The Innovative Usage Thread

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Pinetree
Lebom
Lebom

Re: The Innovative Usage Thread

Post by Pinetree »

Serafín wrote:My friends pronounce the <l> of not only <calm>, where the spelling pronunciation is so widespread it's found in dictionaries, but also of <balm>, <palm> and <psalm>.
Me too.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Hubris Incalculable wrote:
Serafín wrote:My friends pronounce the <l> of not only <calm>, where the spelling pronunciation is so widespread it's found in dictionaries, but also of <balm>, <palm> and <psalm>.
Me too.
Same with what I am used to amongst younger people (back in Wisconsin).
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

Addenda: also the <l> in "calf". They have some uncertainty about "half". Not pronounced at all in "salmon, could, would, should, talk, walk" though.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

almond is the one where I pronounce it but many dictionaries prefer the one without. Also, my own surname Chalmers, which apparently was originally spelt like that to signify a long "palm" vowel (with the caveat that modern scottish accents don't really distinguish "palm" and "trap" vowels), and my dad still pronounces it that way. But I and the others in my family pronounce the L.

Shrdlu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shrdlu »

Charumerusu.
If I stop posting out of the blue it probably is because my computer and the board won't cooperate and let me log in.!

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

charumaazu

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

I have the spelling pronunciation after /O/, but not /{/.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Ser
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Ser »

[tʃa.ɾɯ.maːs]

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

チャルマーズだよ

Incidentally, basically the only time I have to give my name here is when I'm going to the doctor or bank; sometimes I don't recognise my name when they call it because it sounds a bit different. Other times, they get it wrong and call me Finlay-sama, and others just give up entirely and approach me directly with a "どうぞ".

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

I was just talking to one of my friends from up North, and he says he's never heard this phrase in his entire life used the way I did:
"How are you going to tell me?" and what I meant was "Why would you think you know better than me about this"
I've heard this from plenty of people around me; anyone else ever heard this phrasing? This phrase is the only one that this sort of interrogative-switching-whatever stuff happens with for me and the people around me, as far as I've heard.

Boşkoventi
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Boşkoventi »

Tieđđá wrote:I was just talking to one of my friends from up North, and he says he's never heard this phrase in his entire life used the way I did:
"How are you going to tell me?" and what I meant was "Why would you think you know better than me about this"
I've heard this from plenty of people around me; anyone else ever heard this phrasing? This phrase is the only one that this sort of interrogative-switching-whatever stuff happens with for me and the people around me, as far as I've heard.
Sounds a little odd by itself, but if someone said "How are you going to tell me how to X?" I'm sure I'd understand it. I'm not sure I've actually heard this phrasing though ... I'd probably say something like "Where do you get off telling me how to X?" or "You're telling me (how to X)?".

(Born and raised in the Washington, DC area, FWIW.)
Radius Solis wrote:The scientific method! It works, bitches.
Είναι όλα Ελληνικά για μένα.

Melteor
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Melteor »

^^I would think it comes from, "If you're so smart, then tell me how you'd do it," and you extend it to, "How would you even be able to tell me how to do it if I already know how to do it?" it has a very distinctive intonation.

I think I would say instead, "I wasn't born yesterday, you know." right?

Ser
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Ser »

If you think Moscow be cold in winter, wait till your next meeting with your bank manager.
Now that's some interesting subjunctive. I tried to find information about the journalist, but could find little of importance, other than her location (London).

EDIT: Forgot the source.
Last edited by Ser on Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh »

"I made/took a photo to a [relevant natural feature]"

Got a feeling that's of Spanish influence. It could be a new "Spanish Standard English", lol.
It was about time I changed this.

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

Serafín wrote:
If you think Moscow be cold in winter, wait till your next meeting with your bank manager.
Now that's some interesting subjunctive.
I'm quite sure that's incorrect in English. Perhaps the person who wrote this grew up speaking a Romance language?

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

I wouldn't say 'incorrect', per se, but definitely archaic. I've seen 'if...be' appear in older texts or imitations of that style.

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yng »

'If' + subjunctive is acceptable in archaic-y English, but that's different from what's going on here. This is 'think' triggering the subjunctive, not 'if' triggering the subjunctive. 'If Moscow be cold' is fine. 'If he think Moscow is cold' also works by this rule (though I think only 'be' is even marginally acceptable to me in this construction). 'Think' triggering the subjunctive, as far as I am aware, has never been grammatical and is probably either an L2 error or an overgeneralisation by a Viktoresque journalist who thinks their command of pretentious forms is far greater than it actually is.

It also, incidentally, doesn't work in any of the Romance languages I'm familiar with, which I think all use the subjunctive only after 'think' in the negative or interrogative, and not otherwise.
كان يا ما كان / يا صمت العشية / قمري هاجر في الصبح بعيدا / في العيون العسلية

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Tieđđá wrote:I was just talking to one of my friends from up North, and he says he's never heard this phrase in his entire life used the way I did:
This usage I am not familiar with at all, and I myself am from Wisconsin.

Ser
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Ser »

Shm Jay wrote:I'm quite sure that's incorrect in English. Perhaps the person who wrote this grew up speaking a Romance language?
Her name is "Helen Arnold", doesn't strike me like a Romance speaker (but you never know). And yeah, what Yng said, in Spanish and French you can't use a subjunctive after a verb like "to think" in the positive valency.

Melteor
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Melteor »

^^I think you'd be able to get away with "to be cold in winter" but I'm still not sure what that sentence means. Bank managers are frigid like Siberia?

This is more like, "I consider the Queen's English to be the only proper English," or something stodgy. I would never drop the "to".

Christopher Schröder
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Christopher Schröder »

I've never heard it, and I'm NOT from up North, but it seems logical enough.
"Think only of the past as its remembrance gives you pleasure."
-Jane Austen, [i]Pride and Prejudice[/i]

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

Shm Jay wrote:
Serafín wrote:
Now that's some interesting subjunctive.
I'm quite sure that's incorrect in English. Perhaps the person who wrote this grew up speaking a Romance language?
It definitely looks like a cyclical or durative aspect, in which case it's perfectly grammatical AAVE.

Ser
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Ser »

Cyclical? If you mean habitual, it does strike me as a habitual. (If you think Moscow is always cold during the winter...)

Also:
Jeph Jacques wrote:I'd rather you didn't. I've still gotta figure out what I'm gonna do.
A double modal auxiliary of obligation, combining have to and gotta? (I still hafta figure out... I still gotta figure out...) (Source) Probably an anacoluthon though, due to a sudden introduction of "still".

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Serafín wrote:
Jeph Jacques wrote:I'd rather you didn't. I've still gotta figure out what I'm gonna do.
A double modal auxiliary of obligation, combining have to and gotta? (I still hafta figure out... I still gotta figure out...) (Source) Probably an anacoluthon though, due to a sudden introduction of "still".
I do not find anything unusual about that; in the English I am familiar with gotta is normally preceded by some form of have (not have to), and can be separated from it by adverbial forms. To me at least, it is unusual when gotta is not preceded by a form of have.

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yng »

No, that's perfectly standard. It's just 'I have still got to' with the same shortening to gotta but with elision of 'have' rendered impossible by the appearance of 'since'.
كان يا ما كان / يا صمت العشية / قمري هاجر في الصبح بعيدا / في العيون العسلية

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar