ga, ima wa muri. :(
Viktor, you should have studied Hungarian later. :( We could've used it together. I have a Hungarian textbook, and want to learn a little, but right now it's impossible. :(

[PRONPERS]3 WART MUSS-Neg
[PRONPERS]3 WAIT HAVE-TO-Neg
He doesn't have to wait.

SPÄTER 3HELF2 KÖNN
LATER 3HELP2 CAN
He can help you later.
________
MY MUSIC

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Qwynegold wrote:Bikutaa-san, motto osoku Hangarii-go wo manandara ii. :( Isshoni tsukau kanosei ga attara.* Watashi wa Hangarii-go no kyoukasho ga atte, itsuka chotto naraitai ga, ima wa muri. :(

Like:
ハンガリー語はもっと遅く勉強したらよかったよ。そうながら、一緒に使える/話せる。
Hangari-go wa motto osoku benkyou shitara yokatta yo. Sou nagara, issho ni tsukaeru/hanaseru.
(i think)