The Innovative Usage Thread

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: The Innovative Usage Thread

Post by Viktor77 »

I'm torn between Finlay and Sumeric here. I can't tell if veritable just sounds more educated, more stressed, or if it carries a unique meaning, something more tangible than pragmatics. I'm going to have to think on it.

If I may, I had another construction come up in my speech that intrigued me. During a heated argument I wrote: "So did I think that everything was fine." This has something to do with the 'so did I' or 'as did I' phrases we use. This intrigues me because it seems to exhibit typical Germanic SV->VS alteration in statements, something that I can't say I was aware we were doing in English. Perhaps you know of other cases where English flips the subject and verb in non-interrogative statements? Without sounding poetic of course.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

We have dying subjunctive forms like "Should you be interested, please inform your supervisor".

We also have forms like "Never have I seen such a thing", "Never before did I consider the possibility that .." - I wouldn't call this innovative or generally applicable, but it still exists. It's restricted to auxiliaries of course, unlike the German version.

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

Viktor77 wrote:"So did I think that everything was fine."
What's the intended meaning there? I'm having trouble parsing it as anything other than a question.

Neon Fox
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Neon Fox »

KathAveara wrote:
Viktor77 wrote:"So did I think that everything was fine."
What's the intended meaning there? I'm having trouble parsing it as anything other than a question.
I assume he's using "so" in the old-fashioned sense of "thus".

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

Ah

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Recently while perusing a Wikipedia article on the Got Talent franchise (don't ask), I came across the phrase "Franchise that's status in [sic] unknown". It took me a while to parse this, but I guess that's is a possessive relative pronoun formed by analogy with whose. It sounds quite natural to me, so I suspect I've used it before without thinking about it, but I don't recall ever before having seeing it written.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

linguoboy wrote:Recently while perusing a Wikipedia article on the Got Talent franchise (don't ask), I came across the phrase "Franchise that's status in [sic] unknown". It took me a while to parse this, but I guess that's is a possessive relative pronoun formed by analogy with whose. It sounds quite natural to me, so I suspect I've used it before without thinking about it, but I don't recall ever before having seeing it written.
That sounds absolutely awful to me; I would have used "whose" or reworded. >_<
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

Magb
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Magb »

Zaarin wrote:
linguoboy wrote:Recently while perusing a Wikipedia article on the Got Talent franchise (don't ask), I came across the phrase "Franchise that's status in [sic] unknown". It took me a while to parse this, but I guess that's is a possessive relative pronoun formed by analogy with whose. It sounds quite natural to me, so I suspect I've used it before without thinking about it, but I don't recall ever before having seeing it written.
No doubt most people would, but the word who and its derived forms are pretty strongly associated with animate referents these days, so it makes sense that some people look for an alternative involving that or which when the referent is inanimate.

It's similar to why the old Lord's Prayer opening line "Our Father, which art in heaven" sounds so jarring nowadays.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Magb wrote:
Zaarin wrote:
No doubt most people would, but the word who and its derived forms are pretty strongly associated with animate referents these days, so it makes sense that some people look for an alternative involving that or which when the referent is inanimate.

It's similar to why the old Lord's Prayer opening line "Our Father, which art in heaven" sounds so jarring nowadays.
True enough. I guess I most strongly associate which with inanimacy and who with animacy, but I'm more comfortable using who with an inanimate than which with an animate.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Does anyone else find "He's got" perfectly natural and acceptable, but the uncontracted form "He has got" to be a bit off?

He's got 10 points.
He has got 10 points.

Could be some frequency effect.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yng »

In that context yes, because uncontracted forms are only used colloquially for emphasis, and there's no emphasis there. In this exchange it's perfectly natural though:

Has he got a house?
No, but he HAS got a car.

Formally of course contracted forms are perfectly acceptable - but I wouldn't use 'have got' in writing, I don't think.
كان يا ما كان / يا صمت العشية / قمري هاجر في الصبح بعيدا / في العيون العسلية

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

Neon Fox
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Neon Fox »

Yng wrote:
Formally of course contracted forms are perfectly acceptable - but I wouldn't use 'have got' in writing, I don't think.
Whatever happens, we have got
the Maxim gun, and they have not.

Granted, that was more than a hundred years ago.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

"satisfice"

Thought this was a recent blend, turns out it's a bit of jargon that's already more than a half-century old.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

linguoboy wrote:"satisfice"

Thought this was a recent blend, turns out it's a bit of jargon that's already more than a half-century old.
From a PPE student: yeah, they've been using that one a long while.
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Has anyone encountred this usage of "cookbook" before? (The speaker is a seafood farmer in Washington State):
"Geoduck is our newest species and it took us a long time - about a decade, just to get to a point where we weren't throwing money away," says Dewey. "It's still not a cookbook today but it's profitable.

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

^That usage seems non-standard to me, but I think you can use nouns in that way.

When you had a to learn a song about geoduck in elementary school, you'd suspected that geoduck would be a cookbook too, but nay, I haven't seen much geoduck in American restaurants.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Intrusive L!

Today I said that gargling with mouthwash "only makes my throat rawler".

Porphyrogenitos
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Porphyrogenitos »

Ah, I have "bolth" for "both". I wonder if that's some kind of hypercorrection, since I have /l/ in a lot of words that historically lost it, such as palm and balm. (But not all - I don't have /l/ in "folk", for example.)

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Porphyrogenitos wrote:Ah, I have "bolth" for "both". I wonder if that's some kind of hypercorrection, since I have /l/ in a lot of words that historically lost it, such as palm and balm. (But not all - I don't have /l/ in "folk", for example.)
Bolth has been around for years. It probably originated as a hypercorrection, but I've never had it in my speech.

I really have to think about what words with the rhyme TALK or FOLK have [ɫ] in my speech. For years, I wasn't even aware I was deleting it. (Or, rather, never had it.) But I don't generally drop it in word-final position, so it was startling to hear myself restore it by false analogy.

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh »

I say words like stalk, walk, talk and they have permanent l-vocalisation, so stalk and stork ar split. But they never recover the /l/.
It was about time I changed this.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

I have permanent l-loss, with vowel quality changes, in just about all the typical words it is found in in English except calm, palm, and falcon. Note that this is distinguished from my native l-vocalization, which is applied to almost all cases of /l/ aside from word-initially, stressed syllable-initially, or when geminate. Hence when I pronounce calm as [kʰɒ̃(ː)õ̯m] this reflects an underlying /kɔlm/, which is a spelling pronunciation. (Note that not all people who speak roughly the same variety as me have this, e.g. my father pronounces calm as [kʰã(ː)m], reflecting an underlying /kɑm/.) This contrasts with my pronouncing talk as [tʰɒʔk], which reflects an underlying /tɔk/, which is not a spelling pronunciation.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Porphyrogenitos wrote:(But not all - I don't have /l/ in "folk", for example.)
I actually have a weird split there. When referring to the genre of music, I (often but not always) have [fɔlk], but in all other contexts I have [foʊ̯k].

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Zaarin wrote:
I actually have a weird split there. When referring to the genre of music, I (often but not always) have [fɔlk], but in all other contexts I have [foʊ̯k].
Holy crap, I think I might have that, too (mutatis mutandis).

I would assume this is because "folk music" is a term I most often hear from more punctilious speakers (like NPR radio personalities).

gmalivuk
Lebom
Lebom

Post by gmalivuk »

R.Rusanov wrote:Sometimes I say 'another X than Y' instead of 'another X from Y'
Possibly thanks to "other than", the first sounds far more natural to me, to the point where I'd probably correct the latter if I found I'd used it in writing.

(Without doing any actual research, I do know "there are other worlds than these" is attested at least as far back as 1982.)

din
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by din »

linguoboy wrote:
Zaarin wrote:
Holy crap, I think I might have that, too (mutatis mutandis).

I would assume this is because "folk music" is a term I most often hear from more punctilious speakers (like NPR radio personalities).
A while ago I also came to the realization that I do this, but I just concluded I was being weird. Good to know I'm not alone
— o noth sidiritt Tormiott