The Innovative Usage Thread

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Matrix
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: The Innovative Usage Thread

Post by Matrix »

sirdanilot wrote:English doesn't have a gender-neutral pronoun that is not inanimate and there are historical reasons for that.
Are you seriously so stupid? We've been telling you that English has had a gender-neutral singular pronoun for hundreds of years now. It's called "they". Are you seriously so full of yourself that you're not going to believe what the native speakers of a language tell you about that language? Get the fuck over yourself, you pompous twat.

Adúljôžal ônal kol ví éža únah kex yaxlr gmlĥ hôga jô ônal kru ansu frú.
Ansu frú ônal savel zaš gmlĥ a vek Adúljôžal vé jaga čaþ kex.
Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Matrix wrote:Are you seriously so stupid? (...) Get the fuck over yourself, you pompous twat.
Yes, he is seriously that stupid, but that has been established a long time ago. I don't think however, that using swearwords is the right approach to educating him about the error of his ways. I've linked, as a response to the same post, some Google articles that may add to his knowledge. He hasn't called in here since, so I'd advise giving him the oportunity to see the error of his ways.

JAL

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Ok, this product has bothered me ever since I first saw it in stores. Would you say "Alcohol is in it?" like this? There's nothing wrong with the sentence but I wouldn't say this. I'd say, "Contains alcohol" but the way it's phased now really sounds like Engrish to me.

Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

"Contains alcohol" sound legalese. If I wanted a colloquial version, I'd say, "It's got alcohol in it!"

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh »

Or "It has alcohol!"
It was about time I changed this.

alynnidalar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alynnidalar »

"Alcohol is in it" sounds awkward to me, but I can't put my finger on why...

"With alcohol!" or "full of alcohol!" or something that like that might be more casual sounding.
I generally forget to say, so if it's relevant and I don't mention it--I'm from Southern Michigan and speak Inland North American English. Yes, I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift; no, I don't have the cot-caught merger; and it is called pop.

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

Contains alcohol sounds fine to me, and not overly formal. Is 'contain' such a formal word in English?

Dutch: 'bevat alcohol' (contains alcohol). 'Er zit alcohol in' (there's alcohol in it) would be very stupid to put on a package, though it is what you would say in spoken language. (note that Dutch prefers to use positionals, such as zit 'sit' here, rather than a form of the verb 'to be')

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh »

As Linguoboy says, it sounds legalese. The packaging tries to express it in familiar terms. "Contains alcohol" would be something you find in the small print, not on the packaging to make something look cool and trendy.
It was about time I changed this.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Which is why I find that package disturbing: they advertise their product solely based on alcoholic content.

JAL

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

ol bofosh wrote:As Linguoboy says, it sounds legalese. The packaging tries to express it in familiar terms. "Contains alcohol" would be something you find in the small print, not on the packaging to make something look cool and trendy.
I'd be ok with "Contains alcohol!" But "Contains alchol" is ok here to me simply because I expect an announcement like this to be a legalese disclaimer, not a method of advertising. But if they must advertise like this then it has to be something different. "Alcohol is in it" is jarring. I think it's the "it" that doesn't sit well with me.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Viktor77 wrote:"Alcohol is in it" is jarring. I think it's the "it" that doesn't sit well with me.
For me it's definitely the fact that alcohol is topicalised. That's why I have no problem with "There's alcohol in it!"

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

linguoboy wrote:
Viktor77 wrote:"Alcohol is in it" is jarring. I think it's the "it" that doesn't sit well with me.
For me it's definitely the fact that alcohol is topicalised. That's why I have no problem with "There's alcohol in it!"
See, I could handle that if a bartender said it to me, but I still can't deal with the pronoun. It just sounds clunky. The whole of that prepositonal phrase needs to be dropped for me. Of course "There's alcohol" is also not good form. I just need would prefer a topicalized verb, "Includes alcohol!" "Contains alcohol!" "Has alcohol!" (The last one is a bit odd. Perhaps "It's got alcohol!")
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Neon Fox
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Neon Fox »

Viktor77 wrote:
linguoboy wrote:
See, I could handle that if a bartender said it to me, but I still can't deal with the pronoun. It just sounds clunky. The whole of that prepositonal phrase needs to be dropped for me. Of course "There's alcohol" is also not good form. I just need would prefer a topicalized verb, "Includes alcohol!" "Contains alcohol!" "Has alcohol!" (The last one is a bit odd. Perhaps "It's got alcohol!")
My first impulse is to say "Alcoholic!", but these days the adjectival use of that word is dropping out.

echt
Niš
Niš

Post by echt »

The packaging is as odd as the usage. Since when are alcoholic beverages sold in plastic bags? If they want to tell me it's not just a mix, I don't have to put my own liquor in it, they shouldn't use language. They should put it in a bottle. That said, I agree that topicalizing "alcohol" is what makes it sound weird. Of course alcohol is going to be involved in a strawberry daiquiri somehow, whether it's in the package already or you have to mix the contents of the package with your own booze. I can't think of anything that sounds better, though. "Already includes alcohol"? "Boozy contents"?

TaylorS
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TaylorS »

sirdanilot wrote:Using they in a singular way is stupid, so I don't use it. IF you must be gender neutral, use he/she, as this is done in all sorts of publications anyway (at least they do it in Dutch, hij/zij).

Swedish now also has this gender-neutral pronoun thing, and of course because Sweden is so incredibly progressive the thing actually does get some usage and then of course it may have some merit if it's here around to stay.

I never heard of efforts for a gender-neutral pronoun in Dutch, incidentally. Because we already have 'het' as a gender-neutral pronoun, hahahahaha. But of course that has negative connotations. We sometimes use it jokingly if we cannot discern the gender of a person (not with people who actually have trouble with that, don't worry we are not such assholes).
Singular They has been a normal part of English SINCE THE LATE MIDDLE AGES!!! Chaucer used it!

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

Here, folks, we see a non-native speaker who thinks he knows more than a native-speaker...
ʾAšol ḵavad pulqam ʾifbižen lav ʾifšimeḻ lit maseḡrad lav lit n͛ubad. ʾUpulasim ṗal sa-panžun lav sa-ḥadṇ lav ṗal šarmaḵeš lit ʾaẏṭ waẏyadanun wižqanam.
- Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

אקֿמך ארש-הגִנו wrote:Here, folks, we see a non-native speaker who thinks he knows more than a native-speaker...
True, but we kinda moved on after scolding Sir D. for pages on end. I think he learned his lesson.

JAL

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

now now

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

sirdanilot wrote:now now
Haha, I first read that as a slightly ominous "for now".

Anyway, just curious, sirdanilot, let's say you're in an English speaking setting and you're leaving a classroom and you see that somebody has left their phone behind and you wish to mention this to someone, what would you personally say? You have no idea whether the owner of the phone is male or female. Would you say "his", "his or her" or something else? I'm a native English speaker and, bugger the stupid prescriptive rules - as far as I'm concerned, saying his is ungrammatical and his or her is poor style. I'd say around 99% of all native English speakers would use their in this sentence and all of those who wouldn't would probably find clause-final prepositions an abomination up with which they simply will not put.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

I would use 'his', as that is what you would say in Dutch, and English is my L2 so I will often calque Dutch structures into my English.

Iemand heeft z'n telefoon laten liggen (somebody has left his telephone (lying, remember in Dutch you always have to specifiy the position of the object)

Perhaps Dutch is a little bit better in this regard, haha. *iemand heeft hun telefoon laten liggen using a plural pronoun would be completely off.

Grunnen
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Grunnen »

sirdanilot wrote:I would use 'his', as that is what you would say in Dutch, and English is my L2 so I will often calque Dutch structures into my English.

Iemand heeft z'n telefoon laten liggen (somebody has left his telephone (lying, remember in Dutch you always have to specifiy the position of the object)

Perhaps Dutch is a little bit better in this regard, haha. *iemand heeft hun telefoon laten liggen using a plural pronoun would be completely off.
Could you, using objective rational arguments, make a case Dutch would be 'better' because of this use of 'zijn' instead of e.g. 'hun'?
χʁɵn̩
gʁonɛ̃g
gɾɪ̃slɑ̃

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

Of course no language is better than any other. But using a plural pronoun for plural things, and a singular pronoun for singular things seems much more logical and easy to learn (for L2 learners) to me than using a plural pronoun (their) for something singular.

Matrix
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Matrix »

sirdanilot wrote:seems much more logical and easy to learn
Since when are natlangs anything like these?

Adúljôžal ônal kol ví éža únah kex yaxlr gmlĥ hôga jô ônal kru ansu frú.
Ansu frú ônal savel zaš gmlĥ a vek Adúljôžal vé jaga čaþ kex.
Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh.

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

They don't have to be, but throughout history languages that seem more logical have been regarded more. Latin and Sanskrit as the ultimate, elegant, sophisticated languages.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

sirdanilot wrote:Latin and Sanskrit as the ultimate, elegant, sophisticated languages.
That seems to imply that other languages should strive to be like Latin and Sanskrit?

JAL