The Innovative Usage Thread

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: The Innovative Usage Thread

Post by finlay »

Chuma wrote:
Risla Amahendir wrote:I forgot to mention this before, but I went through an "amn't" phase. :P
I say that too. It makes sense.
It's common in Scotland – I didn't realise that it wasn't generally used elsewhere until I was made fun of for it by some Welsh kids.

Jetboy
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jetboy »

Yesterday I asked a friend if he disdained of risotto pans. My neologising knows no bounds!
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
–Herm Albright
Even better than a proto-conlang, it's the *kondn̥ǵʰwéh₂s

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Today I heard a city employee refer to a corrupt politician[*] as "skunky". Previously I'd only heard this term used to describe rancid beer, and it took me a moment to parse it in this context.

[*] I know, a redundant expression here in Illinois.

Bedelato
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Bedelato »

A few times in the past, I've heard people use a verb "to verse" meaning "compete against". As in, Do you want to verse me?

It's a back-formation from "versus", with the Latin-derived "-us" /-əz/ being reanalyzed as a 3s verb ending.

Some dude versus some other dude → "Some dude vers-es some other dude"

I haven't heard it recently, but I distinctly remember it being used on a few occasions. Can't cite specific quotes, though.
Last edited by Bedelato on Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At, casteda dus des ometh coisen at tusta o diédem thum čisbugan. Ai, thiosa če sane búem mos sil, ne?
Also, I broke all your metal ropes and used them to feed the cheeseburgers. Yes, today just keeps getting better, doesn't it?

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Bedelato wrote:A few times in the past, I've heard people talking about "versing" each other (e.g. in a competition).

It's a back-formation from "versus", with the "-us" being reanalyzed as a 3s verb ending.

I haven't heard it recently, but I distinctly remember it being used on a few occasions. Can't cite specific quotes, though.
I've heard this enough (although never from anyone over the age of 13 or so) that I'd guess it's relatively widespread.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

bulbaquil
Lebom
Lebom

Post by bulbaquil »

I've heard it frequently too. Concur on widespread.
MI DRALAS, KHARULE MEVO STANI?!

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yng »

I have some sort of strange (well, it may well be widespread) animacy or pronoun/noun contrast thing going on with word order in dative-shifts. A noun may be dative shifted:

'I gave the man the box'

And pronouns may be dative shifted:

'I gave him the box'

'I gave him it'

But a noun, when the recipient, cannot take a pronominal theme without the word order switching:

*'I gave the man it' > 'I gave it the man'.
كان يا ما كان / يا صمت العشية / قمري هاجر في الصبح بعيدا / في العيون العسلية

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

Bedelato
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Bedelato »

The phpBB FAQ wrote:» Why isn’t X feature available?
Looks like we've got a new determiner...
At, casteda dus des ometh coisen at tusta o diédem thum čisbugan. Ai, thiosa če sane búem mos sil, ne?
Also, I broke all your metal ropes and used them to feed the cheeseburgers. Yes, today just keeps getting better, doesn't it?

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Bedelato wrote:
The phpBB FAQ wrote:» Why isn’t X feature available?
Looks like we've got a new determiner...
widespread

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yng »

Also, following a discussion on another thread: can you guys dative-shift in the passive?

'It was given the boy by his mum' - it was given to the boy by his mum

To be fair this sentence would also allow exactly the same placings with 'to', and it's possible to analyse my weird dative shiftings as dropping of 'to' LIKE a dative shift but with standard syntax, which would explain this sentence just as well.

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

I can't, but I don't think I can dative shift with pronouns at all.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

In a meeting on Thursday morning, the House Democratic caucus rejected the president's proposed deal on the Bush tax cuts but did not fully submarine the possibility of its passage, multiple sources tell The Huffington Post.
"Submarine"? According to Wiktionary, the meaning is "torpedo", but this usage is completely new to me and I wouldn't've gotten it from context.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

I'm not going to go into how much mickeymouse I've had to deal with trying to get my DSL connection up and running.
Heard it as an adjective and a verb before, but not as a noun. Inevitable, I guess.

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

linguoboy wrote:
I'm not going to go into how much mickeymouse I've had to deal with trying to get my DSL connection up and running.
Heard it as an adjective and a verb before, but not as a noun. Inevitable, I guess.
Never heard it as a verb, only as an adjective or noun, oddly. Most frequently as an adjective, of course.
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

äreo
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by äreo »

Does anyone else find themselves using 'hard' as a adverb generally meaning 'vigourously, a lot, strongly' for any verb? It's common with certain verbs (like 'work hard') but I use it (and I think I remember hearing it used) more liberally, like in 'running hard' or 'I care really hard about this' or 'she grabbed it hard'.

And the other day I said 'elsewhere' to change a subject, like one would say (in my area at least) 'anyways' or 'okay'. Not sure why I chose that word, but it seemed to fit.

Ascima mresa óscsma sáca psta numar cemea.
Cemea tae neasc ctá ms co ísbas Ascima.
Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho.

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

äreo wrote:Does anyone else find themselves using 'hard' as a adverb generally meaning 'vigourously, a lot, strongly' for any verb? It's common with certain verbs (like 'work hard') but I use it (and I think I remember hearing it used) more liberally, like in 'running hard' or 'I care really hard about this' or 'she grabbed it hard'.
"run hard" yes; "grab hard" yes; "care hard" no.
äreo wrote:And the other day I said 'elsewhere' to change a subject, like one would say (in my area at least) 'anyways' or 'okay'. Not sure why I chose that word, but it seemed to fit.
"In other action".

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yng »

More dative-shifting fun.

Today I heard:

'Have you got anyone presents?'
'I've got Jess, but not Laura. You?'
'Well, I've bought Laura, but I don't know what to get Jess.'

I've never noticed this before - dative-shifting without a first direct object present. I suppose it would be better to analyse this as being the creation of a new monotransitive use of these verbs by analogy with 'tell' ('tell him', 'tell (him) the story (/to him)', where the monotransitive use treats the object as the recipient and the ditransitive shifts the recipient to indirect object (I'm not quite sure what this is called - it seems a bit like ergative verbs but with a different situation).

I'll have to look out to see if this is generally applicable to all verbs.
Does anyone else find themselves using 'hard' as a adverb generally meaning 'vigourously, a lot, strongly' for any verb? It's common with certain verbs (like 'work hard') but I use it (and I think I remember hearing it used) more liberally, like in 'running hard' or 'I care really hard about this' or 'she grabbed it hard'.
With some verbs. 'Think hard', 'run hard', 'work hard', 'try hard'. But I think these are all reasonably standard.

Agh! Every time I try and make this post someone else replies. :P

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

Rui
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rui »

YngNghymru wrote:Also, following a discussion on another thread: can you guys dative-shift in the passive?

'It was given the boy by his mum' - it was given to the boy by his mum

To be fair this sentence would also allow exactly the same placings with 'to', and it's possible to analyse my weird dative shiftings as dropping of 'to' LIKE a dative shift but with standard syntax, which would explain this sentence just as well.
No, because in the first sentence, you aren't switching the right things. Dative shift, at least IMD, switches the "givee" with the "given" (sorry, can't remember thematic roles, just finished a class on HPSG, so that's the roles we always assigned :D). There is no rule such that you can switch the "giver" and the "givee," so it doesn't work.

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

How is "amn't" pronounced?

Hmm... It seems that the use of "en de que" (some extension of good ol' dequeísmo) is not so Salvadorian as I thought. Apparently there's a song by this Cuban-Spaniard singer called Elsa Baeza with the title "En de que te vi".

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Renaçido wrote:How is "amn't" pronounced?
how do you think it's pronounced?

Chargone
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Chargone »

finlay wrote:
I'm betting it's either got a schwa between the m and the n, or the n is dropped, personally. it's an awkward contraction of 'am not' after all. (what becomes of 'I'm not' when you drop the pronoun, i guess)

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

finlay wrote:
I cannot help but pronounce it [ɛmpt]*, as one syllable; I really cannot get myself to put an [n] in there, one way or another.

* Yes, [ɛ]; I have decided that the open diacritic really is not needed here, from paying to attention to people I know back in Wisconsin, many of whom seem, in everyday speech, to have an even closer vowel than I have here. (But then, I might confuse people who do not realize I mean historical /æ/ with it, which is the main reason why I even had that diacritic there in the first place.)
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

finlay wrote:
I suppose that maybe there's a schwa between the /m/ and the /n/ (like Chargone says), or that maybe there's no /n/ so it ends up as [-m(p)t], (like Travis says), so that's why I asked. I've never heard it myself.

Rui
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rui »

I noticed tonight how funny the word "claustrophobic" is in my dialect, namely that it can be used to describe a person affected by claustrophobia ("I am claustrophobic") as in standard, but it can also be used to describe a situation that induces claustrophobia ("That room is so claustrophobic"). Interesting, and I'm fairly certain this is quite widespread, or at the very least, doesn't sound strange because I have definitely heard it from others before.

*edit* Also I discussed earlier with a suitemate pluralizing "fruit leather"...he went with "10 fruit leathers" (I had just bought 10...go ahead and judge :P), while I went with "10 strips of fruit leather". "Fruit leathers" feels wrong to me because I'm fairly certain you can't pluralize "leather" (is it a collective noun? I don't think it is...)...what are the thoughts of the ZBB with regards to this?
Last edited by Rui on Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Renaçido wrote:
finlay wrote:
I suppose that maybe there's a schwa between the /m/ and the /n/ (like Chargone says), or that maybe there's no /n/ so it ends up as [-m(p)t], (like Travis says), so that's why I asked. I've never heard it myself.
I should note that amn't is not a native word in my dialect; I just stated how I would pronounce it upon reading it.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.