Help your fluency in a nifty way

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Help your fluency in a nifty way

Post by Vijay »

Astraios wrote:I only meant your next posts,
Lo sé. ;)
I know.
but this makes me very happy. :D
¡Estoy feliz de que te guste!
I'm happy you like it!
Buran wrote:¿Cómo les gusta la serie Bourne?
What do you think of the Bourne movies?
Nunca la vi. Veo películas raramente.
I've never seen them. I rarely watch movies.

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

Waknáskwayʌ é·lhal. Watahsó·kwas niwahsohkó·tʌ.
I have a brown dog.
(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.2
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Sglod
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Sglod »

Beth 'dy ei enw fo?

What's its name?

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yng »

Sglod wrote:Beth 'dy ei enw fo?

What's its name?
y u contract 'dy but not beth > be

(ac i fod yn onest ma'n well gen i ddeud 'ei enw o', ond dwn i'm pam)
كان يا ما كان / يا صمت العشية / قمري هاجر في الصبح بعيدا / في العيون العسلية

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Astraios wrote:Я тоже вчера была буха, но только из ананасовой водкой, которая вкусно не была вкусная. Я бывала в Эйлате у Красного моря. Имя Эйлат означает «фисташку», но имя города сохраняет окончательное *-t единственного числа женского рода, которое на праеврейском языке уже потерялось, а обыкновенное слово «фисташка» — только «эйла» без *-t. Классно

I was drunk yesterday too, but I had only drunk pineapple-flavor vodka and it wasn’t nice. I was in Eilat at the Red Sea. The name Eilat means “terebinth tree”, but the name of the city has preserved the final *-t of the feminine singular which had generally been lost by Proto-Hebrew, and the ordinary word for “terebinth” is just “eila” without the *-t. Neat.
linguoboy wrote:Heute fühl ich mich ein bisschen krank, aber ich denke nicht, dass ich wirklich krank bin. Es ist nur die Folgenerscheinung von der Zeitumstellung.
I feel a little sick today, but I don't believe I really am. It's just the effects of the shift to DST.
I'd say "eine Folgeerscheinung der Zeitumstellung": 1) the definite Article may be idiomatic in English here, but in German, it's not; and at least for me, using literary words like Folgeerscheinung doesn't go together well with the colloquial genitive replacement by von.
jmcd wrote:Es scheint mir, dass diese Namen schon da vor der Einführung einer Rechtschreibung da waren.
It seems to me that these names were laready there before the adoption of an orthography.
linguoboy wrote:Mierendorffstraße ist nach dem Politiker Carlo Mierendorff benannt. Bist du sicher, dass die anderen Straßennamen nicht auch Personennamen nicht auch enthalten?
Mierendorffstraße is named for the politician Carlo Mierendorff. Are you sure the other street names don't also contain personal names?
jal wrote:
De meestgezochte terrorist van Europa is vandaag in Brussel opgepakt en dus dat is goede nieuws.
Ja, es war / wurde auch Zeit.
Yeah, it's about time.
Imralu wrote:Als ich das letzte Mal betrunken war, war ich in einem Videoclip für ein Lied, das vom Betrunkenwerden handelt. (Ich bin der Typ rechts mit dem Bart.) Im Lied ruft der Typ immer seine(n) Ex an, wenn er betrunken ist. Ich bin stattdessen auf dem Nachhauseweg in einen Wald gegangen, um in Ruhe zu weinen und habe dann diese Ruhe zerstört, indem ich unaufhörlich geschrien habe. Ich habe mich an diesem Abend mit dem Alkohol aufgehört.
The last time I got drunk I was in a video clip for a song about getting drunk. (I'm the guy on the right with the beard.) In the song, the guy always calls his ex when he's drunk. Instead of that, I walked into a forest on my way home so that I could cry in peace and quiet and then I destroyed that peace and quiet by not being able to stop screaming. I broke up with alcohol that night.
Ty tam jesteś w początku klipu? Zabawnie. Kraftklub dość mi się podoba.
You're there at the start of the clip? Fun. I quite like Kraftklub.
Viktor77 wrote:Der Schock von den Terroranschlägen in Brüssel sitzt noch tief hier in Belgien, aber was mich am meisten erschreckt ist, dass, diese Anschläge in der westlichen Welt dermaßen immer mehr gewöhnlicher geworden sind, dass wir nicht mehr erstaunt darüber sind, was in Brüssel passiert ist sind. Denkt einen Moment darüber nach, in der westliche Welt ist es jetzt gewöhnlich geworden, um einen Anschlag, wo unschuldige Menschen ums Leben in Massen dahingemetzelt werden, zu durchleben, und wir sind nicht einmal so sehr erstaunt.[/b]
We're still reeling here in Belgium from the terrorist attacks in Brussels, but what scares me the most is the fact that these attacks in the Western World have become more and more "normal," to such an extent that were are no longer truly surprised by what has happened in Brussels. Think about that a for a moment, in the Western Word it has now become normal to experience a terrorist attack where innocent people are massacred en masse and we are not that surprised.
linguoboy wrote:Für dich ist es erst jetzt "normal geworden". Ich bin alt genug, mich an ETA und die Provos und die Real IRA zu erinnern.
It's just "become normal" for you. I'm old enough to remember ETA and the Provos and the Real IRA.
jal wrote:Und davor, die Rote Armee Fraktion. Und vergesst auch Oklahoma nicht - das war in*1) 1995. Ich denke, Vik, dass du unter dem Rezenzeffekt leidest.
And before that the Red Army Faction. And don't forget Oklahoma - that was in '95. I think Vik, that you suffer from the recency effect.
*1) You see in before years more and more often, but it's still better German to leave it out.
jmcd wrote:Ich höre gerade Come Out Ye Black and Tans von den Wolfe tones. Vielleicht verstehe ich besser jetzt Daesh.
I'm listening just now to Come Out Ye Black and Tans by the Wolfe tones. Maybe I understand Daesh better now.
jal wrote:Ich bin heute in Saarbrücken, Deutschland, auf der Revision*2). Es macht viel Spaß! Ich sitze an einem Tisch mit einer Menge Franzosen, aber glücklicherweisse sprechen sie alle Englisch (wenn sie nicht Französisch reden).
I'm currently in Saarbrucken, Germany, at Revision. It's lots a fun! I'm sitting at a table with a bunch of French people, but luckily they speak English (when they're not talking French).
*2) Events, cons, etc. take the definite article in German.
jal wrote:
Viktor77 wrote:You can practice your French!
Haha, du Witzbold!
Haha, you joker!
Viktor77 wrote:I don't know if anyone here is interested by Russian literature, but the friend with whom I'm staying in Paris, her grand father was the Soviet writer Yulian Semyonov, if someone knows him. It's pretty neat. I didn't know this author when I got here but I think that I am going to read one of his novels one day in English. He wrote spy novels that were translated into several languages.
Cool! Semionow jest dość popularny w byłym Związku Radzieckim.
Cool! Semyonov is nogal populair in de voormalige Soviet-Unie.

Cool! Semyonov is a household name in the former Soviet Union.
Astraios wrote:I’m interested in Russian literature, but I don’t like spy novels. I love watching spy films (especially James Bond ones).
Najsłynnejsza powieść Semionowa Семьнадцать мгновений весны ("17 momentów wiosny"), o szpiegu radzickim działącym w Niemczach nazistowskich podczas ich ostatnich miesięcy, został zaadaptowana na serial telewizyjny, które jest klasykiem kultowym. Jeżeli masz pryjaciół rosysjskich, jest szans, że go mają na wideo albo CD - oglądaj, i od razu zrozumiesz wszystkie żarty o Sztirlicu.
Semyonov's most famous novel Семьнадцать мгновений весны ("17 moments of spring"), about a Soviet spy working in Nazi Germany during its final months, was made into a TV series that's a cult classic. If you have Russian friends, chances are that they have it on Video or DVD - watch it and you'll suddenly understand all the Shtirlits jokes.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Dioch yn fawr, Hans-Werner!
Vielen Dank, Hans-Werner!

Ich bin besonders interessiert an deiner Verbesserung von "Witzer" gewesen. Es ist mir schwer gefallen, zwischen den verschiedenen Möglichkeiten zu entscheiden.
I was especially interested in seeing your correction of "Witzer". I was having a tough time deciding between the various alternatives.

Nooj
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Nooj »

Pues vivo en España y mi mejor amiga aquí es alemana y ya estoy pensando (en serio) aprender el alemán, o sea si tengo acceso a una hablante nativa porque no.

I live in spain and my best friend is german and im now serious thinking about learning german, i mean i got access to a native speaker.

Tiene un acento precioso al hablar español, de todos los acentos extranjeros con que estoy familiarizado, el suyo es el mejor sin lugar de dudas.

She has an awesome (german) accent when she speaks spanish, of all the foreign accents in spanish i know, hers is the best without a doubt.

Pero me da un poco de miedo la idea de dedicarme al alemán sin haber aun dominado español. No quiero que desviando perjudique mi aprendizaje.

But im a bit acared of the idea of drvoting my time to german without having yet mastered spanish, i dont want to hurt my learning by going off track.

Consejos?
advices?

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

hwhatting wrote:Cool! Semionow jest dość popularny w byłym Związku Radzieckim.
Cool! Semyonov is nogal populair in de voormalige Soviet-Unie.

Cool! Semyonov is a household name in the former Soviet Union.

Najsłynnejsza powieść Semionowa Семьнадцать мгновений весны ("17 momentów wiosny"), o szpiegu radzickim działącym w Niemczach nazistowskich podczas ich ostatnich miesięcy, został zaadaptowana na serial telewizyjny, które jest klasykiem kultowym. Jeżeli masz pryjaciół rosysjskich, jest szans, że go mają na wideo albo CD - oglądaj, i od razu zrozumiesz wszystkie żarty o Sztirlicu.
Semyonov's most famous novel Семьнадцать мгновений весны ("17 moments of spring"), about a Soviet spy working in Nazi Germany during its final months, was made into a TV series that's a cult classic. If you have Russian friends, chances are that they have it on Video or DVD - watch it and you'll suddenly understand all the Shtirlits jokes.
Merci pour les corrections.

C'est chouette que tu le connais! Ca c'est le roman exact qu'ils m'ont montré! Sa mère a écrit les biographies sur Semyonov ainsi qu'un guide à Paris en russe qui a vendu beaucoup de copies en Russie. Je pouvais apprendre un peu plus sur la culture russe, ce qui a été chouette...sauf qu'ils ont beaucoup parlé en russe entre eux et j'en comprends rien. :P

It's cool that you've heard of him! That was the exact novel that they showed me! Her mother wrote the biographies on Semyonov along with a guide to Paris in Russian that sold lots of copies in Russia. I got to learn a lot about Russian culture which was awesome...except that they spoke a lot amongst themselves in Russian and I understand nothing!
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

Sglod wrote:Beth 'dy ei enw fo?

What's its name?
Wálko né· yutáyats.
Her name is Margo.
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Buran wrote:Miré Goldfinger por primera vez cuando tenía doce años y todavía es uno de mis películas favoritas. Miré El Topo cuando salió y aunque me gustaba mucho, ahora no puedo mirar películas de espías y no compararlos con ella. ¿Cómo les gusta la serie Bourne?
I first saw Goldfinger when I was twelve and it's still one of my favourite movies. I saw Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy when it came out, and although I liked it a lot, now I can't watch spy movies without comparing them to it. What do you think of the Bourne movies?
אני בכלל מתה על שון קונרי. קולין פירת׳ אבל משום מה תמיד מרגיז אותי, למרות שאת "החפרפרת" כן אהבתי. ואני אוהבת גם את סדרת בורן (ואת מאט דיימון), פחות מאת בונד, אבל עדיין עכשיו אני רוצה לראות שוב. אני גם מאוד אוהבת את הסרט "סולט" עם אנג׳לינה ג׳ולי – כבר ראית? בינתיים אבל הסרטים האהובים עליי הם סדרת הנוסע השמיני, שראיתי לפעם הראשונה לא מזמן ולא ציפיתי שתמצא חן בעיניי, כי אני עם אימה בדרך כלל לא מסתדרת.
Ani bikhlal méta al Shon Kóneri. Kólin Firt aval mishum ma tamid margiz oti, lamrot she’et “HaKhafarféret” ken ahávti. Va’ani ohévet gam et sidrat Born (ve’et Met Déymon), pakhot me’et Bond, aval adáyin akhshav ani rotsa lir’ot shuv. Ani gam me’od ahávti et haséret “Solt” im Anjelína Joli – kvar ra’íta? Bentáyim aval hasratim ha’ahuvim alay hem sidrat HaNoséa HaShmini, shera’íti lapá’am harishona lo mizman velo tsipíti shetimtsa khen be’enay, ki ani im eyma bedérekh klal lo mistadéret.

Я вообще влюблена в Шона Коннери. А Колин Фёрт по какой-то причине меня всегда сердит, но «Шпион, выйди вон» мне и понравился. А серия Борна (и самый Мэтт Дэймон) мне тоже нравится, да меньше Бонда, но ещё: теперь же хочу смотреть снова. Фильм «Солт» мне тоже очень нравится, с Анджелиной Джоли—ты уже увидел? Пока что однако моими любимыми фильмами — серия Чужого, которую недавно увидела первый раз, и не ожидала того, что мне понравится, потому что я с ужасами обычно не могу.

I’m just generally in love with Sean Connery, but Colin Firth always enrages me for some reason. I liked “Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy”, though. And I like the Bourne series too (and Matt Damon), less than Bond, but still, now I want to watch them again. I also really like the film “Salt”, with Angelina Jolie – have you seen it? Currently, though, my favorite movies are the Alien series, which I only saw for the first time recently and didn’t expect to like, because I’m not usually good with horror.

hwhatting wrote:Semyonov's most famous novel Семьнадцать мгновений весны ("17 moments of spring"), about a Soviet spy working in Nazi Germany during its final months, was made into a TV series that's a cult classic. If you have Russian friends, chances are that they have it on Video or DVD - watch it and you'll suddenly understand all the Shtirlits jokes.
Уже смотрю. Спасибо за рекомендацию!
I’m watching it. Thanks for the recommendation!

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

linguoboy wrote:Ich bin besonders interessiert an deiner Verbesserung von "Witzer" gewesen. Es ist mir schwer gefallen, zwischen den verschiedenen Möglichkeiten zu entscheiden.
I was especially interested in seeing your correction of "Witzer". I was having a tough time deciding between the various alternatives.
Czy one wszystkie znaczyły "dowcipniś"?
Hebben ze allemaal "grapjas" betekent?

Did they all mean "joker"? ;-)

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Astraios wrote:I’m watching it. Thanks for the recommendation!
Daj mi wiedzieć, jak się ci podoba!
Laat mij weten, hoe het jij behaagt.

Let me know how you like it.

Buran
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Buran »

Astraios wrote:
אני בכלל מתה על שון קונרי. קולין פירת׳ אבל משום מה תמיד מרגיז אותי, למרות שאת "החפרפרת" כן אהבתי. ואני אוהבת גם את סדרת בורן (ואת מאט דיימון), פחות מאת בונד, אבל עדיין עכשיו אני רוצה לראות שוב. אני גם מאוד אוהבת את הסרט "סולט" עם אנג׳לינה ג׳ולי – כבר ראית? בינתיים אבל הסרטים האהובים עליי הם סדרת הנוסע השמיני, שראיתי לפעם הראשונה לא מזמן ולא ציפיתי שתמצא חן בעיניי, כי אני עם אימה בדרך כלל לא מסתדרת.
Ani bikhlal méta al Shon Kóneri. Kólin Firt aval mishum ma tamid margiz oti, lamrot she’et “HaKhafarféret” ken ahávti. Va’ani ohévet gam et sidrat Born (ve’et Met Déymon), pakhot me’et Bond, aval adáyin akhshav ani rotsa lir’ot shuv. Ani gam me’od ahávti et haséret “Solt” im Anjelína Joli – kvar ra’íta? Bentáyim aval hasratim ha’ahuvim alay hem sidrat HaNoséa HaShmini, shera’íti lapá’am harishona lo mizman velo tsipíti shetimtsa khen be’enay, ki ani im eyma bedérekh klal lo mistadéret.

Я вообще влюблена в Шона Коннери. А Колин Фёрт по какой-то причине меня всегда сердит, но «Шпион, выйди вон» мне и понравился. А серия Борна (и самый Мэтт Дэймон) мне тоже нравится, да меньше Бонда, но ещё: теперь же хочу смотреть снова. Фильм «Солт» мне тоже очень нравится, с Анджелиной Джоли—ты уже увидел? Пока что однако моими любимыми фильмами — серия Чужого, которую недавно увидела первый раз, и не ожидала того, что мне понравится, потому что я с ужасами обычно не могу.

I’m just generally in love with Sean Connery, but Colin Firth always enrages me for some reason. I liked “Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy”, though. And I like the Bourne series too (and Matt Damon), less than Bond, but still, now I want to watch them again. I also really like the film “Salt”, with Angelina Jolie – have you seen it? Currently, though, my favorite movies are the Alien series, which I only saw for the first time recently and didn’t expect to like, because I’m not usually good with horror.
La he mirado, pero no me gustaba. Me parecía que la trama fue un poco ridícula a veces, y no pude creer Angelina Jolie en su papel como héroe de acción (aunque actuó bien un papel similar en Sr. y Sra. Smith. ¿Quizás es porque esa película no se tomó tan en serio?). La primera vez cuando miré Alien era la una de la mañana, y aquella no fue una buena idea. Me asustó terriblemente. Aliens también fue divertida. Alien 3 y Resurrección, sin embargo, fueron absoluta basura.

I've seen it, but I didn't like it. The plot seemed a bit ridiculous at times, and I could't believe Angelina Jolie as an action hero (though she played a similar role well in Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Perhaps it's because that movie didn't take itself as seriously?). The first time I saw Alien was at one in the morning, and that was not a good idea. It scared me terribly. Aliens was also fun. Alien 3 and Resurrection, though, were utter trash.

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

Nooj wrote:Pues vivo en España y mi mejor amiga aquí es alemana y ya ahora estoy pensando (en serio) aprender el alemán, o sea si tengo acceso a una hablante nativa, ¿por qué no?

I live in spain and my best friend is german and im now serious thinking about learning german, i mean i got access to a native speaker.

Tiene un acento precioso al hablar español, de todos los acentos extranjeros con que estoy familiarizado, el suyo es el mejor sin lugar de a dudas.

She has an awesome (german) accent when she speaks spanish, of all the foreign accents in spanish i know, hers is the best without a doubt.

Pero me da un poco de miedo la idea de dedicarme al alemán sin haber aún dominado español. No quiero que desviándome perjudique mi aprendizaje.

But im a bit acared of the idea of drvoting my time to german without having yet mastered spanish, i dont want to hurt my learning by going off track.
Buran wrote:La he mirado visto, pero no me gustó. Me parec que la trama fue era un poco ridícula a veces, y no pude creer a Angelina Jolie en su papel como heroína de acción (aunque actuó bien un papel similar en Sr. y Sra. Smith. ¿Quizás es porque esa película no se tomó tan en serio?). La primera vez cuando miré que vi Alien era la una de la mañana, y aquella no fue una buena idea. Me asustó terriblemente. Aliens también fue divertida. Alien 3 y Resurrección, sin embargo, fueron absoluta basura.

I've seen it, but I didn't like it. The plot seemed a bit ridiculous at times, and I could't believe Angelina Jolie as an action hero (though she played a similar role well in Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Perhaps it's because that movie didn't take itself as seriously?). The first time I saw Alien was at one in the morning, and that was not a good idea. It scared me terribly. Aliens was also fun. Alien 3 and Resurrection, though, were utter trash.
actually, I think the most idiomatic way to say "I couldn't believe Angelina Jolie as an action hero" would be Angelina Jolie no me pareció convincente como heroína

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

@Buran:
Dè a tha thu a a'smaoineachadh air Angelina Jolie ann Tomb Raider? Cha chunnaic mi Tomb Raider ach tha i aithnichte airson an film seo.
What so you think about Angelina Jolie in Tomb Raider? I haven't seen it but she is known for this film.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Je suis de retour de Paris, une ville magnifique. Demain je pars pour l'Allemagne pendant une semaine. Je vais essayer de parler allemand. On verra si j'y arrive.

I'm back from Paris, a magnificent city. Tomorrow I leave for Germany for a week. I'm going to try and speak German. We'll see if I can do it.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Buran
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Buran »

jmcd wrote:@Buran:
Dè a tha thu a a'smaoineachadh air Angelina Jolie ann Tomb Raider? Cha chunnaic mi Tomb Raider ach tha i aithnichte airson an film seo.
What so you think about Angelina Jolie in Tomb Raider? I haven't seen it but she is known for this film.
Creo que vi una parte de ella una vez en la TV, pero no puedo recordar nada sobre ella. Recuerdo haber escuchado que sacó malas críticas. Qué lástima que las películas adaptadas de videojuegos parecen siempre resultar mal.
I think I saw part of it once on TV, but I can't remember anything about it. I remember hearing that it got bad reviews. It's such a shame that movies adapted from video games always seem to turn out badly.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Viel Glück!
Good luck!
Buran wrote:Miré Goldfinger por primera vez cuando tenía doce años y todavía es uno de mis películas favoritas. Miré El Topo cuando salió y aunque me gustaba mucho, ahora no puedo mirar películas de espías y no compararlos con ella. ¿Cómo les gusta la serie Bourne?
I first saw Goldfinger when I was twelve and it's still one of my favourite movies. I saw Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy when it came out, and although I liked it a lot, now I can't watch spy movies without comparing them to it. What do you think of the Bourne movies?
I think it should be una de mis películas favoritas, right? And similarly compararlas. Also, I think "without comparing them" would be sin compararlas.

ഞാൻ മുൻപെ ഇവിടെ എഴുതിവച്ച കഥ ഇപ്പോൾ അപ്പയ്ക്ക് കാണിച്ചു കൊടുത്തു. അപ്പയ്ക്ക് അത് ഒത്തിരി ഇഷ്ടപ്പെട്ടുപോയെന്ന് തോന്നുന്നു. അതുകൊണ്ട് ഞാൻ അപ്പയ്ക്ക് e-mail-ആയിട്ട് അയച്ചു കൊടുത്തു. Font computer-ഏൽ വായിക്കാൻ വയ്യായിരിക്കുമെന്നപ്പയ്ക്ക് ഇച്ചിരെയൊരു പേടിയുണ്ടായിരുന്നു പക്ഷെ ഒരു കുഴപ്പവും ഇല്ലായിരുന്നു.
[ɲaːn ˈmʊmbe jɪˈʋɪɖe jɛˈɻʊd̪iʋɛt͡ʃa kəˈt̪ʰa jɪˈpoːɭ əˈpɛkʲɯ ˈkaːɳɪt͡ʃɯ gɔˈɖʊt̪u]. [əˈpɛkʲ əd̪oˈt̪iɾi jɪʃʈəpɛʈɯˈboːjɛn̪n̪ɯ ˈt̪oːn̪n̪ʊn̪n̪u]. [əˈd̪oːɳɖɯ ɲaːn əˈpɛkʲ iːˈmeːjlaːjʈ ˈaːjt͡ʃɯ gɔˈɖʊt̪u]. [fɑːɳʈ kəmˈpjuːʈəreːl ʋaːjˈkʲaːn ʋəjˈjaːjɾikʲʊmɛn̪n̪əpɛkʲ ɪˈt͡ʃɪɾ(ej)ɔɾu ˈpeːɖijɔɳɖaːjɾʊn̪n̪u pəˈʈʃe ɔˈɾu gɔˈɻəpəʋʊm ɪlˈlaːɾʊn̪n̪u].
I just showed the story that I'd written here to my dad. My dad seems to have liked it a lot. So I sent it to him as an e-mail. He was a little worried that he wouldn't be able to read the font on [his] computer, but there was no problem at all.

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

Wakyúkwayʌ okháleʔ wakatunháhehle.
I have my e-cig and I am happy.
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Buran wrote:
Astraios wrote:

La he mirado, pero no me gustaba. Me parecía que la trama fue un poco ridícula a veces, y no pude creer Angelina Jolie en su papel como héroe de acción (aunque actuó bien un papel similar en Sr. y Sra. Smith. ¿Quizás es porque esa película no se tomó tan en serio?). La primera vez cuando miré Alien era la una de la mañana, y aquella no fue una buena idea. Me asustó terriblemente. Aliens también fue divertida. Alien 3 y Resurrección, sin embargo, fueron absoluta basura.

エイリアンシリーズはね、変だけど、一番目の映画を見たことないけど、エイリアン2は見た。スタークラフトに思い出せた。あるキャラクターがエイリアン2になんかストレートなオマージュなんだから。
the alien series is weird for me because I've seen Aliens but not the first movie. It reminded me of Starcraft. Some characters in that are straight-up homages to Aliens.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

hwhatting wrote:Let me know how you like it.
У версии, которую нашла, низкое качество, но развлекаюсь.
The version I found is low quality, but I’m enjoying it.

Buran wrote:I've seen it, but I didn't like it. The plot seemed a bit ridiculous at times, and I could't believe Angelina Jolie as an action hero (though she played a similar role well in Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Perhaps it's because that movie didn't take itself as seriously?). The first time I saw Alien was at one in the morning, and that was not a good idea. It scared me terribly. Aliens was also fun. Alien 3 and Resurrection, though, were utter trash.
Меня Джоли и убедила как героиня, потому что, наверно, я не могу ни фильма с неё смотреть без того, чтобы не влюбилась в ней. А фильмы Чужого меня действительно не очень испугали, только так, как хорошо. И соглашаюсь, у 3* и Воскрешения как раз нет утончённости, да по какой-либо причине я их люблю (и Сигурни Уивер вообще). А серия Хищника, которую увидела на прошлой неделе, мне очень не понравилась. Я жалела бедных чужих-детёнышей (не лицехватов, а маленьких взрослых).

I could believe Jolie as a heroine, probably because I can’t watch a film of hers without falling in love with her. And the Alien films didn’t actually scare me that much, only in the good way. I agree that 3 and Resurrection aren’t exactly sophisticated, but for whatever reason I love them too (and Sigourney Weaver). But the Predator series, which I saw last week, I really didn’t like. I felt sorry for the poor baby aliens (the little grown-up ones, not the facehuggers).

*«Чужого 3» — трёх? или третьего?

finlay wrote:エイリアンシリーズはね、変だけど、一番目の映画を見たことないけど、エイリアン2は見た。スタークラフトに思い出せた。あるキャラクターがエイリアン2になんかストレートなオマージュなんだから。
the alien series is weird for me because I've seen Aliens but not the first movie. It reminded me of Starcraft. Some characters in that are straight-up homages to Aliens.
Посмотри!
See them! :)

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

hwhatting wrote:Czy one wszystkie znaczyły "dowcipniś"?
Hebben ze allemaal "grapjas" betekent?

Did they all mean "joker"? ;-)
Nicht im engsten Sinne...
Not in the strictest sense...

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

hwhatting wrote:Hebben Betekenden ze allemaal "grapjas" betekent?
Would German use the past perfective here? I'd think "Bedeuteten sie alle ..." would be the German translation?
hwhatting wrote:Laat mij weten, hoe het je bevalt.
"behagen" is quite old fashioned/literary

Je sais que je ne sais rien.
I know I know nothing.

JAL

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

ܡܢ ܬܢܢ ܝܕܥ ܗܘ ܠܫܢܐ ܣܘܪܝܝܐ ܐܘ ܐܝܬ ܠܗ ܣܦܪܐ ܕܓܪܡܛܝܩܘܬܐ ܐܘ ܕܡܠܐ ܕܡܠܦܝܢ ܠܗ؟
Man tnān yāḏeˤ hu leššānā suryāyā āw iṯ lēh sep̄rē ḏe-grammaṭiquṯā āw d-mellē ḏ-mallp̄in lēh?
Who here knows Syriac or has grammar or dictionary books that teach it?

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

jal wrote:
hwhatting wrote:Hebben Betekenden ze allemaal "grapjas" betekent?
Would German use the past perfective here? I'd think "Bedeuteten sie alle ..." would be the German translation?
It's the present perfect, but yes. We've discussed that previously on this board, although it's some time ago already - the perfect is used much more in German than in English. Broadly, in colloquial Southern German, the simple past is almost dead and has been almost completely replaced by the perfect; in colloquial Northern German (that's what I speak), the simple past is still used, but it's quite often interchangeable with the perfect. This is such a case where one can use both IMD, without a difference in meaning; the simple past is the more literary variant in such cases.
I know I know nothing.
Czy jesteś Sokrates albo Jon Snow?
Ben je Socrates of Jon Sneeuw?

Are you Socrates or Jon Snow? ;-)