The Innovative Usage Thread

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Buran
Lebom
Lebom

Re: The Innovative Usage Thread

Post by Buran »

I use /ʒ/ only intervocalically, e.g. in "explosion", "vision", "elision", but in "propulsion", "convulsion", etc. it's always /ʃ/.

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

Buran wrote:I use /ʒ/ only intervocalically, e.g. in "explosion", "vision", "elision", but in "propulsion", "convulsion", etc. it's always /ʃ/.
Same here, which I think reflects how the majority of British people say them.
https://frislander.tumblr.com/

First known on here as Karero

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Good to hear my non-native instinct on this is correct :).

JAL

Qxentio
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Qxentio »

Zaarin wrote:Something odd I noticed about my own speech recently is that I believe I pronounce /k/ as [k͡x] utterance-finally and word-initially before /ɹ/; the former seems to be somewhat inconsistent, but the latter seems to be more general.
I've noticed something similar in my own speech. I am no native speaker of English, nor does my native language have [k͡x] in its inventory. But my pronunciation of the word "cataclysmal" within a song somehow turned to [kæɾək͡xlɪzməl] or even [kæɾəXlɪzməl] with an uvular fricative. It feels completely unnatural to pronounce it any other way within the song; but when reading the lyrics I just pronounce it with a [k]. What is going on?
Meine Muttersprache ist Deutsch. My second language is English. Olim discēbam Latinam. Sú ginévam Jagárhvejak. Opiskelen Suomea. Un ek kür en lütten Tick Platt.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

I also often pronounce /k/ as [kxʰ] before /l/ initially myself.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Buran wrote:I use /ʒ/ only intervocalically, e.g. in "explosion", "vision", "elision", but in "propulsion", "convulsion", etc. it's always /ʃ/.
Same here.
Travis B. wrote:I also often pronounce /k/ as [kxʰ] before /l/ initially myself.
On further consideration I think I do have to add /l/ to the list.
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Vijay wrote:I use /ʒ/ in all of those.
Ditto. In fact, the versions with /ʃ/ sound overpronounced to me, on a par with /zg/ in disgusting.

Sumelic
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Sumelic »

Thanks for the responses. It's interesting to learn that some other people do this as well.
Axiem wrote: I use /ʒ/ in "convulsion" and "revision", but /ʃ/ in "propulsion" and "expulsion".
I wonder if it's related to word frequency. Did you mean to write"revision," or is that a typo for "revulsion"?
Frislander wrote:Same here, which I think reflects how the majority of British people say them.
Zaarin wrote:Same here.
Do you three also use /ʃ/ in words spelled with -rsion such as version?
linguoboy wrote:
Vijay wrote:I use /ʒ/ in all of those.
Ditto. In fact, the versions with /ʃ/ sound overpronounced to me, on a par with /zg/ in disgusting.
I haven't heard /zg/ used in "disgusting." It's interesting that it sound overpronounced to you, since to me it looks like the result of voicing assimilation, and assimilation is often thought of as "lazy" or "sloppy" rather than over-articulated.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Sumelic wrote:
Frislander wrote:Same here, which I think reflects how the majority of British people say them.
Zaarin wrote:Same here.
Do you three also use /ʃ/ in words spelled with -rsion such as version?.
No, I have /ʒ/ in version. I do have /ʃ/ in immersion, however.

Buran
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Buran »

Sumelic wrote:
Do you three also use /ʃ/ in words spelled with -rsion such as version?
Always /ʒ/.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Sumelic wrote: Do you three also use /ʃ/ in words spelled with -rsion such as version?
I'm not one of those three, but as a British person: it varies. Some words can only have /S/, like "immersion" or "torsion" - using /Z/ would sound completely wrong. Other words can be heard or even said with either: I would normally have /S/ in 'version' and 'recursion', but not always. To me, /Z/ in 'version' sounds like an American, but in 'recursion' it's maybe a bit more respectable. Of course, the twist here is that the contexts aren't non-intervocalic in SSBE.

There's also /Z/ that comes from softening of /dZ/, and that's never /S/. (lAdZEs or lAZEs, never lASEs). I was actually going to post about final softening of /dZ/, but now I can't think of the darned examples... oh, wait, yeah, am I the only one who has /rEfjuZ/ instead of /rEfjudZ/? Likewise in centrifuge, etc.
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Axiem
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Axiem »

Sumelic wrote:Thanks for the responses. It's interesting to learn that some other people do this as well.
Axiem wrote: I use /ʒ/ in "convulsion" and "revision", but /ʃ/ in "propulsion" and "expulsion".
I wonder if it's related to word frequency. Did you mean to write"revision," or is that a typo for "revulsion"?
I did indeed intend to write "revision". It was intended for contrast, though I can see how the broken parallelism would be confusing.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Salmoneus wrote:oh, wait, yeah, am I the only one who has /rEfjuZ/ instead of /rEfjudZ/? Likewise in centrifuge, etc.
I think I have refu[ʤ]e but centrifu[ʒ]e. (Hard to be sure, since I hardly ever say the latter.)

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Salmoneus wrote:I was actually going to post about final softening of /dZ/, but now I can't think of the darned examples... oh, wait, yeah, am I the only one who has /rEfjuZ/ instead of /rEfjudZ/? Likewise in centrifuge, etc.
Centrifuge was borrowed late (according to etymonline late 19th century), and the French pronunciation is with /Z/. Perhaps refuge with /Z/ is contaminated by that?

JAL

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

linguoboy wrote:
Salmoneus wrote:oh, wait, yeah, am I the only one who has /rEfjuZ/ instead of /rEfjudZ/? Likewise in centrifuge, etc.
I think I have refu[ʤ]e but centrifu[ʒ]e. (Hard to be sure, since I hardly ever say the latter.)
For me, refuge varies between /ʤ~ʒ/, but centrifuge is always /ʒ/.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

I have /dʒ/ in both refuge and centrifuge.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Today I heard someone say "a liquor" in reference to alcohol purchased from a shop. I'm not sure if this was abbreviated from "malt liquor" (which can be countable in the same way as "beer") or if it means a portion of any sort of alcohol.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Can one really say 'a Portuguese?' I heard it yesterday from a native speaker.

Oh and just something really stupid. I've caught myself taking simple past forms of strong verbs and adding -en to make past participles. Thus dranken, tooken, and wroten. I doubt anyone else does this and I only seem to do it when I'm exhausted.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Sumelic
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Sumelic »

Viktor77 wrote:Can one really say 'a Portuguese?' I heard it yesterday from a native speaker.

Oh and just something really stupid. I've caught myself taking simple past forms of strong verbs and adding -en to make past participles. Thus dranken, tooken, and wroten. I doubt anyone else does this and I only seem to do it when I'm exhausted.
"A Portuguese" sounds awkward but possible to me. Same for any other nationality ending in "-ese."

Native speakers sometimes say things like "boughten" or "broughten": i.e. adding "en" to past participles where it's not there in the standard language. I can't imagine myself saying "dranken" instead of "drunk(en)", "tooken" instead of "taken", or "wroten" instead of "written", though.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Viktor77 wrote:Can one really say 'a Portuguese?' I heard it yesterday from a native speaker.
It sounds awkward but not explicitly incorrect to me. For me personally, words ending in -ese or -ish are either adjectives or collective nouns, while anthronyms ending in -(i)an are acceptable as count nouns. So "a German" or "a Peruvian," but not "a Portuguese" or "an English." Anomalous forms can go either way: "a Swiss" but not "a French." Some have easy workarounds: "a Frenchman" or "an Englishwoman." Words ending in -ese require periphrastic constructions: "a Portuguese person."

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Zaarin wrote:
It sounds awkward but not explicitly incorrect to me. For me personally, words ending in -ese or -ish are either adjectives or collective nouns, while anthronyms ending in -(i)an are acceptable as count nouns. So "a German" or "a Peruvian," but not "a Portuguese" or "an English." Anomalous forms can go either way: "a Swiss" but not "a French." Some have easy workarounds: "a Frenchman" or "an Englishwoman." Words ending in -ese require periphrastic constructions: "a Portuguese person."
"A Swiss" sounds awkward to me.

Sumelic, those two forms sound like something I've heard before. I think I've done that before, too.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Viktor77 wrote:Can one really say 'a Portuguese?'
Depends. Are we talking about dogs?

In the movie Mystic Pizza, some characters used the backformed "Portuguee". It had much the same mildly derogatory connotation as "Chinee".

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

I think it's marginally OK but I usually correct my students when they say "a Japanese" – whether or not it's correct it sounds better to native speakers to say "a Japanese person".

(I usually don't bother teaching the collective noun "the Japanese", or "the Portuguese" until higher levels, incidentally)

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Two points: native speakers also make mistakes and this sounds like you're just incoherent when tired. On the other hand, "tooken" is common in Scotland.

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

Indeed, 'tooken' and variants such as 'taen' are used for the past participle in Scots. These variants and, more often, other similar variants such as 'tuikin' or 'taikin' were already common forms of the past participle of the verb 'tak' in Older Scots, (defined as Scots up until 1707).