The Innovative Usage Thread

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Re: The Innovative Usage Thread

Post by KathTheDragon »

Ah well, I think you could say that firemen are deployed.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

KathTheDragon wrote:Ah well, I think you could say that firemen are deployed.
Probably, but I still don't understand the analogy by which it means "unemployed."
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Zaarin wrote:Probably, but I still don't understand the analogy by which it means "unemployed."
Analysing employ as em- + ploy (like enlarge, embiggen), and deploy as the opposite. Depending on how people pronounce em- , it may also have been influenced by pairs like increase - decrease.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

hwhatting wrote:
Zaarin wrote:Probably, but I still don't understand the analogy by which it means "unemployed."
Analysing employ as em- + ploy (like enlarge, embiggen), and deploy as the opposite. Depending on how people pronounce em- , it may also have been influenced by pairs like increase - decrease.
Hmm. I suppose I can understand the analysis, except that unemployed is a pretty common word.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Maybe they thought it was a synonym for unemployed? Idk.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

hwhatting wrote:
Thanks for this. I was completely flummoxed.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Zaarin wrote:Hmm. I suppose I can understand the analysis, except that unemployed is a pretty common word.
Yes, it is. But my take on the usage posted by Sglod was that it was not used as a synonym for "unemployed" (= a state), but as synonym for "fired" or "laid off" (= a process / action):
Sglod wrote:I heard someone say their dad got deployed today. I though he meant his dad was in the army or police or something and was being sent off to some sort of war or incident, but he actually meant he'd lost his job.
Of course, "lay off" or "fire" are also common expressions, but perhaps the speaker was looking for a more refined term.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

If they'd coined "disemployed", it would've been readily comprehensible to me. This is more on a par with spontaneously deciding "distress" means "disinterest" and using it that way.

I know I've asked before, but do any of y'all use "any" to qualify adjectives other than "good"? The other day I found myself again saying of a stranger, "I wonder if he's any cute".

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Has anyone here ever used "forwent" in speech, the simple past of to forgo? I'm not really interested in the forwent vs. forgoed debate nor the forego vs. forgo debate, just the use of "forwent." I found myself using it in a message where I wrote: "when the owners forwent regular maintenance...." The Internet has since shown there's a lively debate about whether one should avoid this form as it sounds stilted (which admittedly it does). So have you ever used it or do you just find a way to phrase your thoughts otherwise and avoid this stilted simple past form?
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

linguoboy wrote:I know I've asked before, but do any of y'all use "any" to qualify adjectives other than "good"? The other day I found myself again saying of a stranger, "I wonder if he's any cute".
Only comparative adjectives AFAIK ;)

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Viktor77 wrote:Has anyone here ever used "forwent" in speech, the simple past of to forgo? I'm not really interested in the forwent vs. forgoed debate nor the forego vs. forgo debate, just the use of "forwent." I found myself using it in a message where I wrote: "when the owners forwent regular maintenance...." The Internet has since shown there's a lively debate about whether one should avoid this form as it sounds stilted (which admittedly it does). So have you ever used it or do you just find a way to phrase your thoughts otherwise and avoid this stilted simple past form?
I used "forwent" in speaking a few weeks ago, and I was struck by the fact that I had never had occasion to use it before and wasn't even entirely certain that it was the past tense of forgo.

Sumelic
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Sumelic »

Zaarin wrote:
Viktor77 wrote:Has anyone here ever used "forwent" in speech, the simple past of to forgo? I'm not really interested in the forwent vs. forgoed debate nor the forego vs. forgo debate, just the use of "forwent." I found myself using it in a message where I wrote: "when the owners forwent regular maintenance...." The Internet has since shown there's a lively debate about whether one should avoid this form as it sounds stilted (which admittedly it does). So have you ever used it or do you just find a way to phrase your thoughts otherwise and avoid this stilted simple past form?
I used "forwent" in speaking a few weeks ago, and I was struck by the fact that I had never had occasion to use it before and wasn't even entirely certain that it was the past tense of forgo.
I don't remember ever using "forwent," but it sounds OK to me. A similar word, "gainsaid," sounds odd to me.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Sumelic wrote:
Zaarin wrote:
I don't remember ever using "forwent," but it sounds OK to me. A similar word, "gainsaid," sounds odd to me.
Zaarin's experiences were also reflected in several online stories about "forwent," and my own experience.

I don't think I've ever used the word "gainsay" so the simple past form is pretty much alien to me.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Sumelic wrote:
Zaarin wrote:
Oddly, "gainsaid" looks fine to me in print but sounds horrible when I say it aloud.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Zaarin wrote:
How about "forgone"?

Would it make sense to replace "forwent" with applicable forms using "forgone" ("maintenance was forgone by the owners" or "the owners had forgone maintenance" or other)?
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Pole, the wrote:
Zaarin wrote:
How about "forgone"?

Would it make sense to replace "forwent" with applicable forms using "forgone" ("maintenance was forgone by the owners" or "the owners had forgone maintenance" or other)?
Isn't "forgone" past participle/past perfect? According to Wiktionary, "forwent" is the simple past of "forgo." I mean, yes, you could rephrase your sentence to call for a past participle, but...

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Zaarin wrote:Isn't "forgone" past participle/past perfect? According to Wiktionary, "forwent" is the simple past of "forgo." I mean, yes, you could rephrase your sentence to call for a past participle, but...
But what. Is it more recognizable than "forwent" or less?
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Pole, the wrote:
Zaarin wrote:Isn't "forgone" past participle/past perfect? According to Wiktionary, "forwent" is the simple past of "forgo." I mean, yes, you could rephrase your sentence to call for a past participle, but...
But what. Is it more recognizable than "forwent" or less?
Yes, it's more recognizable than "forwent" (probably largely thanks to the stock phrase, "forgone conclusion"), but there are cases where it's more desirable to use simple past than to use a passive or perfective construction.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

"Forgone" is more recognizable and probably a better phrasing overall.

Just to be a pedantic asshole it's "foregone conclusion" from "to forego" meaning to come before.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Buran
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Buran »

Has anybody encountered a native English speaker who has st > s / _#? E.g. My cousin consistently says [tʰejsɨz] for "tastes" (meaning that "taste" is for him underlyingly /tejs/; c.f. [kɪsɨz] "kisses"), and [fɪs] for "fist". He is also a native speaker of Cantonese, as are his sisters, but they do not have this sound change. All of them are in their early to mid 30s and were born and raised in North America.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Not consistently. The working-class Chicago natives who rebuilt our roof had joices for joists, but I don't recall noticing that all coda /st/ clusters were simplified in this way.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

My dialect normally deletes final /t/ after /s/ except when broken by a morpheme boundary (i.e. when the /t/ is from -ed) except in careful speech. It also normally deletes final /d/ after /l/ and /n/ sometimes even when broken by a morpheme boundary (e.g. [tʰoːʊ] for told) except in careful speech. It also often deletes final /k/ after /s/ as well (e.g. [ɛs] for ask and [mɛs] for mask.) (Note that this does not describe my own speech, because I tend to hypercorrectly reintroduce [t] in words with orthographic -t or -d except when speaking in a lower register.)
Last edited by Travis B. on Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

At times I've heard it and done it myself, but only in fast informal speech. I think this may be the reason many people confuse "worst" and "worse" in writing because they often say "this is the [wE`s] day of my life."
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Yeah, in my dialect worse and worst are homophones except in careful speech.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Note that I myself do not "correct" just and most, and assumed that everyone pronounced them without the /t/.