The "How do You Pronounce X" Thread

Discussion of natural languages, or language in general.
Sumelic
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: The "How do You Pronounce X" Thread

Post by Sumelic »

linguoboy wrote:FWIW, the l is intrusive. (The etymon is catawba.)
Hmm, not according to Wikipedia.

Some additional words:
  • haiku
  • samurai
  • ouroboros
  • uroboros

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

haiku: /ˌhaɪˈku/ [ˌhaeˈkʰu] (a notable exception to Canadian Raising before fortis obstruents in my dialect)
samurai: /ˈsæməraɪ/ [ˈsɛ̃ːmʁ̩ːʁaːe]
ouroboros, uroboros: These are not native words in my dialect; I have never actually heard them spoken, so I do not know how I should "natively" pronounce them.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

haiku /ˈhaɪkʰu/
samurai /ˌsæmɞˈɹ̱aɪ/ (I'm not certain about the second vowel here)
ouroboros /oʊ̯ˌɹ̱oʊ̯ˈbɔɹ̱oʊ̯s/
uroboros -- I don't know this word; my guess would be: /uˌɹ̱oʊ̯ˈbɔɹ̱oʊ̯s/
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

alynnidalar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alynnidalar »

/haɪˈkʰu/
/ˈsɛəməɹˌaɪ/
/ˌɔərəˈbɔəɹɪs/ (I don't know if I've ever actually heard this said--I might have just come up with this pronunciation based on reading the word)
uroboros, I've never seen, so I don't know how to pronounce it!

I don't quite know what my r is, so I didn't even bother trying to figure it out. It is probably not actually [ɹ].
I generally forget to say, so if it's relevant and I don't mention it--I'm from Southern Michigan and speak Inland North American English. Yes, I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift; no, I don't have the cot-caught merger; and it is called pop.

TaylorS
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TaylorS »

Sumelic wrote: Some additional words:
  • haiku
  • samurai
  • ouroboros
  • uroboros
/ˈhaɪku/ [ˈhʌɪkɯ]
/ˈsæməɹaɪ/ [ˈsæməɹˤɑɪ]
/ˌuɹoˈboɹos/ [ɹ̩ˤoˈboɹˤos]
/ˌjuɹoˈboɹos/ [jɹ̩ˤoˈboɹˤos]

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh »

ˈhɐɪ̯.kʏʉ̯
ˈsæ.mə.ʋɹɐɪ̯

I've always said it: [ɔː.ʋɹə.ˈbɔː.ʋɹəs]. At a guess of the second one I'd say [ɞː.ʋɹə.ˈbɔː.ʋɹəs].

But looking at Wikipedia, it'd be more like [jʏː.ʋɹə.ˈbɒ.ʋɹəs] or [ɔː.ˈʋɹɒ.bə.ʋɹəs], though I prefer the second one. That first one sounbds like "You're a borras." (whatever a borras is, lol).
It was about time I changed this.

schyrsivochter
Lebom
Lebom

Post by schyrsivochter »

Here are my versions of the words from the start post, as accurately as I can (and want to) transcribe them:

closer [ˈkɫ̥ɜɵ̯.sə]
cuneiform [ˈkj̥ʉː.niː.ə.ˌfoːm]
hair, her and heir [hæ̈ː] [hɞ̜ː] [ʔɛːɐ̯]

factory [ˈfæ̞k.tʰə.ɻɪ]
factorial [fæk.ˈtʰoːɻɪ.ˌʌɫ]
century [ˈsɛn.t͡ʃə.ɻɪ]
centurion [sɜn.ˈtj̥ʉː.ɻɪ.ən]
victory [ˈvɪk.tʰə.ɻɪ]
victorious [vɪk.ˈtʰoː.ɻɪ.ə̹s]
restaurant [ˈɻɛs.tʰə.ɻɑˑntʰ]
restauranteur ???
history [ˈhɪs.tʰə.ɻɪ]
historical [hɪs.ˈtʰo.ɻɪ.kɫ̩]
mystery [ˈmɪs.tʰə.ɻɪ]
mysterious [mɪs.ˈtʰɪ.ɻɪ.əs]
interest [ˈʔɪn.tʰə̆.ɻɜstʰ]
interesting [ˈʔɪn.tɻ̊ɜs.tʰɪŋ]
interestingly [ʔɪn.ˈtɻ̊ɜs.tʰɪŋ.lɪ]

plosive [pl̥ɜɵ̯.sɪv̥]

I learned English as a second language and haven’t been to the UK. I learned British pronunciation only from watching Sherlock ^^, but, as you can see, my pronunciation seems about right—there are maybe a few things that a native speaker would handle differently, though. Anyway, I’m careful to not use American English any more. (A while ago I just decided that I wanted to learn real, good British pronunciation and try to memorise the differences between American and British English.) I seem to use [ɻ] and [ɹ] interchangeably (haven’t quite found out yet), so I transcribed both as [ɻ], which I see as my standard. (I was sad to read that this is only common in some American dialects, and the ‘normal’ sound is [ɹ]. I’m already working on it!)
My version of the SCA²

About my conlangs: No. 1 is my proto-language, and No. 4, my main conlang, is one of its descendants. I’m currently revising 4, calling it 4a.

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

One can distinguish between American English and British English in spelling and, to some extent in vocabulary*. In pronunciation, however, there are perhaps greater differences from one end of either country to another than there are between Oxford and the Midwest.

*But even that is exaggerated: people do use 'pants' to mean 'trousers' in Yorkshire though for example.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

schyrsivochter wrote:I seem to use [ɻ] and [ɹ] interchangeably (haven’t quite found out yet), so I transcribed both as [ɻ], which I see as my standard. (I was sad to read that this is only common in some American dialects, and the ‘normal’ sound is [ɹ]. I’m already working on it!)
That's funny for this American to hear because I associate a true retroflex /r/ with Hiberno-English and the traditional accent of the West Country (now sadly much in decline). Offhand, I can't think of a single American variety which uses it.

So just vocalise your dark l's, drop your h's, centralise /au/ and round /ai/, and people with think you're from near Bristol.

schyrsivochter
Lebom
Lebom

Post by schyrsivochter »

linguoboy wrote:So just vocalise your dark l's, drop your h's, centralise /au/ and round /ai/, and people with think you're from near Bristol.
You don’t mean me with that, do you?

But apart from that, where would you put someone with that pronunciation?
My version of the SCA²

About my conlangs: No. 1 is my proto-language, and No. 4, my main conlang, is one of its descendants. I’m currently revising 4, calling it 4a.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

schyrsivochter wrote:
linguoboy wrote:So just vocalise your dark l's, drop your h's, centralise /au/ and round /ai/, and people with think you're from near Bristol.
You don’t mean me with that, do you?
This advice is for anyone with a true retroflex /r/ and an otherwise RP-ish accent.
schyrsivochter wrote:But apart from that, where would you put someone with that pronunciation?
With what pronunciation?

schyrsivochter
Lebom
Lebom

Post by schyrsivochter »

My pronunciation.
My version of the SCA²

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

You'll have to actually give us recordings first.

schyrsivochter
Lebom
Lebom

Post by schyrsivochter »

… I meant with the transcription I posted. If that isn’t sufficient, then I’m sorry, forget that question.
My version of the SCA²

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

schyrsivochter wrote:… I meant with the transcription I posted. If that isn’t sufficient, then I’m sorry, forget that question.
I think my perception of it as non-native would overwhelm any regional features. Offhand, for instance, I can't think of any native variety with aspiration of /t/ in the cluster /st/. So if I heard [hɪs.ˈtʰo.ɻɪ.kɫ̩], my first reaction would be "This is someone who's never heard this word spoken aloud by a native speaker." (The stressed vowel here is also a giveaway. In GA it would be [ɒ], with some varieties fronting it to [a] or even further. RP has [ɔː] here. I'm pretty sure it belongs to the FORCE lexical set everywhere, so you'd only expect [o] in those rare varieties without the horse-hoarse merger, such as Caribbean and Indian English.)

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

schyrsivochter wrote:… I meant with the transcription I posted. If that isn’t sufficient, then I’m sorry, forget that question.
My first impression was Boston, but as I read more I have to agree with linguoboy and go with foreign.
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

schyrsivochter
Lebom
Lebom

Post by schyrsivochter »

linguoboy wrote:Offhand, for instance, I can't think of any native variety with aspiration of /t/ in the cluster /st/. So if I heard [hɪs.ˈtʰo.ɻɪ.kɫ̩], my first reaction would be "This is someone who's never heard this word spoken aloud by a native speaker." (The stressed vowel here is also a giveaway. In GA it would be [ɒ], with some varieties fronting it to [a] or even further. RP has [ɔː] here.
I’d think it was the norm, aspirating the t in history or historical, since the s is in a different syllable?

And as for the [oː], it’s the phoneme /ɔː/, I know. I just observed that this phoneme tends to be pronounced [ɔ̝ː] or even [oː] in British English and I’m mimicking that.
My version of the SCA²

schyrsivochter
Lebom
Lebom

Post by schyrsivochter »

I just read that it is pronounced /hɪˈstɒɹɪkəl/ in British English—I’ve apparently been mis-pronouncing that! So I’ll just correct it (thanks for pointing that out to me!):
closer [ˈkɫ̥ɜɵ̯.sə]
cuneiform [ˈkj̥ʉː.niː.ə.ˌfoːm]
hair, her and heir [hæ̈ː] [hɞ̜ː] [ʔɛːɐ̯]

factory [ˈfæ̞k.tʰə.ɻɪ]
factorial [fæk.ˈtʰoːɻɪ.ˌʌɫ]
century [ˈsɛn.t͡ʃə.ɻɪ]
centurion [sɜn.ˈtj̥ʉː.ɻɪ.ən]
victory [ˈvɪk.tʰə.ɻɪ]
victorious [vɪk.ˈtʰoː.ɻɪ.ə̹s]
restaurant [ˈɻɛs.tʰə.ɻɑˑntʰ]
restauranteur ???
history [ˈhɪs.tʰə.ɻɪ]
historical [hɪs.ˈtɒ.ɻɪ.kɫ̩]
mystery [ˈmɪs.tʰə.ɻɪ]
mysterious [mɪs.ˈtʰɪ.ɻɪ.əs]
interest [ˈʔɪn.tʰə̆.ɻɜstʰ]
interesting [ˈʔɪn.tɻ̊ɜs.tʰɪŋ]
interestingly [ʔɪn.ˈtɻ̊ɜs.tʰɪŋ.lɪ]

plosive [pl̥ɜɵ̯.sɪv̥]
My version of the SCA²

Mâq Lar
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Mâq Lar »

jmcd wrote: *But even that is exaggerated: people do use 'pants' to mean 'trousers' in Yorkshire though for example.
That's news to me as a Yorkshireman! I've only heard 'pants' to mean 'underwear' or 'rubbish' (as in 'that movie was pants')

Moq Grammar Sketch
1 - Intro & Phonology
2 - Basic Noun Phrases
3 - Basic Verbal Clauses
4 - Grammatical Relations

5 - Clause Chaining
Illitjî cultural posts:
Illitjî number system
Illitjî calendar
-
-

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

Maybe it's another part of Yorkshire. In any case, someone from Yorkshire I knew at uni used to say that. Having googled it, I found confirmation of this usage in Lancashire and Yorkshire: https://www.reddit.com/r/britishproblem ... when_they/.

Mâq Lar
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Mâq Lar »

jmcd wrote:Maybe it's another part of Yorkshire. In any case, someone from Yorkshire I knew at uni used to say that. Having googled it, I found confirmation of this usage in Lancashire and Yorkshire: https://www.reddit.com/r/britishproblem ... when_they/.
Interesting! It's always been 'trousers' among my family or friends (apart from the ones who call them 'keks'). There's a surprising amount of variation in a small range of distance

Moq Grammar Sketch
1 - Intro & Phonology
2 - Basic Noun Phrases
3 - Basic Verbal Clauses
4 - Grammatical Relations

5 - Clause Chaining
Illitjî cultural posts:
Illitjî number system
Illitjî calendar
-
-

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

schyrsivochter wrote:I’d think it was the norm, aspirating the t in history or historical, since the s is in a different syllable?
/st/ is normally pronounced as a cluster in English. The only exceptions I can think of involve compounds, e.g. pisstake with [tʰ] vs mistake with [st].
schyrsivochter wrote:And as for the [oː], it’s the phoneme /ɔː/, I know. I just observed that this phoneme tends to be pronounced [ɔ̝ː] or even [oː] in British English and I’m mimicking that.
But you didn't write [oː] there, you wrote [o]. Is this a phonetic transcription or isn't it?

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

linguoboy wrote:
I think my perception of it as non-native would overwhelm any regional features. Offhand, for instance, I can't think of any native variety with aspiration of /t/ in the cluster /st/. So if I heard [hɪs.ˈtʰo.ɻɪ.kɫ̩], my first reaction would be "This is someone who's never heard this word spoken aloud by a native speaker." (The stressed vowel here is also a giveaway. In GA it would be [ɒ], with some varieties fronting it to [a] or even further. RP has [ɔː] here. I'm pretty sure it belongs to the FORCE lexical set everywhere, so you'd only expect [o] in those rare varieties without the horse-hoarse merger, such as Caribbean and Indian English.)
I can see why you might think that but I at least don't put it in the FORCE lexical set as I don't have the horse-hoarse merger and I pronounce force [fo:ɾs] or [fo:ɹs] whereas I pronounce historical [hɘstɔːrɘkəɫ̩].

And Arthur Conan Doyle was initially brought up in my hometown and studied there as well. Joseph Bell, the inspiration for Conan Doyle's famous series, was likewise a denizen of the Athens of the North.

EDIT: Having checked wikipedia, some Indian English varieties does have the pronunciation /oː/, but only in varieties with the horse-hoarse merger.

Sumelic
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Sumelic »

I thought histORical was in the same lexical set as "orange" and "horrible." So /ɒr/ in British English, which has the vowel of LOT instead of FORCE (see this post on John Wells's phonetic blog which describes how "historian" and "historical" have different stressed vowels in Received Pronunciation). It is merged with NORTH(~FORCE) in some varieties of American English by a tense-lax merger parallel to the the merry-marry-Mary merger.

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh »

Mâq Lar wrote:
jmcd wrote: *But even that is exaggerated: people do use 'pants' to mean 'trousers' in Yorkshire though for example.
That's news to me as a Yorkshireman! I've only heard 'pants' to mean 'underwear' or 'rubbish' (as in 'that movie was pants')
Maybe it's more Lancastrians? I knew a man from near Manchester that'd say "pants" for trousers.
It was about time I changed this.