Polyglottal Telephone 14

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
míkl
Sanci
Sanci

Re: Polyglottal Telephone 14

Post by míkl »

Woo, Afrikaans, this'll be fun, I'm really glad I offered it actually.
Native: English
Intermediate: Español
Basic-Intermediate: Français
Basic: Afrikaans
Rudimentary Knowledge: Deutsch, 한국어
Interested In: 日本語

mouse
Sanci
Sanci

Post by mouse »

Woo, Dutch at the end of the run, this'll be hard. Will be fun.
merijn wrote:I am looking forward to it!
finlay wrote: 10. míkl: Afrikaans (6 Jul)
11. merijn: Dutch (9 Jul) [This is a lousy link, I know, so if you want you can also do into Zulu; again, nobody else offered Zulu so I couldn't put that down]
I don't mind at all. I have been on an Afrikaans binge lately anyway (reading a lot of Afrikaans texts, reading about Afrikaans grammar). And if it is going to be English to Dutch it is going to be a piece of cake for me. I would have been very surprised if I could have used my Zulu expertise, though that would have been the most fun to me, so I mentioned it for that one percent chance I could use it.
That's the same with how I thought of Pali, there. If only we had the elusive Zulu-Pali translator to put in the gap.
http://nomadicvillage.wordpress.com/

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

Consider yourself lucky. The last time we got somebody to do a more bizarre language he vanished into the Bermuda fucking Triangle halfway through doing it.

Fare thee well Psellos, we barely knew thee...
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

I'm already finished – and starting to think the 3 day limit is a bit long. :P

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

And I'm up. I may not finish tonight, though.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

treskro wrote:Japanese :cry:

8)

I'm pretty sure I sent Mandarin to Zoris in either the last PGT or the one before that, but w/e.
Yeah, that's pretty much going to happen with languages that aren't offered very much.

tubragg
Sanci
Sanci

Post by tubragg »

Rest assured that any part of Team A's text that hasn't been mangled before the last leg will be so by me.

I don't actually know German, but I did find a couple of dictionaries in the recycling bin once. :D

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

tubragg wrote:I don't actually know German, but I did find a couple of dictionaries in the recycling bin once. :D
fffffffffffff
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

finlay wrote:The holy order of PGTXIV:
9. Mr. Z: Spanish (3 Jul) [If you find it too difficult, you can switch to English, since míkl will do both]
Ok, I'll do my best. But is anyone here willing to check my Spanish translation, just to make sure I don't make any mistakes?
Přemysl wrote:
Kereb wrote:they are nerdissimus inter nerdes
Oh god, we truly are nerdy. My first instinct was "why didn't he just use sunt and have it all in Latin?".
Languages I speak fluently
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Mr. Z wrote:But is anyone here willing to check my Spanish translation, just to make sure I don't make any mistakes?
Getting the wrong interpretation is part of the fun of Telephones. :D

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

I assure you, however you fuck up the Spanish, someone has fucked up things worse.

Anyway, I would have signed up for this but I haven't been looking at L&L and didn't see it in time. Feel free to bug me if you suddenly find a need for something translated out of any Romance language (within reason :mrgreen:) into Spanish or English.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

you realise that if candrodor drops out you'll get Old Spanish, right? Just checking. :P

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

5. Jetboy: Ancient Greek (21 Jun) [If you can't find a dictionary, I guess you can do Latin instead, since hwhatting has both down on his list ]
6. hwhatting: Polish (24 Jun)
Actually, Latin would be the easier choice for me. But if you find a dictionary, bring on the Ancient Greek!

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

Astraios wrote:
Mr. Z wrote:But is anyone here willing to check my Spanish translation, just to make sure I don't make any mistakes?
Getting the wrong interpretation is part of the fun of Telephones. :D
So say some camps. It seems to me like quite a few people who used to do these don't opt for them anymore because they were strong advocates of only participating if you are strongly competent in the language-- linguoboy was so hostile on this point that he pretty much scared me off from daring to volunteer in any PGT. It seems to me there's a pretty large happy medium that isn't being occupied here.....
The Gospel of Thomas

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Xephyr wrote:So say some camps. It seems to me like quite a few people who used to do these don't opt for them anymore because they were strong advocates of only participating if you are strongly competent in the language-- linguoboy was so hostile on this point that he pretty much scared me off from daring to volunteer in any PGT. It seems to me there's a pretty large happy medium that isn't being occupied here.....
Well, obviously you need to be competent enough in the language so that it's grammatically correct and everything, but mistranslations are fun because the whole point of the Telephone is to compare the end product with the original.

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

Astraios wrote:
Xephyr wrote:So say some camps. It seems to me like quite a few people who used to do these don't opt for them anymore because they were strong advocates of only participating if you are strongly competent in the language-- linguoboy was so hostile on this point that he pretty much scared me off from daring to volunteer in any PGT. It seems to me there's a pretty large happy medium that isn't being occupied here.....
Well, obviously you need to be competent enough in the language so that it's grammatically correct and everything, but mistranslations are fun because the whole point of the Telephone is to compare the end product with the original.
I know. What I'm saying is, there have been some people who have been strongly against that position, who curmudgeonly insisted on a much higher level of accuracy.
The Gospel of Thomas

faiuwle
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by faiuwle »

IIRC, what linguoboy was complaining about was when he would get texts that were full of confusing grammar mistakes, not when he would get texts that were mostly grammatical but highly nonsensical (which is par for the course late in the game, really). This time I got to translate something that made complete sense (and which I picked, too), whereas in the past I've always been near the end of the chain and the text rarely made any sense. It wasn't really any more difficult to translate the nonsensical text just because it was nonsensical, I don't think.
It's (broadly) [faɪ.ˈjuw.lɛ]
#define FEMALE

ConlangDictionary 0.3 3/15/14 (ZBB thread)

Quis vult in terra stare,
Cum possit volitare?

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

faiuwle wrote:IIRC, what linguoboy was complaining about was when he would get texts that were full of confusing grammar mistakes, not when he would get texts that were mostly grammatical but highly nonsensical (which is par for the course late in the game, really). This time I got to translate something that made complete sense (and which I picked, too), whereas in the past I've always been near the end of the chain and the text rarely made any sense. It wasn't really any more difficult to translate the nonsensical text just because it was nonsensical, I don't think.
It's still confusing as hell though. I don't understand the theme at all. It's like something out of the Middle Ages combined with magical realism or something bizarre....
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

tubragg
Sanci
Sanci

Post by tubragg »

Xephyr wrote:
tubragg wrote:I don't actually know German, but I did find a couple of dictionaries in the recycling bin once. :D
fffffffffffff
Or, as it is spelled in German:

vvvvvvvvvvvvv

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

tubragg wrote:
Xephyr wrote:
fffffffffffff
Or, as it is spelled in German:

vvvvvvvvvvvvv
I have this burning hope that Jmcd uses as much idiomatic language and complex grammar as humanly possible. And judging from the text since I have it right now, I'd say it's ripe for such grammar and expressions.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

faiuwle
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by faiuwle »

Viktor77 wrote:It's still confusing as hell though. I don't understand the theme at all. It's like something out of the Middle Ages combined with magical realism or something bizarre....
I hope my translation wasn't that weird. Although, that's not really an inaccurate description of the source overall, come to that.
It's (broadly) [faɪ.ˈjuw.lɛ]
#define FEMALE

ConlangDictionary 0.3 3/15/14 (ZBB thread)

Quis vult in terra stare,
Cum possit volitare?

tatapyranga
Lebom
Lebom

Post by tatapyranga »

faiuwle wrote:
Viktor77 wrote:It's still confusing as hell though. I don't understand the theme at all. It's like something out of the Middle Ages combined with magical realism or something bizarre....
I hope my translation wasn't that weird. Although, that's not really an inaccurate description of the source overall, come to that.
Dudes, spoilers!
There is only one god and his name is Death. And there's only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today'.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

I've submitted mine. That was difficult and time consuming! I had to make some serious concessions unfortunately to make sense of what Faiuwle had sent me. Some of the clauses were bizarre and the punctuation was crazy and nonsensical; I left it unchanged. All I can say is good luck to the next people! That was a challenge just translating into French. I can't imagine Ancient Greek.

I used the Passé Simple and the Imperfect Subjunctive. So be weary Mister Bernie! :P
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

Keep it going fast! That way I don't have to do this one and the conlang one at the same time!
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

MisterBernie
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by MisterBernie »

Viktor77 wrote:I used the Passé Simple and the Imperfect Subjunctive. So be weary Mister Bernie! :P
Well, my French teacher always said I used way too archaic grammar... :P

But oh dear... I think I'll digest the alcohol first and then start on that.
Constructed Voices - Another conlanging/conworlding blog.
Latest post: Joyful Birth of the Oiled One