Latin questions

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Thomas Winwood
Lebom
Lebom

Latin questions

Post by Thomas Winwood »

What happened in Latin to initial GN? Are there any native Latin words beginning with GN which left descendants in the Romance languages, or is my only data point the non-native name GNAEVS (from Etruscan Cneve)?

Are there any Latin words which aren't derived forms where an H is surrounded by differing vowels? What happens in the daughter languages to those?

And finally, where can I find a list of Latin words? Not a dictionary - I don't care about definitions - I just want a big list of words I can plug into ASCA. (With macrons please.)

Niedokonany
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Latin questions

Post by Niedokonany »

XinuX wrote:Are there any Latin words which aren't derived forms where an H is surrounded by differing vowels? What happens in the daughter languages to those?

E.g. traho, in Spanish apparently it's just that the /h/ disappears in most forms in the present indicative (trae, traemos), only the 1sg is now traigo.
uciekajcie od światów konających

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

XinuX wrote:Are there any native Latin words beginning with GN which left descendants in the Romance languages
Are there any native Latin words beginning with gn-?

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Gnārus 'skilled'?

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

Well, you may already know this, but nacere 'to be born' was originally gnacere, which is why pregnant still has a -g-. So essentially there was a sound change replacing all initial gn- with just n-. Gnarus may be a loan or it may be an exception; I wouldnt know.
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

Twpsyn Pentref
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Twpsyn Pentref »

Soap wrote:you may already know this, but nacere 'to be born' was originally gnacere
nascere and gnascere, rather; and the verb was deponent, so nasci and gnasci.
zompist wrote:Gnārus 'skilled'?
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/res ... gn&lang=la

gnaphalion, Gnidus (for Cnidus), gnome, gnomon, gnostice, Gnosus (for Cnosus), are Greek. gnarigavit and gnarivisse are archaisms for forms of narrare attested by a grammarian; likewise gnitus and gnixus for forms of nitor; nobilis, also, was apparently once written gnobilis. Gnatia appears to be an aphetic form for Egnatia. gnavus and gnarus are both native and are related. Gnipho is a Roman name; its etymology is probably unknown. We already know about gnosco and gnascor and Gnaeus. And the remaining words on the list are derivations. It would appear that there are three native roots, corresponding to gnosco, gnascor, and gnitor, that were anciently written with the g.
So take this body at sunset to the great stream whose pulses start in the blue hills, and let these ashes drift from the Long Bridge where only a late gull breaks that deep and populous grave.