[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - The Innovative Usage Thread

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2453 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 99  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:24 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

Now, what English needs is a word equivalent to German Bekannte that is usable in everyday speech; the phrase person one knows and other similar forms are unwieldy, while the word acquaintance is too literary and formal for normal everyday use.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:25 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

It's very frequent where I live to drop 'to' in 'going to' where it is a non-auxiliary verb: for instance yesterday I found myself saying 'Are you goin' Carmel College?'. I think this might be restricted to when the object is a proper noun, but I'm not sure. I have no idea how widespread this is, though I'm pretty sure it's not standard.

Also just FYI, I have the same restricted definition of 'friend' Travis and others have.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:40 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:41 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:00 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

I've noticed myself using resumptive pronouns, eg "the numbers that you multiply them together to get 24".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:51 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Dang, just a couple weeks ago I caught myself using a resumptive pronoun in a weird place you wouldn't expect to have to use one. It could not grammatically be omitted, which is very unusual for English. I wish to hell I could remember what that sentence was now. :( I should start saving this kind of thing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:19 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I often end sentences with 'so' and occasionally with 'like', as tho to introduce a related topic or slight redundancy that needs not be said. For example: 'You don't need any candy right now. You've just had dessert, so' or 'All of his stuff had been taken. Naturally he was pissed off, like.'

I used to hold to that same exclusive definition of 'friend' but I've recently heard it used to refer to anyone you see regularly and like and/or whom you've had at least a few good conversations with. 'Buddy' and 'mate' are often used to mean that here too tho.

Ascima mresa óscsma sáca psta numar cemea.
Cemea tae neasc ctá ms co ísbas Ascima.
Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:21 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Ascima mresa óscsma sáca psta numar cemea.
Cemea tae neasc ctá ms co ísbas Ascima.
Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho. Carho.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:55 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Well, I'd say that's a place you would expect to find a resumptive pronoun: subclauses of RCs are much less tolerant of such gaps than the main RC is. I feel like that the example I had was strange in a different regard, though I can no longer be certain.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:52 am 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:11 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

I added an <e> to Slowly thereby rendering it Slowely. It looks so much nicer with the <e>, in my opinion. I like it even though I often complain about how unphonetic this language is.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:24 am 
Lebom
Lebom

PROTIP! Your innovative usages aren't nearly as interesting as those of other people.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:27 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:28 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:44 am 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:46 am 
Lebom
Lebom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:58 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:41 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:45 am 
Sanno
Sanno

Bickering ends now or else the betchslapping begins!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:59 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I forgot to mention this before, but I went through an "amn't" phase. :P

|

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:14 am 
Smeric
Smeric

#undef FEMALE

I'd love for you to try my game out! Here's the forum thread about it:
http://zbb.spinnwebe.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36688

Of an Ernst'ian one.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:23 am 
Lebom
Lebom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:36 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:39 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:48 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2453 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 99  Next