The Innovative Usage Thread

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: The Innovative Usage Thread

Post by Yng »

I swear sometimes my emphatic 'the' has a glottal stop at the end.

This requires further investigation.
كان يا ما كان / يا صمت العشية / قمري هاجر في الصبح بعيدا / في العيون العسلية

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

Bedelato
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Bedelato »

I have "play-on" as a noun meaning "parody, spoof".

And don't even get me started on "teh"...
At, casteda dus des ometh coisen at tusta o diédem thum čisbugan. Ai, thiosa če sane búem mos sil, ne?
Also, I broke all your metal ropes and used them to feed the cheeseburgers. Yes, today just keeps getting better, doesn't it?

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

I've started eliding glottal stops entirely, including the ones coming from /t/, and barely pronouncing some other syllable-final sounds too. I must have been spending too much time speaking French.

I noticed it just now, when I said something like [ɐ̃ɑ̃bɪ̃hə̃ːʋtʏmə̃s] ("I've not been home for two months").

derkins
Sanci
Sanci

Post by derkins »

Is it innovative that I pronounce usually as [juZli] with the syllable break varying between [u.Z] and [Z.l]?

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

someone on another forum wrote:Wayfarers have been hitler mustache'd by hipsters, they'll never be ok again.
Now that is one hell of a useful phrase.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Bristel wrote:
TaylorS wrote: I also tend to call female friends my "lady-friends" to avoid any implication of intimate relationships.
I call my "lady-friends" "girlfriends" if I'm sufficiently close enough to them.
How about "friends"?
Online dictionary for my conlang Vanga: http://royalrailway.com/tungumaalMiin/Vanga/

#undef FEMALE

I'd love for you to try my game out! Here's the forum thread about it:
http://zbb.spinnwebe.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36688

Of an Ernst'ian one.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

"...he's an IT at Abbot Labs..."

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Travis B. wrote:
linguoboy wrote:Recently I've noticed my self using "manually" in cases where normal procedures are being overriden, regardless of the method by which this is achieved. For instance, my student was late swiping out today so I swiped her out "manually", i.e. I opened up the timekeeping programme and input her time out. If anything, swiping the card in the timeclock would seem a more "manual" activity than typing (although obviously both involve use of the hands).
This use of manual(ly) really seems to be quite normal to me in a present-day context, I should say.
I do that too!
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

su_liam
Sanci
Sanci

Post by su_liam »

Shm Jay wrote:
TaylorS wrote:I also tend to call female friends my "lady-friends" to avoid any implication of intimate relationships.
"My lady-friend" is someone you have sex with, especially if you are the Old Spice guy in the commercials. You don’t have "man-friends", do you? Just say "my friends".
For some purposes. Most, even. But when you say something like, "My friend says (PMS | labor | menstruation | ...etc...) ain't really all that bad," it matters.

Personally, I don't mind PMS all that much as long as I'm far enough away that the sufferer can't hitler-mustache me in the old nose-holder.
My little attempt at a blog dedicated to worldbuilding Astrographer.
World-building/Non-linguistic Resources

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

su_liam wrote: But when you say something like, "My friend says (PMS | labor | menstruation | ...etc...) ain't really all that bad," it matters.
It shouldn’t, but if you want to be specific you say "My friend Jane says..."

Christopher Schröder
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Christopher Schröder »

I've noticed that, in my present location, people tend to replace "when" with "whenever" and to use the past perfect in place of the preterite -- hence, my stepbrother says "whenever he had done" when I would say "when he did".
"Think only of the past as its remembrance gives you pleasure."
-Jane Austen, [i]Pride and Prejudice[/i]

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Shm Jay wrote:It shouldn’t, but if you want to be specific you say "My friend Jane says..."
Ah, gender-specific names for women--what a quaint custom!

su_liam
Sanci
Sanci

Post by su_liam »

"My friend Pat says," something that would be offensive if said by a member of the inappropriate gender.
My little attempt at a blog dedicated to worldbuilding Astrographer.
World-building/Non-linguistic Resources

faiuwle
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by faiuwle »

Or, you know, "I have a friend/there's a friend of mine and she says...". Actually, I find that in conversation sentences that start out in my head as nested clauses like "I have a friend who..." usually turn into conjoined sentences like "I have a friend, and s/he..." anyway.
It's (broadly) [faɪ.ˈjuw.lɛ]
#define FEMALE

ConlangDictionary 0.3 3/15/14 (ZBB thread)

Quis vult in terra stare,
Cum possit volitare?

äreo
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by äreo »

Christopher Schröder wrote:I've noticed that, in my present location, people tend to replace "when" with "whenever" and to use the past perfect in place of the preterite -- hence, my stepbrother says "whenever he had done" when I would say "when he did".
That's common here too. And what's funny is in just about every other context, the preterite is used even where I'd use the perfect, e.g. 'did you do it yet?' rather than 'have you done it yet?'

Ascima mresa óscsma sáca psta numar cemea.
Cemea tae neasc ctá ms co ísbas Ascima.
Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho.

Chuma
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chuma »

Travis B. wrote:I not infrequently catch myself (unintentionally) using we guys/us guys by analogy with you guys as a first person plural inclusive pronoun (with no implied gender, like you guys, which for me is genderless).
That's pretty useful. But intuitively I think I would be inclined to interpret it the other way, as exclusive.

Chibi wrote:I've heard this from other people before (even people that are not where I'm from) so I'm not quite sure how widespread this is, but for times between 12am and 1am, I use "midnight ____" rather than "twelve ___". Ex: 12:30am is "midnight thirty" instead of "twelve thirty"
I try to use 24-hour system consistently, so 12:30 AM is "oh thirty".

Risla Amahendir wrote:Also, I've caught myself using "an entire nother" before, and I've heard other people use it too.
Ooh, nice.

It reminds me of a nowadays rather common construction we have in Swedish. "One each" used to be
var sin
each PRON.3PS.REFL
"each their (own)"
but was commonly misinterpreted as
vars en
(???) one
"for each, one"
which is really much more useful, because now you can also say
vars två
"for each, two"
which was previously impossible (you would have to say två var, "two each").

TaylorS
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TaylorS »

su_liam wrote:"My friend Pat says," something that would be offensive if said by a member of the inappropriate gender.
Less of a problem for me because of my tendency of slipping in redundant pronouns. :)

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Shm Jay wrote:
su_liam wrote: But when you say something like, "My friend says (PMS | labor | menstruation | ...etc...) ain't really all that bad," it matters.
It shouldn’t, but if you want to be specific you say "My friend Jane says..."
For cases like these I would be inclined to use a friend of mine, which to me strongly implies a significantly more distant relationship with the person in question than my friend* would.

* My friend when spoken about someone who is not immediately present to me indicates a rather close relationship between them and the speaker, albeit without any romantic subtext, unlike its German counterparts mein Freund/meine Freundin.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Travis B. wrote:unlike its German counterparts mein Freund/meine Freundin.
German bugs me a little in that regard. I usually use ein(e) Freund(in) von mir (rather literally 'a friend of mine') when I talk about a friend I'm not in a relationship with. Otherwise I'd speak of meine Freundin ('my friend'), or mein Freund if I were a girl (or gay).

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Guitarplayer wrote:German bugs me a little in that regard. I usually use ein(e) Freund(in) von mir (rather literally 'a friend of mine') when I talk about a friend I'm not in a relationship with. Otherwise I'd speak of meine Freundin ('my friend'), or mein Freund if I were a girl (or gay).
On the other hand, German does allow for a valuable distinction between Freund and Friend (i.e. in a social networking context). So just because I've befriendet you, that hardly implies we're befreundet.

(There are some disadvantages to being the language everyone else borrows from.)

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

linguoboy wrote:just because I've befriendet you, that hardly implies we're befreundet.
Yes, and that's why it's awfully silly social networks like Facebook generally translate "friend" as "Freund". I seriously have a problem with that, and if I talk about it IRL I say "Kontakt" or use air quotes. I'm really curious whether their use of "Freund" will have any impact on how the word is defined among young people, since use of Facebook and/or Studi-/Schüler-/MeinVZ is really widespread.

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yng »

Facebook translations are frequently somewhat dodgy anyway... because the system used to put them together is massively biased towards English... languages with case systems I imagine suffer badly because for many lexical items, a single space in the database is used no matter what role in the sentence the word might be taking. It's the same problem for Welsh with its mutations; 'Defnyddio Facebook yn Cymraeg' is wrong, because there should be a mutation on 'Cymraeg', but because the code for it is something like 'use Facebook in {{Welsh}}', if you change it to the correct 'Gymraeg' there, in other places, such as 'You are currently using Welsh' or whatever, you get an incorrectly mutated word.

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Guitarplayer wrote:
linguoboy wrote:just because I've befriendet you, that hardly implies we're befreundet.
Yes, and that's why it's awfully silly social networks like Facebook generally translate "friend" as "Freund". I seriously have a problem with that, and if I talk about it IRL I say "Kontakt" or use air quotes. I'm really curious whether their use of "Freund" will have any impact on how the word is defined among young people, since use of Facebook and/or Studi-/Schüler-/MeinVZ is really widespread.
The thing is, the same applies within English to me at least; most people that are referred to as "friends" within social networks like Facebook are not people that to me one would normally call friends in Real Life but rather are just people that one knows to me, and this usage by social networks always seems rather odd and out-of-place to me. I am not sure if other English varieties circumscribe the use of the word friend as greatly as that I speak does, though.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yng »

Mmm, yes. They're actually acquaintances.

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

Travis B. wrote:
Guitarplayer wrote:
The thing is, the same applies within English to me at least; most people that are referred to as "friends" within social networks like Facebook are not people that to me one would normally call friends in Real Life but rather are just people that one knows to me, and this usage by social networks always seems rather odd and out-of-place to me. I am not sure if other English varieties circumscribe the use of the word friend as greatly as that I speak does, though.
I wonder if that's more of an individual thing more than a thing about different language "varieties", though? Like I know some people who call almost everyone they work with or have known for more than a few weeks "friends," but I don't consider anyone to really be a "friend", since I don't do anything with them outside of 'mandatory' gatherings like work/school. So I tend to think of "friend" as being one of those words with a very specific meaning for each individual person.