German Questions

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Miekko
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: German Questions

Post by Miekko »

Erde wrote:
Matter and antimatter have the exact same gravity and act exactly the same on it.

Go and learn.
Antimatter does not repel other antimatter?
why would it, any more so than matter repels matter?
< Cev> My people we use cars. I come from a very proud car culture-- every part of the car is used, nothing goes to waste. When my people first saw the car, generations ago, we called it šuŋka wakaŋ-- meaning "automated mobile".

Xonen
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Xonen »

Erde wrote:
Matter and antimatter have the exact same gravity and act exactly the same on it.

Go and learn.
Precisely to the same extent as matter repels other matter; ie. an antimatter ball over an antimatter floor will behave exactly like a matter ball over a matter floor. What your antimatter ball would do upon coming to contact with any surface made of regular matter, though, would be rendering the question of which German preposition to use rather irrelevant.

EDIT: I type too slowly. Meh.
[quote="Funkypudding"]Read Tuomas' sig.[/quote]

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Doch wrote:
linguofreak wrote: It's basically [C] after front vowels, [x] otherwise, unless you're trying to put on a Swiss accent, in which case it's pretty much always [x].
Actually, it is [x] after back-vowels and [ç] otherwise, except in certain loanwords and if a non-affix [s] is following in the same syllable (then it is [k]).
I've got [χ] after /a(:)/, which I always thought was a common feature of Standard German as well.

And I can't recall hearing any Swiss with [ʃ] for /ç/. I guess that could happen if they were trying to approximate a Standard German German accent since they typically lack [ç] in their phonetic inventories. But the ones I knew (and I used to live scant kilometres from the border) used [x] bzw. [χ].

In Alemannic dialect, StGer [ç] typically corresponds to [0], e.g. i kumm gli = "Ich komme gleich".

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

linguoboy wrote:I've got [χ] after /a(:)/, which I always thought was a common feature of Standard German as well.
Yes it is. IME most speakers of Standard German have [χ] or at least [x̠] (i.e. a postvelar fricative) after /ʊ ɔ/ as well, so that a truly velar [x] is only heard after /uː oː/. This distinction is fairly minor though; unlike the Swiss [x~χ] or the Rhineland [ʃ] in positions where a Standard speaker would expect [ç], a "wrong" realisation of [x~χ] in back environments will normally go unnoticed.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

cedh audmanh wrote:This distinction is fairly minor though; unlike the Swiss [x~χ] or the Rhineland [ʃ] in positions where a Standard speaker would expect [ç], a "wrong" realisation of [x~χ] in back environments will normally go unnoticed.
Yeah, it took me years to even notice the phonetic difference there--and I theoretically learned to distinguish velar and uvular fricatives when I studied phonetics.

I really would be curious to hear more feedback from native speakers on the whole da-/wo- + Präp. question. Braucht ihr einige Mustersätze?

Doch
Niš
Niš

Post by Doch »

linguoboy wrote:
Doch wrote:
linguofreak wrote: It's basically [C] after front vowels, [x] otherwise, unless you're trying to put on a Swiss accent, in which case it's pretty much always [x].
Actually, it is [x] after back-vowels and [ç] otherwise, except in certain loanwords and if a non-affix [s] is following in the same syllable (then it is [k]).
I've got [χ] after /a(:)/, which I always thought was a common feature of Standard German as well.
It is. I just kept that out for simplicity.

I, for example, only use [χ] after all back vowels.

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

linguoboy wrote:I really would be curious to hear more feedback from native speakers on the whole da-/wo- + Präp. question. Braucht ihr einige Mustersätze?
Wäre nicht schlecht :)

Terra
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Terra »

Miekko wrote:
Erde wrote:

Go and learn.
why would it, any more so than matter repels matter?
Xonen wrote:
Erde wrote:

Go and learn.
Precisely to the same extent as matter repels other matter; ie. an antimatter ball over an antimatter floor will behave exactly like a matter ball over a matter floor. What your antimatter ball would do upon coming to contact with any surface made of regular matter, though, would be rendering the question of which German preposition to use rather irrelevant.

EDIT: I type too slowly. Meh.
I see that I have a fundamental misunderstanding as to what antimatter is. Please disregard all my posts about it.