Help your fluency in a nifty way

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Help your fluency in a nifty way

Post by hwhatting »

jal wrote:Was für ein Austausch?
What kind of exchange?
Kart pocztowych.
Des cartes postales.
Van ansichtkaarten.

Of postcards.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

hwhatting wrote:J´espère que tu vas recevoir encore* beaucoup de cartes postales.
*I don't know what you're trying to achieve with "encore" here. It's not in your English but it's in your Dutch. If you mean "still" it would go after "tu vas." If you mean "more" then you'd have to say something like "recevoir encore des cartes postales." I'm not sure you can use "encore" and "beaucoup de" together. I would have to ask a native speaker.
hwhatting wrote:
jal wrote:Was für ein Austausch?
What kind of exchange?
Kart pocztowych.
Des cartes postales.
Van ansichtkaarten.

Of postcards.

Hehe, het is een website dat Postcrossing heet. Ik heb vandaag een briefkaart uit Nederland ontvangen én ik heb nog één ander naar Nederland gestuurd. :)

Hehe, it's a website that's called postcrossing. Today I received a postcard from the Netherlands and I sent another to the Netherlands.

Thanks, Hwhatting. Also I didn't know that about "eh bien." Oh and I don't think I'm ever going to attempt Russian again haha. I've been writing all these people "Спасибо за почтовую карточкy." :oops:
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Viktor77 wrote:Hehe, het is een website dat Postcrossing heet. Ik heb vandaag een briefkaart uit Nederland ontvangen én ik heb nog één andere* naar Nederland gestuurd. :)
*Purely a semantic quibble: "nog een/één" more or less implies it's the next one in a sequence, but there is no sequence here: you got one, and you send one. "andere" is also a bit superfluous, as I wouldn't assume you send the received postcard right back :). So I think "en ik heb er een naar Nederland gestuurd" suffices :).

JAL

Bumblebee
Niš
Niš

Post by Bumblebee »

Das Austausch scheint interessant. Ich hatte früher einen Brieffreund, aber wir schreiben einander nicht mehr.
The exchange seems interesting. I used to have a penpal but we don't write to each other any more.

Ich wohne mit einer Kollegin, die eine streunende Katze angenommen hat. Nachts höre ich, wie sie hereinkommt. Ich hatte kein Haustier, als Kind, doch ich muss mich daran gewöhnen. Aber die Katze ist sympatisch.
I'm living with a colleague who has taken in a stray cat. At night I hear her come in. I didn't have any pets as a child so I need to get used to it. But the cat is nice.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

ഞാൻ മലയാളത്തിൽ വേറെ കഥ എഴുതാൻ പോവുകയായിരുന്നു. കാരണം, ഒത്തിരി വാക്കുകൾ മറന്നു പോയെന്ന് തോന്നുന്നു. എന്നാലും കഥ എഴുതിക്കഴിയുമോ എന്നും എപ്പോഴായിരിക്കും കഴിയുന്നതെന്നും എനിക്കിച്ചിരെ സംശയമ്പോലെ തോന്നി.
[ɲaːn məleˈjaːɭət̪ɪl ˈʋeːre kəˈt̪ʰe jɛɻʊˈd̪aːn pɔʋˈʋaːjɪɾʊn̪n̪u]. [ˈkaːɾɛɳəm], [ɔˈt̪iɾi ˈʋaːkʊgəɭ məˈrən̪n̪ɯ ˈboːjɛn̪n̪ɯ ˈt̪oːn̪n̪ʊn̪n̪u]. [jɛn̪ˈn̪aːl kəˈt̪ʰe jɛɻud̪ikəɻijuˈmoːjɛn̪n̪ʊm ɛˈpəɻaːjɾikʲʊm kəˈɻijʊn̪n̪əd̪ɛn̪n̪ʊm ɛnɪkɪˈt͡ʃɪɾe səmɕejəmˈboːle ˈt̪oːn̪n̪i].
I was going to write another story in Malayalam because I feel like I've forgotten a lot of words. However, I feel a little doubtful about whether I'll be done writing the story or when I'd be done.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Bumblebee wrote:Der Austausch scheint interessant zu sein*1). Ich hatte früher einen Brieffreund, aber wir schreiben einander nicht mehr.
The exchange seems interesting. I used to have a penpal but we don't write to each other any more.

Ich wohne mit einer Kollegin, die eine streunende Katze aufgenommen hat. Nachts höre ich, wie sie hereinkommt. Ich hatte kein Haustier, als Kind, also ich muss ich mich daran gewöhnen. Aber die Katze ist sympathisch.
I'm living with a colleague who has taken in a stray cat. At night I hear her come in. I didn't have any pets as a child so I need to get used to it. But the cat is nice.
*1) Or: sieht interessant aus

Tha an cat aig an dorus.
Kot jest przy drzwiach.
Le chat est près de la porte
De kat is bij de deur.

The cat is at the door,

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

hwhatting wrote:Le chat est à la porte
The cat is at the door.
"Près" means near to.

Ik vind katten niet leuk omdat ik allergisch voor katten ben.
Ich mag Katzen nicht, weil ich allergisch auf Katzen bin.
Jeg kan ikke lide godt katte, fordi jeg er allergiske over for katte.
Je n'aime pas les chats parce je suis allergique aux chats.
No me gustan los gatoes porque soy alérgico a los gatos.

I don't like cats because I am allergic to cats.
Last edited by Viktor77 on Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Viktor77 wrote:
hwhatting wrote:Le chat est à de la porte
The cat is at the door.
"Près" means near to.
Isn't it the intended meaning here? (Polish „przy” means “near to” as well and hwh used it.)

Jag tycker om katter.
I like cats.
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Pole, the wrote:
Viktor77 wrote:
hwhatting wrote:Le chat est à de la porte
The cat is at the door.
"Près" means near to.
Isn't it the intended meaning here? (Polish „przy” means “near to” as well and hwh used it.)
I'm basing my translationson on the German "an der Tür," which is both "at" and "near to". So yes, if one wants to be very precise, I should have written "near the door" in my English version.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

hwhatting wrote:I'm basing my translationson on the German "an der Tür," which is both "at" and "near to". So yes, if one wants to be very precise, I should have written "near the door" in my English version.
Det vidste jeg ikke, undskyld. Jeg så bare din Engelsk oversættelse og den var "at." Jeg vil gerne tilbyde nyttige råd men jeg tænker, at jeg kan tit være for pedantisk. Også bør jeg have læst den andre oversættelser.

I didn't know, my apologies. I only saw your English translation and that was "at." I like to give useful advice but I think that I can sometimes be too pedantic. Also I should've read the other translations.
Pole, the wrote:Jag tycker om katter.
I like cats.

Jeg foretrækker hunde. De er bare glad for at være levende. Det ser ud til, at katte har altid skjulte dagsordener. :P

I prefer dogs. They are just happy to be alive. It seems like cats always have hidden agendas. :P
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

hwhatting wrote:De kat is bij de deur.
In Dutch, the verb "to be" ("zijn") is hardly ever used to indicate locatives. In this case, I'd use "staat", or even "bevindt zich" if you want a pure locative.
Viktor77 wrote:Ik vind katten niet leuk omdat ik allergisch voor katten ben.
Dutch very much dislikes repetition. I'd say "omdat ik er allergisch voor ben" (best) or "omdat ik allergisch voor ze ben".

Ich bin krank. Ich habe fieber, und füll mich nicht gut. Aber doch bin ich an die Arbeit.
I'm sick. I have a fever, and I don't feel well. But yet I'm sitting at work.

JAL

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Mein Kater ist mir niemals so lieb als jetzt. Er schläft neben mir jede Nacht und bricht die Stille der leeren Wohnung mit seiner Gejaule durch.
I've never been more fond of my cat. He sleeps next to me every night and breaks the silence of the empty house with his whining.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

linguoboy wrote:Mein Kater ist mir niemals so lieb als jetzt. Er schläft neben mir jede Nacht und bricht die Stille der leeren Wohnung mit seiner Gejaule durch.
I've never been more fond of my cat. He sleeps next to me every night and breaks the silence of the empty house with his whining.
Nogle gange så savner jeg min hund så meget. Jeg kan ikke finde ud af at leve uden en hund. :(

Sometimes I miss my dog so much. I don't like living life without a dog. :(
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

jal wrote:Ich bin krank. Ich habe Fieber, und fühl mich nicht gut. Aber trotzdem bin ich auf*1) der Arbeit.
I'm sick. I have a fever, and I don't feel well. But yet I'm sitting at work.
*1) That's if your at the office or whatever place you work at. If you're just working (at or from home), it's bei der Arbeit.
linguoboy wrote:Mein Kater ist mir niemals so lieb gewesen wie jetzt. Er schläft neben mir jede Nacht und durchbricht die Stille der leeren Wohnung mit seinem Gejammer*2) durch.
*2) jaulen is more like "to howl" and mostly used of canines.

(No translations today.)

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Wszystkim Wesołych Świąt Bożego Narodzenia!
Joyeux Noël à tout le monde!
Prettige Kerstdagen voor iedereeen!

A Merry Christmas to everybody!

Jonlang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jonlang »

Nadolig llawen i chi i gyd!
Merry Christmas to you all!
My conlangery Twitter: @Jonlang_
Me? I'm just a lawn-mower; you can tell me by the way I walk.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

J'ai assez de miles pour un vol gratuit aller-retour à Alaska pour moi et mon mari. Je suis tenté d'y aller.
Ik heb genoeg miles voor een gratis vlucht heen-en-terug naar Alaska voor mij en mijn man. Ik woord verzocht naar toe te gaan.

I have enough miles for a free flight there and back to Alaska for me and my husband. I'm tempted to go there.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

hwhatting wrote:Prettige Kerstdagen voor iedereeen!
I'd leave out the "voor" and perhaps move "iedereen" to the front. With "voor" it's like it's part of a discourse instead of proclaimed as a wish.
Viktor77 wrote:Ik heb genoeg miles voor een gratis vlucht heen-en-terug* naar Alaska voor mij en mijn man. Ik woord verzocht** daarnaartoe*** te gaan.
*Everyone will understand you, but "retourvlucht" would be the normal way of saying this :)
**"verzoeken" in the sence of "to tempt" is thoroughly old-fashioned and biblical. Never ever use it in ordinary conversation, especially since it also just means "to request", if a bit formal. I first read it as if someone requested you to go there. That said, I'm not sure how to tranlate. Perhaps "ik heb de neiging om er naartoe te gaan", but that doesn't quite catch the temptation. "Ik wordt in de verleiding gebracht om ..." sounds a bit Englishy...
***I always have to look up the rules for spaces in these cases. Apparently, it's without any.

Wieder auf der Arbeit. Noch immer erkälten, ich hust noch viel.
Back again at work. Still having a cold, I still cough a lot.

JAL

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

jal wrote:Wieder auf der Arbeit. Noch immer erkältet, ich huste*1) noch viel.
Back again at work. Still having a cold, I still cough a lot.
*1) You can drop the "e" in spoken German, that's especially usual in the South. In writing I would keep it here.

Sybkiego powrotu do zdrowia!
Bon rétablissement!
Pronta guarigione!
¡Que te mejores pronto!
Veel beterschap!
Geçmiş olsun!

Get better soon!

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Danke!
Thanks!

JAL

Jonlang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jonlang »

Heddiw ydy pen-blwydd fy mam, 50 ydy hi. Wnaethon ni fynd i fwyty Indiaidd newydd yma. Roedd y bwyd yn neis iawn, byddwn i'n mynd eto, ond dw i wedi anghofio enw'r bwyty!
Today is my mother's birthday, she's 50. We went to a new Indian restaurant here. The food was very nice, I'd go again, but I've forgotten the name of the restaurant!
My conlangery Twitter: @Jonlang_
Me? I'm just a lawn-mower; you can tell me by the way I walk.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Jonlang wrote:Heddiw ydy pen-blwydd fy mam, 50 ydy hi. Wnaethon ni fynd i fwyty Indiaidd newydd yma. Roedd y bwyd yn neis iawn, byddwn i'n mynd eto, ond dw i wedi anghofio enw'r bwyty!
Today is my mother's birthday, she's 50. We went to a new Indian restaurant here. The food was very nice, I'd go again, but I've forgotten the name of the restaurant!
നിങ്ങൾ ബ്രിട്ടിഷുകാർ എത്ര ഭാഗ്യവാന്മാരാണ്! ഇവിടെ ആകെ ഒരു വളരെ നല്ല ഇന്ത്യൻ restaurant-ഏ ഉള്ളു. അവിടെ ശരിക്കും വടക്കേന്ത്യയിൽ തിന്നുന്ന ഭക്ഷണമൊക്കെ ലഭിച്ചു കഴിക്കാം.
[n̪ɪˈŋəɭ brɪˈʈiːʃɯgaːr ɛˈt̪ra bʱaːgjəˈʋaːnmaːɾaːɳɯ]! [jiˈʋɪɖe ˈjaːge jɔɾu ʋəˈɭəɾe n̪əlˈla jin̪ˈd̪jɛn rɛstrənˈteː jɔɭˈɭuː]. [əˈʋɪɖe ɕɛˈɾikʲʊm ʋəɖəˈkeːn̪d̪jejɪl t̪ɪnˈnʊn̪n̪a bʱəˈʈʃəɳəmɔke ləˈbʱit͡ʃɯ kəɻiˈkʲaːm].
How lucky you British are! There's only one very good Indian restaurant here. You can get food there that they really eat in North India.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

明日はインド料理を食べに行く〜イギリスはインドレストランがいっぱい
Tomorrow I'm going for Indian food. There are indeed many Indian restaurants here in the uk.

帰る時は絶対インド料理に行って、そしたら食べすぎる
Every time I come back home I go for Indian food and eat too much.......

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

Ma soeur a un chat et j'ai sentiments contradictoires de lui. D'une part, il est très mignon; d'autre part, il se tait jamais >:| J'ai jamais connu un chat qui est si geignard!
My sister has a cat and I have conflicting feelings about him. On the one hand, he's really cute, on the other, he never shuts up. I've never known a cat who was this whiny :x

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Szmacnego, i wzsytkim Szczęśliwego Nowego Roku!
Buon appetito, e buon anno a tutti!
¡Que aproveche, y un feliz año nuevo a todos!
Bon appétit et Bonne Année à tout le monde!
Eet smakelijk, en iedereen een Gelukkig Nieuwjaar!

Enjoy your meals, and a Happy New Year to everyone!