20 Awesomely Untranslatable Words

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Civil War Bugle
Lebom
Lebom

Re: 20 Awesomely Untranslatable Words

Post by Civil War Bugle »

Snaka wrote:Anyways, what are some English words that don't translate into any other language?
I looked around for these sorts of words a year or so ago and serendipity is the only word I specifically remember from the source I found.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

But they can be translated! He just translated them for us!

#9 is 'to prank call someone' nowadays, anyway; I'd say it's squeezed out the old meaning of prank call almost. And I think I have heard "to prank". People tend to say it when they are exchanging numbers, since everyone has caller id on their mobiles: 'prank call me so I can get your number'.

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

Civil War Bugle wrote:
Snaka wrote:Anyways, what are some English words that don't translate into any other language?
I looked around for these sorts of words a year or so ago and serendipity is the only word I specifically remember from the source I found.
How about serendipeco in Esperanto? :roll:
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yiuel Raumbesrairc »

Bristel wrote:
Civil War Bugle wrote:
That's merely borrowing.
"Ez amnar o amnar e cauč."
- Daneydzaus

Åge Kruger
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Åge Kruger »

finlay wrote:But they can be translated! He just translated them for us!

#9 is 'to prank call someone' nowadays, anyway; I'd say it's squeezed out the old meaning of prank call almost. And I think I have heard "to prank". People tend to say it when they are exchanging numbers, since everyone has caller id on their mobiles: 'prank call me so I can get your number'.
I've always called that a "drop-call" or "dropped call".
[quote="Soviet Russia"]If you can't join them, beat them.[/quote]

Civil War Bugle
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Civil War Bugle »

Bristel wrote:
Civil War Bugle wrote:
What Yieul said. The basis this thing was claiming for untranslatability was that other languages were just borrowing it wholesale. Also I think the word predates Esperanto by quite some time, so even if I am wrong about its uniqueness or whatever to English, that isn't really the best counterexample.

bulbaquil
Lebom
Lebom

Post by bulbaquil »

Bristel wrote: How about serendipeco in Esperanto? :roll:
Esperanto is a conlang and does not count. :)
Last edited by bulbaquil on Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MI DRALAS, KHARULE MEVO STANI?!

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Åge Kruger wrote:
finlay wrote:But they can be translated! He just translated them for us!

I've always called that a "drop-call" or "dropped call".
fair enough - you still have a single compound for it. I mean, it makes the thing thoroughly translatable.

I've also heard "missed call" a lot. Like 'give me a missed call'.

Opera
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Opera »

For #9, French has "biper".
Astraios wrote:Then I jumped off the tower, holding my horse by the legs to use it as a parachute.

murtabak
Sanci
Sanci

Post by murtabak »

hyggelig -- isn't it similar to gemu:tlichkeit in German? And saudade is an awesome word, same with mamihlapinatapei.

Heh, I snickered upon seeing jayus on the list, because friends used to told me that I was jayus during highschool. The meaning has changed though (within about a decade - I'm not that old! :P ). Nowadays (nge)jayus = punning, which is sort of true because most puns are cheesy. Another word, garing, originally meaning "crunchy", now fills the void.

Three other Indonesian words I can see joining the list:
- segan -- Putting off doing something out of respect to another person. It can be when you decline to eat at a funeral out of respect to the bereaved family, or when you refrain from criticizing a person because he has been so kind to you. It might seem to be a very "Eastern" concept, but I think it's a very universal feeling. After all, segan is part of how politicians are "bought" by lobbyists...

- prihatin -- This one's a Javanese concept, meaning roughly: to live simply/humbly according to the (hard) times, and out of empathy to people around you who are suffering. It's a wider concept than segan, in that it involves a whole lifestyle. It was probably borne out of the massively suffering conditions of the Javanese peasants during the 19th century, what with the Dutch cultivation system and so on...

- tanggung -- It's an adjective to describe an action that you might as well take to the logical conclusion. For example, if you buy an expensive meal but become full and can't quite finish it, that is tanggung (sunk cost fallacy, I know :roll: ). Or if a friend tells you that she just fought with her boyfriend (and this is the umpteenth time you hear about it), you can say "Tanggung amat, putuskan saja dia." (It's very tanggung, you (might as well) break up with him)

But probably there are equivalents to these in languages other than English. Are there?
I'm your friendly neighborhood amateur Austronesianist

Nannalu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Nannalu »

How can they but untranslatable when they just told everyone what they are?.... In English.....
næn:älʉː

LinguistCat
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by LinguistCat »

Absolem wrote:How can they but untranslatable when they just told everyone what they are?.... In English.....
I think what they meant was you can't capture the whole meaning in one word in English. So if you translate to the nearest equivalent, you lose a lot of the meaning. But if you try to translate the meaning, you lose the conciseness. But, yeah, "untranslatable" isn't really the right word...
The stars are an ocean. Your breasts, are also an ocean.

ayyub
Sanci
Sanci

Post by ayyub »

finlay wrote:fair enough - you still have a single compound for it. I mean, it makes the thing thoroughly translatable.

I've also heard "missed call" a lot. Like 'give me a missed call'.
I just say "call me so I have your number". (Or "text me so I have your number".)
Ulrike Meinhof wrote:The merger is between /8/ and /9/, merging into /8/. Seeing as they're just one number apart, that's not too strange.

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yiuel Raumbesrairc »

bulbaquil wrote:
Bristel wrote: How about serendipeco in Esperanto? :roll:
Esperanto is a conlang and does not count. :)
Well, try to translate Esperanto's "serendipo". (Note : Merely an instance of serendipity.) Then, you have the esperanto verb "kieli" (to be how?), which is awesomely badass. Or the krokodilado series, which revolves around the idea of "using the wrong language in a given situation", something quite important in a community where multilinguism is automatic. Or "kabei", "silently disappearing from the community of Esperanto speakers".

Even if it's a conlang, it is used by quite some people, and some original words (highly contextual to its use) do evolve.
"Ez amnar o amnar e cauč."
- Daneydzaus

Legion
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Legion »

Yiuel Denjidzirc wrote: Or the krokodilado series, which revolves around the idea of "using the wrong language in a given situation", something quite important in a community where multilinguism is automatic.
In practice it only means "speaking another language than Esperanto".

</snark>

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Dewrad wrote:Both #1 and #20 (both of which always crop up on these lists) can be adequately translated with the Welsh hiraeth (which never crops up on any list.)
As well as the Portuguese saudade and the Cornish hireth.

Also, Schadenfreude is skadeglädje in Swedish.
Online dictionary for my conlang Vanga: http://royalrailway.com/tungumaalMiin/Vanga/

#undef FEMALE

I'd love for you to try my game out! Here's the forum thread about it:
http://zbb.spinnwebe.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36688

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Ziz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ziz »

Skomakar'n wrote:
Dewrad wrote:Both #1 and #20 (both of which always crop up on these lists) can be adequately translated with the Welsh hiraeth (which never crops up on any list.)

That's a calque borrowing, though.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Yiuel Denjidzirc wrote:Then, you have the esperanto verb "kieli" (to be how?), which is awesomely badass.
Korean has that, too: 어떻다 /e.tteh.ta/. Also, Osage: haakǫ́. And I suspect many more examples from the languages of the world.

linguofreak
Lebom
Lebom

Post by linguofreak »

The thing is that no word has "a meaning". It has a range of meanings, which may overlap partially, but are unlikely to overlap completely. While it may not always be possible to give a *concise* translation of a word, one can always put words together in such a way as to give an arbitrarily close, if long, translation.

Aszev
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Aszev »

Snaka wrote:
Skomakar'n wrote:

That's a calque borrowing, though.
That has been around for at least 400 years and before that we had skadefägnad, which might also be a calque, but where would you draw the line?
Image CERVENIAN
Image JELSH
Miekko wrote:protip: no one wants to learn your conlangs. if they claim different, it's just to be friendly. this is true for all conlangers.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

linguoboy wrote:
Yiuel Denjidzirc wrote:Then, you have the esperanto verb "kieli" (to be how?), which is awesomely badass.
Korean has that, too: 어떻다 /e.tteh.ta/. Also, Osage: haakǫ́. And I suspect many more examples from the languages of the world.
Lakota (and probably many others have) has verbs for every question word, and every corresponding answer word. I thought it was more awesome that you affix demonstratives to the answer words to get "to be in this manner" vs. "to be in that manner" vs. "to be in the previously specified manner" etc.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Astraios wrote:
linguoboy wrote:
Lakota (and probably many others have) has verbs for every question word, and every corresponding answer word. I thought it was more awesome that you affix demonstratives to the answer words to get "to be in this manner" vs. "to be in that manner" vs. "to be in the previously specified manner" etc.
Korean has those, too, e.g. 그 /ku/ "that (medial/previously mentioned)" > 그렇다 /ku.leh.ta/ "to be like that (previously mentioned)". I don't know how far back these forms go, but it's worth mentioning that they all contain a contracted form of the light verb 하다 /hata/ "do".

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

linguoboy wrote:Korean has those, too, e.g. 그 /ku/ "that (medial/previously mentioned)" > 그렇다 /ku.leh.ta/ "to be like that (previously mentioned)". I don't know how far back these forms go, but it's worth mentioning that they all contain a contracted form of the light verb 하다 /hata/ "do".
Awesome. What resources do you recommend for learning Korean? :D

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Astraios wrote:
linguoboy wrote:Korean has those, too, e.g. 그 /ku/ "that (medial/previously mentioned)" > 그렇다 /ku.leh.ta/ "to be like that (previously mentioned)". I don't know how far back these forms go, but it's worth mentioning that they all contain a contracted form of the light verb 하다 /hata/ "do".
Awesome. What resources do you recommend for learning Korean? :D
I learned it so long ago, I don't have a good idea what's out there now. (I remember browsing the Language Room at my old college bookstore and practically weeping at how much the language-learning materials for Korean had improved since I was an undergraduate and had to make do with a shitty repetitive textbook geared toward missionaries.) There's an extensive list at Unilang: http://www.unilang.org/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12754. The only textbook among them that I've used personally is You & Cho (http://www.language.berkeley.edu/korean/10/) which is excellent, but it's an intermediate text.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

고맙습니다! :)