The Innovative Usage Thread

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: The Innovative Usage Thread

Post by Pthagnar »

Viktor77 wrote:Oh that's what you meant. I thought you were saying that my example was inferior to others in this thread not that it was bad for me to quote myself.
God preserve us from having to think that some things are better than others.

faiuwle
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by faiuwle »

The "me three" thing has reminded me that my parents always referred to three-pronged pickle forks as "threeks" (because fo(u)rks have four prongs, so threeks have three...), and although I think it was originally a joke, they used it pretty much all the time, and it wasn't obvious to me growing up that it wasn't standard. (And it caused me to misspell "fork" a lot when I was young.)
It's (broadly) [faɪ.ˈjuw.lɛ]
#define FEMALE

ConlangDictionary 0.3 3/15/14 (ZBB thread)

Quis vult in terra stare,
Cum possit volitare?

Aszev
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Aszev »

Chuma wrote:It reminds me of a nowadays rather common construction we have in Swedish. "One each" used to be
var sin
each PRON.3PS.REFL
"each their (own)"
but was commonly misinterpreted as
vars en
(???) one
"for each, one"
which is really much more useful, because now you can also say
vars två
"for each, two"
which was previously impossible (you would have to say två var, "two each").
Might that be some southern thing? I've never encounterd it ever, and would probably be somewhat confused if someone said it.
Image CERVENIAN
Image JELSH
Miekko wrote:protip: no one wants to learn your conlangs. if they claim different, it's just to be friendly. this is true for all conlangers.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

finlay wrote:I mean, to be fair, I usually hear it as a joke on a cartoon or something, but I get the impression that some people actually think it's "Me two!"
When I first came to Germany, Helmut Kohl was still chancellor and jokes about his supposed poor command of English were commonplace. One I heard several times concerns three politicians arriving late to an international conference. The first (generally the British PM) gives an elaborate excuse, the second (usually the POTUS) says, "Me, too," and then Kohl chimes in with "Me three!" First time I heard it, I couldn't believe that was the punchline. Obviously the average German doesn't know this is something English-speakers say all the time.

Around the same time, the Chicago Bulls, a professional basketball team, were in their heyday. Twice they won the National Championships three times in a row, something that was first described (and copyrighted!) as a "three-peat" when the Lakers did it back in 1988. After the first "three-peat", Chicagoans started talking about a "four-peat". That didn't happen, and it was a couple years before they won another championship. After that, I actually heard people using the bizarre backformation "two-peat".

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Kohl und der englische Premierminister treffen sich auf ein Bier. Sagt der Engländer: "To your health, Helmut!" Prostet Kohl zurück: "John, to your dunkelth!"

Cockroach
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Cockroach »

I some times call my kitty cats "kitties cat", as in whoppers junior.

Tropylium⁺
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Tropylium⁺ »

faiuwle wrote:The "me three" thing has reminded me that my parents always referred to three-pronged pickle forks as "threeks" (because fo(u)rks have four prongs, so threeks have three...), and although I think it was originally a joke, they used it pretty much all the time, and it wasn't obvious to me growing up that it wasn't standard. (And it caused me to misspell "fork" a lot when I was young.)
Hmm… would that imply calling awls/ice-picks/etc. "wunks"?
Not actually new.

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

Tropylium⁺ wrote:Hmm… would that imply calling awls/ice-picks/etc. "wunks"?
And tuning-forks would be "twoks", which would confuse the heck out of Canadian headgear.

faiuwle
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by faiuwle »

No, no, in order to be part of the threek/fourk family, it had to be silverware. We did generalize to "salad threek" (at one particular restaurant that I remember) and a large serving utensil with three wide flat "tines" was the "serving threek". I remember thinking that maybe those two-pronged things that you use to poke meat and see if it's done would be a twok, but decided that since you couldn't scoop food with it it didn't count. Of course, by that time I knew it wasn't a real word...
It's (broadly) [faɪ.ˈjuw.lɛ]
#define FEMALE

ConlangDictionary 0.3 3/15/14 (ZBB thread)

Quis vult in terra stare,
Cum possit volitare?

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

I wonder if you can work out what a fivehead is, if you don't know already. Hint: it's along the same lines as fork.

ayyub
Sanci
Sanci

Post by ayyub »

Pitchfork?

Ulrike Meinhof wrote:The merger is between /8/ and /9/, merging into /8/. Seeing as they're just one number apart, that's not too strange.

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

finlay wrote:I wonder if you can work out what a fivehead is, if you don't know already. Hint: it's along the same lines as fork.
I get what it's supposed to be a pun on but have no idea what it's supposed to be. :P

derkins
Sanci
Sanci

Post by derkins »

Risla Amahendir wrote:
finlay wrote:I wonder if you can work out what a fivehead is, if you don't know already. Hint: it's along the same lines as fork.
I get what it's supposed to be a pun on but have no idea what it's supposed to be. :P
A very large forehead is a fivehead. Usually not due to a receding hairline, at least in my usage.

Io
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Io »

Is 'truthin' a regular word?
You keep lying when you oughtta be truthin
<King> Ivo, you phrase things in the most comedic manner

[quote="Jal"][quote="jme"]Thats just rude and unneeded.[/quote]That sums up Io, basically. Yet, we all love him.[/quote]

ayyub
Sanci
Sanci

Post by ayyub »

No, that's definitely not a 'regular word', but it makes sense, of course.
Ulrike Meinhof wrote:The merger is between /8/ and /9/, merging into /8/. Seeing as they're just one number apart, that's not too strange.

Lukas Kelly
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Lukas Kelly »

I'll occasionally use the phrase "at the current", as a combo between "at the moment", and "at the current moment"

äreo
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by äreo »

My sister and I use 'future' (from 'see you in the future') as a parting phrase.

Ascima mresa óscsma sáca psta numar cemea.
Cemea tae neasc ctá ms co ísbas Ascima.
Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

derkins wrote:
Risla Amahendir wrote:
A very large forehead is a fivehead. Usually not due to a receding hairline, at least in my usage.
this is the first example on google images.

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

derkins wrote:
Risla Amahendir wrote:
Reminiscent of Victor Borge's inflationary language also here, here, and here.

Also check out his phonetic punctuation (or look here if that doesn't work for you).

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

"ain't nothin' I'm gonna be doin' even have engineer in the title"
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Friday at work I heard "dago t-shirt" for "wife-beater" for I think the first time. Certainly the first time at work, where ethnic slurs are more out of place than overalls. It made me wonder what I even called such things before "wife-beater" gained widespread currency. "Tank-tops"? "Sleeveless t-shirts"? I can't even remember.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

linguoboy wrote:Friday at work I heard "dago t-shirt" for "wife-beater" for I think the first time. Certainly the first time at work, where ethnic slurs are more out of place than overalls. It made me wonder what I even called such things before "wife-beater" gained widespread currency. "Tank-tops"? "Sleeveless t-shirts"? I can't even remember.
I'd say tank top. Well, wifebeaters are white tank tops.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Nortaneous wrote:I'd say tank top. Well, wifebeaters are white tank tops.
I find I only use "tank top" to refer to a woman's garment, never a man's.

Chuma
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chuma »

Risla Amahendir wrote:I forgot to mention this before, but I went through an "amn't" phase. :P
I say that too. It makes sense.
Aszev wrote:Might that be some southern thing? I've never encounterd it ever, and would probably be somewhat confused if someone said it.
Huh. How interesting, I thought it was common throughout the country. But yeah, I guess it is, then. Perhaps there is even a regional difference between the frequency of the original var sin vs. en var?

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Chuma wrote:
Aszev wrote:Might that be some southern thing? I've never encounterd it ever, and would probably be somewhat confused if someone said it.
Huh. How interesting, I thought it was common throughout the country.
Neither have I.
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018