Help your fluency in a nifty way

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Help your fluency in a nifty way

Post by Imralu »

Ulisikia tamasha? Adele alipokuweko Australia baadhi ya rafiki zangu waliweza kumsikia nyumbani mwao na wangalitaka wangaliweza kuimba pamoja naye, hata baada ya kufunga madirisha yote.
Did you hear the concert? When Adele was in Australia, some of my friends were able to hear here inside their houses and if they had wanted to, they could have sung along with her, even after closing all the windows.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

hwhatting wrote:Is het concert kosteloos?
More idiomatic: "gratis".

(Entschuldigung, kein Zeit mehr...)
Sorry, not time left...

JAL

Ziz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ziz »

من نرفتم کنسرت، اما دوست‎پسرم آنجا شغل می‎کرد، و او گفت که همه‎ی آهنگ‎ها لب‎زنی شدند، ولی بریتنی خیلی سرزنده رقسید.
Man naraftam konsert, ammâ dust-persaram ânjâ shoghl mikard, va u goft ke haméye âhanghâ labzani shodand, vali Beritni xeyli sarzande raqsid.

לא הלכתי להופעה אבל החבר שלי עבד באירוע, והוא אמר שכל השירים היו מסונכרנים, אבל גם ככה בריטני רקדה דיי אנרגטית.

Lo halakhti la·hofa‘ah, aval ha·ḥaver šeli ‘avad ba·erua‘, ṿe·hu amar še·kol ha·širim hayu mesunkhranim, aval gam kakha Briṭni raḳda dey energeṭit.

I didn't go to the concert, but my boyfriend was working the event, and he said that all the songs were lip synced, but Britney danced very vivaciously.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

ˈd̪ʲɛ.gɔ kɾuˑl̪ wrote:I'd go there if I had the time. I like her.
Я тоже. Но была здесь жара, и Другу не захотелось выйти.
Me too. But there was a heatwave, and Friend didn’t want to go outside. :/

hwhatting wrote:Is the concert for free ?
Небесплатно, но парк — очень большой; многие люди туда ходят, чтобы подслушивали концерты. Потому же организаторы всегда ставят сцену между бугором и озером, с периметром безопасности на другой стороне бугора, чтобы людям, которые приходят без входного билета, шоу не было видно из-за первого, через последнее.
No, but the park is very big, so lots of people go there to eavesdrop on concerts. That’s the reason the organizers always put the stage between a hill and the lake, with a security perimeter on the other side of the hill, so that the people who come without an entry ticket can’t see the show from behind the former or over the latter.

Imralu wrote:Did you hear the concert? When Adele was in Australia, some of my friends were able to hear here inside their houses and if they had wanted to, they could have sung along with her, even after closing all the windows.
Да, а даже не вышла в парк. У нас тоже окна были закрыты, из-за жары (только до 40 градусов, но очень влажно), так что звучало чуть плохо, но я их открыла, слушала несколько минут.
Yes, and I didn’t even go to the park. We had our windows closed too, because of the heatwave (only up to 40 °C (100 °F), but very humid), so it didn’t sound very good, but I opened them and listened for a few minutes.

Ziz wrote:I didn't go to the concert, but my boyfriend was working the event, and he said that all the songs were lip synced, but Britney danced very vivaciously.
Ну на Бритни не ходят для пения. Для этого есть диски, YouTube.
Well, you don’t go to Britney for the singing. That’s what disks and YouTube are for.

Nooj
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Nooj »

ˈd̪ʲɛ.gɔ kɾuˑl̪ wrote: J'allerais là si j'aurai du temps. Je l'aime.
I'd go there if I had the time. I like her.
J'y irais si j'avais le temps.

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

Astraios wrote:only up to 40 °C
Una kichaa! Kukiwa na joto juu ya joto la mwili, ni motoni. Kiswahili changu si kweli, nina hakika.
You're crazy. If there is heat above the body heat, it's hell. My Swahili is wrong, I'm sure. (I translated kind of literally to give an idea in English. I wanted to say "If it's hotter than body temperature.")
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Freunde von mir sind extra nach England geflogen, um bei Adeles Auftritt im Wembley dabei zu sein. Das macht man nicht der Musik zuliebe aber für die Erlebnis.
Friends of mine flew to England expressly for Adele's performance at Wembley. You don't do that for the music, you do that for the experience.

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

Hata hivyo, mtu angechukia muziki asingefanya.
Still, you wouldn't do that if you hated the music.
________
MY MUSIC

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Mein neue Klapprechner hat angekommen!
My new laptop has arrived.

Es ist viel schwerer und großer, als ich gedacht hatte, dass es sein würde.
It is much heavier and bigger than I thought it would be.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

Mimi pia ninahitaji kompyuta mpya ya mapajani. Ninatumia moja ya rafiki yangu, lakini ni polepole sana hivi kwamba mi hukatishwa tamaa. Ina Windows Vista. Hiyo ni mbovu sana.
I also need a new laptop. I'm using one of a friend of mine, but it's so slow that I get frustrated. It has Windows Vista. This is horrid.

Mimi husitasita kuamua na sijui mengi kuhusu kompyuta. Ninangoja hadi ndugu yangu uwe hapa. Atafurahi kunisaidia kuchagua.
I'm indecisive and don't know much about computers. I'm waiting until my brother is here. He'll be happy to help me choose.

Mamangu na ndugu yangu watanitembelea kwa mwezi mmoja. Mwishoni mwa mwezi huu watafika.
My mother and younger brother are going to visit me for a month. At the end of this month they'll be arriving.
________
MY MUSIC

Ziz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ziz »

אַ גאַנצן חודש? וואָס וועט איר טון פֿאַר אַ חודש?
A gantsn khoydesh? Vos vet ir tun far a khoydesh?
A whole month? What will you do for a month?

מײַן טאַטע וועט אויך קומען מין מײַן ברידערל בײַם סוף פֿונעם חודש, אָבער זיי וועלן בלײַבן נאָר אַ וואָך. איך ווייס, אַז ס׳איז גענוג צײַט כּדי צו זען אַלץ, וואָס לוינט.
Mayn tate vet oykh kumen mit mayn briderl baym sof funem khodesh, ober zey veln blaybn nor a vokh. Ikh veys, az s’iz genug tsayt kdey tsu zen alts, vos loynt.
My dad is also coming with my little brother at the end of the month, but they will stay just for a week. I think that's enough time to see everything worthwhile.

Словарь без примерных фраз — почти никчёмен.
Slovar' bez primernyh fraz — počti nikčömen.
A dictionary without example sentences is next to useless.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

S wird richti heiss heit. I trag kurze Hose bei dr Arbeit.
Is bruth teasa a bheidh ann aniubh. Táim ag caitheamh bríste sciota ag an obair.
Gonna be a scorcher today. I'm wearing shorts to work.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

ここも暑い〜
Here too - it's hot!

でも仕事ではショートパンツがダメだわ
but i can't wear shorts at work :(

でも今日は仕事がないから、まあ、大丈夫w
but today i don't have work, so it's kinda ok lol

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

Ziz wrote:אַ גאַנצן חודש? וואָס וועט איר טון פֿאַר אַ חודש?
A gantsn khoydesh? Vos vet ir tun far a khoydesh?
A whole month? What will you do for a month?
Sijui. Sitaki kuwaona kila siku. Mamangu aliniambia kwamba nyakati nyingi atatuacha ndugu yangu na mimi peke yetu tutumie wakati pamoja kwa sababu hatukuonana kwa miaka minne. Nafikiri kwamba ndugu yangu anataka sana kwenda vilabuni na kadhalika, na vilevile yeye pia ametaka kuhama hapa. Mara ya mwisho wazazi wangu aliponitembelea, nilipatwa na matatizo ya akili baadaye.
I don't know. I don't want to see them every day. My mother said she's going to leave my brother and me alone a lot of the time to spend time together because we haven't seen each other for four years. I think my brother wants to go clubbing a lot and things like that and also he's wanted to move here too. Last time my parents visited me, I had a mental breakdown afterwards.
________
MY MUSIC

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Imralu wrote:You're crazy. If there is heat above the body heat, it's hell. My Swahili is wrong, I'm sure. (I translated kind of literally to give an idea in English. I wanted to say "If it's hotter than body temperature.")
Когда очень сухо, жар уменьшается. В пустыне даже 45 градусов — более «Ну и пусть, чуть жарко», чем «Я буквально горю». А здесь на побережье, из-за морской влажности даже ночные температуры ~24 градусов чувствуются, как «Я таю! Таю!».
When it’s very dry, you don’t feel so hot. In the desert even 45 °C (113 °F) is more “It’s a bit hot, oh well” than “I’m literally on fire”. Here on the coast, though, the humidity from the sea makes even the night-time temperatures of ~24 °C (~75 °F) feel like “I’m melting! Melting!”. :)

linguoboy wrote:Friends of mine flew to England expressly for Adele's performance at Wembley. You don't do that for the music, you do that for the experience.
Мой Друг тоже долетел до Англии для концерта Maroon 5, тоже не для музыки, а чтобы заживо видел его «Адамушку» Левина. А я, в качестве музыкальной сноб, никогда не была нарочно на живом концерте, за исключением случая, когда ставила Тель-Авивская опера «Мадам Баттерфляй» в парке.
My Friend also flew all the way to England for a Maroon 5 concert, and not for the music, but to see his “darling” Adam Levine live. I, on the other hand, being a musical snob, have never been to a live concert on purpose, except for when the Tel Aviv opera put on Madam Butterfly in the park.

Io
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Io »

what's up with the capitalisation of 'friend'?

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Io wrote:what's up with the capitalisation of 'friend'?
Ist das vielleicht ein Facebook-Friend?
An féidir gur cara Facebook atá i gceist?
Maybe that's a Facebook Friend?

ˈd̪ʲɛ.gɔ kɾuˑl̪
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ˈd̪ʲɛ.gɔ kɾuˑl̪ »

Может это его/её (я не знаю) единственный Друг? И так бывает.
Peut-être c'est son Ami seul? Ce se passe.
Måske den er hans/hendes (jeg ved ikke) eneste Ven? Den sker.

Maybe it is his/her (I don't know) only Friend? It happens.
In Budapest:
- Hey mate, are you hung-a-ry?

Ziz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ziz »

.טוב, אני אחד מהחברים האלה, אז זה לא יכול להיות זה
Well, I'm one of the Friends, so it can't be that.

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

Nafikiri kwamba Astraios analitumia neno Rafiki kama badala ya jina la rafiki huyo.
I think Astraios is using the word Friend as a fill-in for this friend's name.

Hata kama si uvuke, kunapokuwa na joto lililo zaidi ya la mwili, kila kitu ni kama moto unapokigusa. Ukitaka kulala kitandani, godoro na mito ni kama moto. Nimelifurahia joto kama lilo mara moja tu — wakati kulipokuna na upepo uliochukua jasho lolote mara moja. Ilikuwa kama unapooga kwa maji moto.
Even if it's not humid, when it's hotter than body temperature, everything feels hot to the touch. If you want to lie down on your bed, the mattress and pillows are like fire. I've only enjoyed heat like this once — when it was windy enough to take away any sweat immediately. It was like showering with hot water.
________
MY MUSIC

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Imralu wrote:I think Astraios is using the word Friend as a fill-in for this friend's name.
Разгадал. Мне так не нужно каждый раз написать «друг, с которым я живу».
You got it. This way I don’t have to write out “the friend I live with” every time.
Imralu wrote:Even if it's not humid, when it's hotter than body temperature, everything feels hot to the touch. If you want to lie down on your bed, the mattress and pillows are like fire. I've only enjoyed heat like this once — when it was windy enough to take away any sweat immediately. It was like showering with hot water.
Поэтому ходят на пляж.)) Я, однако, согласна с Энакином: «Я не люблю песок. Он жёсткий, колючий, проникает везде».
That’s what the beach is for. :) Although I agree with Anakin: “I don’t like sand. It’s coarse and rough and irritating, and it gets everywhere.”

По той же теме, Друг не хотел (действительно элегантный) постер-дань уважения Кэрри Фишер, с принцессой Леей и «Тысячелетним соколом», потому что «Меня Лея не интересует, просто, ещё скучная принцесса».
On the same topic, Friend didn’t want a (really quite elegant) poster/tribute to Carrie Fisher, with Princess Leia and the Millenium Falcon, because “Leia doesn’t interest me, she’s just another boring princess.” -_-

ˈd̪ʲɛ.gɔ kɾuˑl̪
Avisaru
Avisaru

Astraios wrote:“Leia doesn’t interest me, she’s just another boring princess.”
Et typisk en konges liv.
Une vie typique d'un roi.
Типичная жизнь короля.

A typical life of a king. :-D
In Budapest:

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

jal wrote:(Entschuldigung, keine Zeit mehr...)
Sorry, not time left...
Astraios wrote:Не _бесплатно, но парк — очень большой; многие люди туда ходят, чтобы подслушивать концерты. Потому же организаторы всегда ставят сцену между бугором и озером, с периметром безопасности на другой стороне бугора, чтобы людям, которые приходят без входного билета, шоу не было видно из-за первого или через последнее.
No, but the park is very big, so lots of people go there to eavesdrop on concerts. That’s the reason the organizers always put the stage between a hill and the lake, with a security perimeter on the other side of the hill, so that the people who come without an entry ticket can’t see the show from behind the former or over the latter.
Да, а даже не выходила в парк. У нас тоже окна были закрыты, из-за жары (только до 40 градусов, но очень влажно), так что звучало чуть плохо, но я их открыла, слушала несколько минут.
Yes, and I didn’t even go to the park. We had our windows closed too, because of the heatwave (only up to 40 °C (100 °F), but very humid), so it didn’t sound very good, but I opened them and listened for a few minutes.
Ну на Бритни не ходят из-за пения. Для этого есть диски, YouTube.
Well, you don’t go to Britney for the singing. That’s what disks and YouTube are for.
linguoboy wrote:Freunde von mir sind extra nach England geflogen, um bei Adeles Auftritt im Wembley dabei zu sein. Das macht man nicht der Musik zuliebe, aber wegen dem*1) Erlebnis.
Friends of mine flew to England expressly for Adele's performance at Wembley. You don't do that for the music, you do that for the experience.
*1) An old-fashioned pedant would demand the genitive here (wegen des Erlebnisses), but no-one speaks like this any more.
Travis B. wrote:Mein neuer Klapprechner*2) ist angekommen!
My new laptop has arrived.

Er ist viel schwerer und größer, als ich gedacht hatte, dass er sein würde.*3)
It is much heavier and bigger than I thought it would be.
*2) I had to check, as I've never seen that word before - there really seem to be purists who want to call Laptops that way. Don't use that word and just say Laptop like almost every German does.
*3) I'd strike out that part; I don't know whether including it is good English, but it's bad German.
Astraios wrote:Мой Друг тоже полетел до Англии для концерта Maroon 5, тоже не для музыки, а чтобы заживо видел его «Адамушку» Левина. А я, как музыкальной сноб, никогда не была нарочно на живом концерте, за исключением случая, когда ставила Тель-Авивская опера «Мадам Баттерфляй» в парке.
My Friend also flew all the way to England for a Maroon 5 concert, and not for the music, but to see his “darling” Adam Levine live. I, on the other hand, being a musical snob, have never been to a live concert on purpose, except for when the Tel Aviv opera put on Madam Butterfly in the park.
Astraios wrote:Вот почему ходят на пляж.)) Я, однако, согласна с Энакином: «Я не люблю песок. Он жёсткий, колючий, проникает везде».
That’s what the beach is for. :) Although I agree with Anakin: “I don’t like sand. It’s coarse and rough and irritating, and it gets everywhere.”

По той же теме, Друг не хотел (действительно элегантный) постер-дань уважения Кэрри Фишер, с принцессой Леей и «Тысячелетним соколом», потому что «Меня Лея не интересует, просто, ещё одна скучная принцесса».
On the same topic, Friend didn’t want a (really quite elegant) poster/tribute to Carrie Fisher, with Princess Leia and the Millenium Falcon, because “Leia doesn’t interest me, she’s just another boring princess.” -_-
Nie podobają mu się "Gwiezdne Woiny"?
Est-ce qu'il n'aime pas "la Guerre des Étoiles"?
Houdt hij niet van "Sterrenoorlogen"?

Doesn't he like "Star Wars"?

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

「彼」のように替えていると思った。ドイツ語みたい。
I thought friend was standing for "boyfriend", like german

45度は絶対暑すぎるよ!ここは蒸し暑くて、33度ぐらいで、もう暑すぎる。通勤でサイクリングしたいけど、夏はたぶん無理T_T
45° is too hot, man! here it's like 33° and humid, already too hot. i want to cycle to work, but I don't think I can in the summer. :(

たぶんエアコンを使う方がいいけど、使いたくないな…料金高くなるw
I guess I should use the air-con, but i don't want to... it's too expensive lol

今日は、仕事は夕方から始まると思ったのに、誰かが遅くレッスンを予約しちゃった。だぁから3時頃に昼の太陽に行かなきゃ。嫌だ〜
today I thought I would start work from the evening, but someone made a last minute booking... so I have to go in at about 3:00 into the afternoon sun. nooooo

ˈd̪ʲɛ.gɔ kɾuˑl̪
Avisaru
Avisaru

hwhatting wrote:Nie podobają mu się "Gwiezdne Wojny"?
Doesn't he like "Star Wars"?
I think it might have been a typo but I wanted to correct it anyway.

Par exemple, je la n'aime pas, à mon avis elle a devenu trop « explosive » et trop peu fascinante. Les trois premières parts étions les meilleures.
Например я их не люблю, по-моему они стали слишком «взрывные» и слишком мало захватывающие. Три первые части были лучше всех.
For eksempel jeg kan lide ikke dem, efter min mening de blev for meget »eksplosive« og for lidt spændende. Tre første dele var bedst.

For example I don't like them, in my opinion they became too "explosive" and too little intriguing. The three first parts were the best ones.
In Budapest: