[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - The Innovative Usage Thread

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2453 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 99  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:30 am 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:47 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:28 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

Listening to Emmanuel Macron speak in French, I noticed that instead of carrying the liaison of the final /t/ in "c'est" over to the onset of the first syllable of the next word as in /se tyn/ 'c'est une' he maintains the /t/ on the coda of /se/ creating /set/. His prosody shows a clear pause here /set yn/. I wonder if, in his attempts to embrace a high register of French which maintains many liaisons, he is just assuming that 'c'est' will almost always follow a vowel onset.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:01 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:24 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:07 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

Sumelic, I just heard Emmanuel Macron say /set(.)da.vwaR/ c'est d'avoir, with a considerable pause between c'est and d'avoir, so it is likely a performance error because the second time he says it he does not include the liaison. What's fascinating is that he still did it that first time though.

This also apparently happens with the word débat /de.bat/.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:09 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:38 am 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:12 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:15 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:52 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I'd probably call that a clause rather than a sentence myself.

But yeah, the "because NOUN" phenomenon is interesting, because it peppers my speech all the time now, and I'm pretty sure I didn't use it or hear it when I was young, so sometime in the intervening decades I picked it up and didn't notice it at all—speaking as someone who's a little more aware than the average person of weird things like that.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:45 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:10 am 
Sanci
Sanci

An acquaintance of mine, native speaker of Kurdish and Arabic, recently used the term "Weißarbeit" ("white labor") as an antonym to "Schwarzarbeit" ("black labor"), referring to a job that is official, including a contract, regulation by law, income tax et cetera. I thought that was very creative :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:50 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

English speakers: who's replacing 'when' with 'where'? I feel that 'where' replaces a phrase like 'in which'...

Eg: There are days where you age years, and years where you age days

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:24 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:08 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

Interesting... I will have to look out for this because I have felt personally that I'm replacing 'when' with 'where' more often. A grad-student friend of mine independently brought up this topic, too, when she mentioned that the freshmen in her seminar replace the words. Hence, my curiosity in the topic.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:43 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

That does sound a bit familiar to me. I've also been noticing people use "where" in places where(!) they don't have to.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:27 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

Recently there was a hand-wringing article about the barbaristic replacement of who with that in reference to persons (e.g. "the man who I saw there" vs "the man that I saw there") and, from the response, it seems a more common peeve than I realised. I wasn't surprised to find, upon investigating, that the use of who here is the innovation, but I didn't expect it to be quite so recent. It apparently originates in the 16th century and as late as the Victorian period educated philologists were still claiming that no one uses "who" here.

The use of interrogatives as relatives is a well-known SAE feature and now I'm curious how it originated. The usual relative pronoun in Standard German is still cognate with that, but some dialects have generalised cognates of where (e.g. Alemannic e Buech, wu mer umbedingt sott läse "a book you should definitely read") and I wonder how far that goes back.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:45 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

I'm always baffled by people who get upset about that. I was always taught "who" is animate, "which" is inanimate, and "that" is either, and I had an old-fashioned uptight grammar-prescriptive education.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:35 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:58 am 
Smeric
Smeric

Last I remember, my mom's pronunciation of the word "queen" was [kʲʊˈʋɪn], and I remember her once (maybe about five years ago) telling me she was going to take a [kʲʋɪk] (quick) shower.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:14 am 
Lebom
Lebom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:44 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:00 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

On a similar note I always get thrown by the title of another thread here, "Incorrect pronunciations you have (or have had) to unlearn" because "have" /hav/ and "have to" /haftə/ are totally different mental lexical entries for me, so I always start thinking it's something I possess instead of something with which I must do something.

Like I'd have worded it "have to (or have had to)", so strong is the connection between 'have' and 'to' in my mind. (had to is also normally /hattə/ for me, is this not normal with other people too?)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:47 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2453 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 99  Next