The glottal stop

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
sirred
Lebom
Lebom

The glottal stop

Post by sirred »

This may well be one of those ultra-basic things taught in Linguistics 1, but are there any (I don't want to say rules) general characteristics of languages that have the glottal stop as a phoneme? Just to make sure I am not misusing the word, what I think phoneme means is a contrasting sound, like how in English pat and cat are different words because of the first sound /ph/ and /kh/. Please don't jump down my throat if I did not analyze the sounds correctly, it isn't the point of my question.
In every U.S. presidential election between 1976 and 2004, the Republican nominee for president or for vice president was either a Dole or a Bush.

Miekko
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: The glottal stop

Post by Miekko »

Not that I know of, but re: your sig, Urho Kekkonen was president of Finland from 1956 to 1982. In a country that generally was acknowledged to be democratic.

A search at the universals archive may help, but I didn't find anything particularly interesting, most of the stuff there were sort of not very obvious, and very few were of the form "glottal stop -> X" (there were disjunctions and "X->glottal stop goes everywhere" kinds of things), things like this was the closest I found:
IF stops are the only final word margin, THEN they will be glottal stops.
< Cev> My people we use cars. I come from a very proud car culture-- every part of the car is used, nothing goes to waste. When my people first saw the car, generations ago, we called it šuŋka wakaŋ-- meaning "automated mobile".

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

sirred wrote:Just to make sure I am not misusing the word, what I think phoneme means is a contrasting sound
Correct, that's a phoneme.
like how in English pat and cat are different words because of the first sound /ph/ and /kh/.
Well, either (in this case preferable, since we're talking phonemes) you say /p/ and /k/, because those are the phonemes, or you say [ph] and [kh], as phones (since aspiration is not phonemic in English).

JAL

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

Miekko wrote:Not that I know of, but re: your sig, Urho Kekkonen was president of Finland from 1956 to 1982. In a country that generally was acknowledged to be democratic.

A search at the universals archive may help, but I didn't find anything particularly interesting, most of the stuff there were sort of not very obvious, and very few were of the form "glottal stop -> X" (there were disjunctions and "X->glottal stop goes everywhere" kinds of things), things like this was the closest I found:
IF stops are the only final word margin, THEN they will be glottal stops.
I couldnt find that on the site. By final word margin, do you mean the last consonant in a word? Inuit violates that, since it has the only permissible final consonants in a word as -q -k -t (and maybe -p, though I cant find a word that ends in it) and no glottal stop. I suppose it could be interpreted as saying "if all words must end in a stop (i.e. no vowels), that stop must be a glottal stop." But does such a language even exist? A language where all words must end in a glottal stop?

edit: ah, I found it. Direct linking doesnt seem to work though.
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Soap wrote:Inuit violates that, since it has the only permissible final consonants in a word as -q -k -t (and maybe -p, though I cant find a word that ends in it) and no glottal stop.
Isn't the [ergative?] suffix something like -up?

Noriega
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Noriega »

Astraios wrote:
Soap wrote:Inuit violates that, since it has the only permissible final consonants in a word as -q -k -t (and maybe -p, though I cant find a word that ends in it) and no glottal stop.
Isn't the [ergative?] suffix something like -up?
Yes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuit_grammar#Subjects_2
E.g. Piitaup paliisi takupauk? - Does Peter see the policeman?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuit_phonology says
"There are also some restrictions on final consonants, where only voiceless plosives (/p t k q/) can occur unless consonant sandhi has occurred."
Perhaps eventually all languages will evolve so that they include some clicks among their consonants – Peter Ladefoged

Jahai: /kpotkpɛt/ ‘the feeling of waking up to the sound of munching’