How much does linguistics knowledge help in learning languag

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
somstuff
Niš
Niš

How much does linguistics knowledge help in learning languag

Post by somstuff »

I conlang a bit, and I know a few things about linguistics and how language works, so do you think that would help me learn languages? Anyone have experience?

It seems like, since I know more about the general structure of language, learning grammar would be kind of like piecing together the details of that structure - rather than just learning long lists of grammar rules which don't really have any context.

Yng
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: How much does linguistics knowledge help in learning lan

Post by Yng »

It can help understand a lot of things, like for example the distinction between ce qui and ce que in French, or case distinctions in German, which other people can find very difficult. It's not a magical key that opens up a wonderful world of instant learning, but it's certainly handy.
كان يا ما كان / يا صمت العشية / قمري هاجر في الصبح بعيدا / في العيون العسلية

tà yi póbo tsùtsùr ciivà dè!

short texts in Cuhbi

Risha Cuhbi grammar

Xonen
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Xonen »

IME, it helps a lot. However, the price you pay is that, if you ever have to use learning materials or take courses intended for those less in the know, you risk getting really frustrated.
[quote="Funkypudding"]Read Tuomas' sig.[/quote]

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Xonen wrote:IME, it helps a lot. However, the price you pay is that, if you ever have to use learning materials or take courses intended for those less in the know, you risk getting really frustrated.
This. :evil:

Declan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Declan »

I agree, it definitely helps, because it cuts out a lot of explanation. However, you're still left with a lot of practice to be able to apply those rules without having to think about it. In some ways, I think actually learning a few languages might be more helpful because you get used to the process, and it gets quicker the more you learn.
[quote]Great wit and madness near abide, and fine a line their bounds divide.[/quote]

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

Astraios wrote:
Xonen wrote:IME, it helps a lot. However, the price you pay is that, if you ever have to use learning materials or take courses intended for those less in the know, you risk getting really frustrated.
This. :evil:
This is what put me off taking evening classes to learn Polish: the course didn't do the dative and instrumental until the second year.
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

Soren
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Soren »

I've found it a huge help with learning pronunciation and grammar, which opens up more time for practice/exposure and vocabulary learning. I agree with Xonen though that it can make some resources frustrating to use.

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

I find it helpful, mostly in languages that are very different than those I know. Japanese, for example, was quite strange for me at the beginning; but after I learned grammar more deeply, it became very simple. Foreign languages that are different than those you know have different structure, and you are not used to their structure; knowing the grammatical principles the structure is based on allows you to understand it and not have as much trouble with it. Also, knowing how to pronounce more sounds, and being able to define them, helps in the pronunciation of foreign languages, which can be quite frustrating otherwise (although that is not enough to pronounce them truly correctly. I learned the Japanese R by watching Japanese television rather than by knowing the sound, which I did not know at all, for example.)
Přemysl wrote:
Kereb wrote:they are nerdissimus inter nerdes
Oh god, we truly are nerdy. My first instinct was "why didn't he just use sunt and have it all in Latin?".
Languages I speak fluently
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

Khvaragh
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Khvaragh »

IME, having a knowledge of linguistics has significantly helped me in learning Hebrew (Classical, not Modern) and Syriac. A good grounding in diachronic linguistics makes recognizing cognates, similar grammatical structures, usage, etc. has been invaluable to me (for example, I can guess at the meanings of X word by figuring out its cognates, which even if the semantics aren't spot on, makes reading much easier), and I don't know if I would be as able to do so without it. Like has been stated by others here though, it's not a magic key, but it does help, and enables one to avoid some of the fuzzy "common language" definitions which often confuse beginners.
لا يرقىء الله عيني من بكى حجراً
ولا شفى وجد من يصبو إلى وتدِ
("May God never dry the tears of those who cry over stones, nor ease the love-pangs of those who yearn for tent-pegs.") - Abu Nawas

Hakaku
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Hakaku »

I find linguistic knowledge helpful if I'm more interested in learning about the particular aspects of a language in detail. Then I can simply look online and find academic resources to further my interest. However, I don't actually find it that helpful in terms of learning a language to communicate. This is primarily due to the fact that courses and textbooks designed for the masses will take their time introducing different topics and use a more practical and interactive approach for everyday learning. This allows for you to get a better grasp of the language by forcing you to use it.

But in a sense, both approaches complement each other, and as long as you don't expect general courses and the such to be linguistically technical, you won't be bashing your head through a wall.
Chances are it's Ryukyuan (Resources).