The Innovative Usage Thread

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: The Innovative Usage Thread

Post by Astraios »

Shrdlu wrote:Isn't, along with dosn't is the way I learnt to spell at school, also isn't is correct according to the spell-checker.
Try reading things properly before you reply to them.

I'd expect /ɪ.ˈzn̩t/ if it was in the context of: "Did you say 'it is red'?" "No, I said 'it isn't red'", but not normally elsewhere.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Also, you definitely didn't learn "dosn't" at school, idiot.

Shrdlu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shrdlu »

Well, I did along with whant. It was only later that I learnt that it should be want and doesn't. Why this need to make such a huge thing a simple misunderstanding?
If I stop posting out of the blue it probably is because my computer and the board won't cooperate and let me log in.!

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

This better have been a one/two-time writing error. How would someone be able to teach English if they literally did not know how to spell such basic words?

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

linguoboy wrote:"Barba faces a suspension hearing at her school today. Her father, Michael Barba, is calling her punishment “extensive” and is demanding she be allowed to return to school, that the suspension be erased and that she be allowed to submit the project as school work." [Source: http://www.care2.com/causes/take-action ... video.html]

Not sure if this is simply a malapropism or if "extensive" is actually moving into the territory covered by "excessive".
I have never heard of this; I took it to be a malapropism myself.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Jetboy wrote:I ran across <isn't> online recently, which I interpreted as indicating stress on the second syllable– except I can't imagine anyone saying /ɪ.ˈzn̩t/. I'm not sure whether that's some sort of formatting error, a writing convention, or actually reflective of a pronunciation.
If what you are referring to is the n't being bolded and not the is, that sounds like a formatting error. Normally if people want to stress like that, they instead use is not, where the not receives full stress.

Jetboy
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jetboy »

Astraios wrote: I'd expect /ɪ.ˈzn̩t/ if it was in the context of: "Did you say 'it is red'?" "No, I said 'it isn't red'", but not normally elsewhere.
The thing is, though, I'd still give <isn't> initial stress– stronger initial stress, but still initial stress. Or maybe "it's not"; that's not terribly likely (or maybe it is), but definitely sounds less awkward than the wholly uncontracted one.
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
–Herm Albright
Even better than a proto-conlang, it's the *kondn̥ǵʰwéh₂s

Eschatologist
Niš
Niš

Post by Eschatologist »

I've heard my parents use the -en ending for past participles of some verbs that normally don't have it; e.g., using "have boughten" instead of "have bought".

Pinetree
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pinetree »

Eschatologist wrote:I've heard my parents use the -en ending for past participles of some verbs that normally don't have it; e.g., using "have boughten" instead of "have bought".
Tangentially, in the Little House on the Prairie series (and, i'm sure, in other books of the time), "boughten" was used as an adjective, denoting that something was bought in a store, rather than hand-made: A boughten shirt, a boughten hat, that sort of thing.

Jetboy
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jetboy »

My teenage nephew use "a lettuce" today for "a piece of lettuce"
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
–Herm Albright
Even better than a proto-conlang, it's the *kondn̥ǵʰwéh₂s

Pinetree
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pinetree »

Jetboy wrote:My teenage nephew use "a lettuce" today for "a piece of lettuce"
Mein Gott. that's like saying "a scissors". it hurts my head.

Maulrus
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Maulrus »

Does anybody use the word "sensical" as a back formation from "nonsensical"? It seemed so natural to me until a few of my friends gave me puzzled looks when I used it. I've met some other people who had no problem with it, but a lot of people tell me it sounds wrong, and I was surprised to find out it's not really a widely accepted word.

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

I haven't heard it, but it sounds about the same as various other silly back-formations; not too awful.

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yng »

Maulrus wrote:Does anybody use the word "sensical" as a back formation from "nonsensical"? It seemed so natural to me until a few of my friends gave me puzzled looks when I used it. I've met some other people who had no problem with it, but a lot of people tell me it sounds wrong, and I was surprised to find out it's not really a widely accepted word.
It's in the dictionary and I've seen it in academic writing, so...

Edit: Also it's arguably a derivation from 'sense' by analogy with nonsensical rather than necessarily a back-formation.
كان يا ما كان / يا صمت العشية / قمري هاجر في الصبح بعيدا / في العيون العسلية

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

KhúbrisInkálkjulabul wrote:Mein Gott. that's like saying "a scissors". it hurts my head.
Could be worse. He could invent the form "letti" as the plural of "lettuce".
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

What? So "lettuce" isn't actually a count noun? (I almost never talk about such things in English anyway, but still... In my dialect of Spanish at least lechuga can be either a count noun or a mass noun.)
KhúbrisInkálkjulabul wrote:
In my dialect of Spanish we do say una tijera... (Though I think it's more common across dialects to say tijeras, as in English, though I'm not sure.)

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Sinjana wrote:
What? So "lettuce" isn't actually a count noun? (I almost never talk about such things in English anyway, but still... In my dialect of Spanish at least lechuga can be either a count noun or a mass noun.)
Yes, lettuce is a mass noun; if one wants to use it like a count noun, one speaks of heads of lettuce and similar constructions (e.g. leaf of lettuce), which one can use in the singular as a head of lettuce (or the like).
Sinjana wrote:
KhúbrisInkálkjulabul wrote:
In my dialect of Spanish we do say una tijera... (Though I think it's more common across dialects to say tijeras, as in English, though I'm not sure.)
In English one normally speaks of a pair of scissors if one wants to speak of a single object; for more than one, one still commonly speaks of pairs of scissors.

AnTeallach
Lebom
Lebom

Post by AnTeallach »

Travis B. wrote:
Sinjana wrote:
Yes, lettuce is a mass noun; if one wants to use it like a count noun, one speaks of heads of lettuce and similar constructions (e.g. leaf of lettuce), which one can use in the singular as a head of lettuce (or the like).
In my dialect it can be either a mass noun or a count noun (and "head of lettuce" isn't used).

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

inb4 somebody mentions that "pea" used to be a mass noun in english

"want some more pea in your soup?"

Boşkoventi
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Boşkoventi »

Sinjana wrote:inb4 somebody mentions that "pea" used to be a mass noun in english

"want some more pea in your soup?"
Actually, it was "pease", with the singular "pea" being a back formation. (As if we derived "rie" to mean "a grain of rice".)

"Want some more pease in your soup?"
Radius Solis wrote:The scientific method! It works, bitches.
Είναι όλα Ελληνικά για μένα.

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

Travis B. wrote:Yes, lettuce is a mass noun; if one wants to use it like a count noun, one speaks of heads of lettuce and similar constructions (e.g. leaf of lettuce), which one can use in the singular as a head of lettuce (or the like).
or the usual "Different lettuces are used in different recipes" thing

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

I don't think saying "Can I have a lettuce?" is any worse than saying "Can I have a coffee?" It's just a mass noun turned into a count noun when the expected portion is obvious.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

clawgrip wrote:I don't think saying "Can I have a lettuce?" is any worse than saying "Can I have a coffee?" It's just a mass noun turned into a count noun when the expected portion is obvious.
See, what I am used to is saying "Can I have some lettuce?", not *"Can I have a lettuce?", which is ungrammatical to my ears.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Travis B. wrote:See, what I am used to is saying "Can I have some lettuce?", not *"Can I have a lettuce?", which is ungrammatical to my ears.
It's not ungrammatical to me, it just means you're asking for a whole single lettuce, not a piece, which is what was being talked about.

Pinetree
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pinetree »

Astraios wrote:
Travis B. wrote:See, what I am used to is saying "Can I have some lettuce?", not *"Can I have a lettuce?", which is ungrammatical to my ears.
It's not ungrammatical to me, it just means you're asking for a whole single lettuce, not a piece, which is what was being talked about.
Well, It's definitely atypical. I would have asked for "a head of lettuce" if I wanted a whole one or maybe "a lettuce plant" if I wanted a live one.